1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Parks Starved of Funds

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by skifree, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This has been mentioned before. The labor government took away the entry fee and made out it was doing the public a favour but in actual fact it cost more to collect and process than it received. The Prom and Buchan caves makes money in Vic.
    Have they removed the entry fee for Glenbrook? Wombeyan makes more on cave tours but during holiday times the campground is packed. I think it cost $15/adult/night to camp. Tour operators pay NPWS well for permits and there may still be a fee per person they take. Other ways they make money are film crews but that may not be huge. I have no information on it. When I lived in NSW I had an all park pass which for me was good value. Perhaps it does not put much back into revenue and there is also no guarantee that revenue received because of park use goes back to the park.

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

But that is in no way the cold hard cash going to the park, it is the cash going to all about the park who have a business that benefits from the park as a draw card and employer.

3. skifree

The other thing that dicks organisations like parks round is the endless decentralisation then centralisation of staff and management.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Yes - soul destroying!!

skifree likes this.
  5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

If the Vic Gov /PV charged a simple small ($10 a day) entry fee, they might actually be able to maintain the parks properly. They Perhaps could charge more reasonable rates for their cabins as a result?

Resorts could scan no. Plates and charge a tenner/day.
    Imagine all the ways the mtns could use those funds??

Chaeron and Wally like this.
  6. skifree

The Viccos worked out the cost of collection was about the income earned.

And medicos reckoned if more Viccos were encouraged to get out and into their parks they’d be healthier and reduce the load on the health system. The cost saving in health was never passed onto parks.

7. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Don't forget that it was the cost of what people saw as a toll road that greatly reduced green season visits to the Buffalo Plateau, impacting on cafe and restaurant revenue at the Buffalo Chalet, which was pretty marginal as a business.

Tourists in the area could travel to Hotham or Falls Creek to get their mountain fix at no cost, or pay a toll to visit Buffalo. Guess what most of them chose? Ironically they removed the summer toll a couple of years after the Chalet closed forever, because with the loss of the Chalet, there were even less people willing to pay to visit Buffalo.

8. davidg

davidg Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Still an entry fee for Glenbrook. $8 per vehicle

9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

The whole stupid thing was a *** joke.

I dont like paying entree fees, but a flat even fee (5$?) on the resorts and big NPs like Buffalo, Prom, maybe Gwinny would be unlikely to discourage even the meanest, tightest anarchist and help provide badly needed funds for the mtn it was collected on.

They now have no. Plate tech even Dutton and his fedpol would be happy with. It could work this time?? No bored staff in tollbooths!!

10. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

Recently I saw a Facebook post from Daniel Andrews that camping fees in Parks have been cut in half. I've just done a check, at Wilsons Prom an unpowered site at Tidal River is now $31.40 a night, overnight hiking is $7 per night. At Mt Buffalo a site at Lake Catani is now $27.30. The remote campsites at Mt Buffalo are now $7 per night.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and legend like this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

In actual fact this is what these places used to cost to camp at. So we have we simply gone back to what we used to pay to use these places for camping. Tidal River in May is often very quiet but good for surfing and camping :) .

12. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, but Tidal River is one huge and squalid caravan park with the requisite overpriced groceries and hot food at extortionate prices from a single shop. They can get away with that because they're a monopoly with no competition within 30 minutes drive.

A Bogong regime would take one or two of the camping areas at Tidal River and offer them to other operators to compete with the bureaucracy. With PVs monopoly destroyed, I'm fairly confident that standards at those camping areas would improve, prices for camp sites and food would drop and the government would get more money from the tenders than PV operated campsites. Everybody wins :) (except the bureaucrats running the hopeless monopoly set up they have now).

If that doesn't shock PV and the VNPA enough, I might even take one of the smaller eroded campsite areas and build some basic 3 star motel units for those who wish to visit the Prom but who are disabled or who are unable to sleep on the ground but don't own a caravan. They could be hired to able bodied people when not required for the disabled. I am already anticipating howls about "luxury" 3 star accommodation for the "privileged few" from lobbyists who live in fashionable suburbs.

Wally likes this.
  13. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I'd be happy enough to pay annual fee of $250 for national Park usage. This of course should include all parks nationwide and Vic resort entry.....

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

This is not a bad idea but the coffers collected don't usually flow back into the maintenance of the basic infrastructure that is already there. They are often wasted on redonkulous commercially glossy brochures but vacuous schemes such as the Falls to Hotham Alpine Crossing Hiking redevelopment or the Planned redevelopment of The Gorge area at Mt. Buffalo.

Unfortunately here in VIC. the state Govt. only spends 0.5% of the total budget on funding all of our Parks. That includes :the Prom ; Mt. Buffalo; The Alpine N.P.; The Grampians; The Snowy River N.P.; Croajingalong N.P. ; Baw Baw N.P.; The Otway N.P. and many other fine places for the preservation of native flora , fauna as well as low impact recreation for humans.
    Parks VIC. are broke. They have a skeleton staff trying to do the work of an army of workers.

As we know regular access to nature is a plus for people's health. It saves many dollars that are otherwise spent on the treatment of many preventable mental and physical illnesses.

The VNPA are advocating for the spending on parks in VIC. to be increased to 1 % of the state budget per annum .

The way the access per day per car to the Nat. parks in NSW is managed seems fairer to me than the regime that is place here in Vic.. Moreover because the ski resorts in the KNP are included in the NPWS , access to those places is less expensive for motorists than it is here in VIC for many of our Ski locations.

crackson and The Plowking like this.