1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Parking/camping mt buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Frodo, May 30, 2017.

1. Frodo

Frodo Hard Yards

Hi guys

I'm planning on heading to mt Buller opening weekend and have a few options for sleeping arrangements! I have been to mt Buller before so I am kind of familiar with the area but I have only been by bus and am not sure about parking!

My options for the sleeping arrangements are:

1) camping/sleeping in car! Me and my mate both have swags that we can set up but we may also have a few people come with us who would not so would have to take a tent or just sleep in our cars! If we were to do this what would be the best spot for this? And also if the best spot for this option is outside of the national park area is there a certain time that you need to leave by? As we would like to hang around after skiing in the afternoon and check out a few bars and have some dinner up there before heading back down!

2) book a room on the mountain! If we do this is there overnight parking available on the mountain? I'm also very familiar with Perisher and know that they pretty much have no overnight parking there! Is my Buller the same? And if there is not what are the options we would have for parking?

Also which of these options would be more cost effective in terms of parking? Not including paying for the accomodation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Down buttercup road there are plenty of camping spots (outside of the national park).

Or, yes you can park up on the mountain overnight and pay a pretty penny for your taxi transfer and car parking.

If there a few of you renting a house in Swamill Settlement might be the go, can be very cheap if you have few.

ladycamper and Frodo like this.
  3. wolly

wolly One of Us

there is a camping area at carters rd, just past sawmill settlement, it has a fire pit and toilets and its free

ladycamper, Frodo and 2ESki like this.
  4. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Carters Road camp had new pit toilets put in within the last 5 years to replace the old ones that were dark, smelly and decrepit. There is a fire pit, a table with seats, and water can be collected nearby. The road can usually be accessed by any ordinary car, though its unsealed. Buttercup is further out......Carters is only around 500m from the main road to Buller.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Carters looking lovely a.t.m.

stridercdh and ladycamper like this.
  6. Frodo

Frodo Hard Yards

aright cheers guys ill have to check those out!

so its looking like ill be going with the first option! just a few more questions to go with that though. is there a set time that you have to leave the day carpark by? wouldn't mind hanging around for a bit after skiing before heading back to camp! also being on a budget, how much would the taxi from the carpark to the village cost? and is it possible and easy enough to walk up instead of paying for a taxi?

7. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You only need the taxi when you have luggage otherwise there is a free shuttle bus if you are a day visitor. Not sure if it will be running just yet as season hasn't officially opened.

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of time after skiing to get the shuttle down, in fact I'd spend that time doing something enjoyable rather than standing in the long line if you're happy to leave late, cos on a busy day you're going to be leaving late regardless.

9. jgm

jgm Addicted

The free carpark bus runs until 6.00pm normally, but goes till 8.30pm when there is night skiing (Wednesday & Saturday).

10. Frodo

Frodo Hard Yards

so if I wanted to leave there at around 10pm I would have to walk down to the carpark?

11. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone know what the deal is with camping here, the big grassy area just past the toll booth :

12. almontyrat

That's Mirimbah park camping not permitted (unfortunately)

ladycamper likes this.
  13. Tanuki

Sleeping in cars? does someone actively patrol and boot ppl out?

14. almontyrat

Not sure but it's just next to the ticket booth so I wouldn't be at all surprised. Also the Stirling patrollers drive past at the end of their day, they might do a drive through.

Tanuki likes this.
  15. Tanuki

Thought as much, I've always wondered as it mostly empty

16. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Re walking up depends on how much luggage. Get a hiking backpack and use a toboggan and rope for other luggage. Also depends on lodge location, each one is different.

17. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep! As long as you are parked in the top Horse Hill car park it isn't too bad if you have apres boots on (though will be bloody cold and dark at that time of night!), don't try it in ski boots though!

ladycamper likes this.
  18. stridercdh

stridercdh Addicted

It certainly is. I checked it out a few days back. Planning on driving up late Sunday to camp in the car, for an early morning start. Hopefully it'll be fairly quiet there.

19. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Sometimes hiding in plain sight can be the best. No one would suspect it. Why not sleep in your car in the toll booth, no one would be expecting that.

GS and The Plowking like this.
  20. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Carters Rd camp is before the toll booth so a resort entry pass is not needed until you drive past the toll booth.

21. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This is true, even without that bit in jest at the end.

22. Tanuki

Back in the days when I worked on the hill there were dirt bags sleeping in lift shacks and anywhere else they could get away with it. Probably the same now

23. Vermillion

That's not a very nice thing to say about people. Dirt bags have feelings too.

ladycamper likes this.
  24. Tanuki

I say that with high praise, they were the people I rode with every day at Buller and lived with Hot-ham. Best peeps on the hill by far.

25. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Its after the toll booth and is land part of the Buller resort as responsible authority.

Tanuki likes this.
  26. The Plowking

Those moves are fine when you're young and carefree.
    Some of the guys I rode with a lot at Hotham still rock those moves but that's because they are mostly scumbags that think the world owes them.
    I still sleep in the tent or hut at jb due to financial constraints but never impose myself on anyone and happily pay for what I have to.

ladycamper likes this.
  27. Tanuki

As we were at the time, particularly at Buller, once we all graduated to living on the hill at Hot-ham we mostly shacked up in share house in DP. My first ever experience at Hotham was as a 17yr old camping for the weekend at JB in August.

I totes get what you mean re entitled older dudes thinking the mountain owes them something, it's a completely different story for school leavers, particularly those without the financial support of parents etc.

ladycamper and The Plowking like this.
  28. The Plowking

During my apprenticeship final 2 years I used to go up every other weekend and sleep in the Kombi.
    Fuel was ...cheaper... price courtesy of my workplace.....20 litre Jerry can ...five finger discount.
    Ahhh... local government.

ladycamper likes this.
  29. Vermillion

You've changed bro. You used to be one of those guys.

Ajmit321 and ladycamper like this.
  30. The Plowking

Never ever.
    Always had the kombi in the 90's.

31. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

There is a small area opposite, on the right side of the road after you start driving from the toll booth toward the village, where informal camping was, or could still be, allowed. You had to walk across the road to Mirimbah Park to use a toilet though, so I preferred Carters as toilets were close by, could have a fire on, be near the main road enough to walk if not taking a car up the hill but also out of sight of the road.

32. wolly

wolly One of Us

But inside the toll gate you will have to pay

ladycamper likes this.
  33. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Which is why Carters is best option, as its before the gate saving you on entry fees if you arrive a day before going up the hill, and/or stay a night in Carters after riding, before going home.