1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

PB (and Guthega) history and old tows

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Bogong, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I've just come across a gallery of 1960's Guthega photos that I bookmarked a few years ago. They may belong to someone on this forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More of these at: http://www.meischa-ian.net/ Click on the "old Guthega skiing" tab on the top row.

#51 Bogong, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. tjilbee

tjilbee Hard Yards

These are ours. Son has them on his website. Thanks bogong. We have plenty of these on slides, just a pain getting them onto digital.

3. atlantisau

atlantisau First Runs

Don't know if you're still pursuing this thread, just came across it today. I had a pretty detailed involvement with Guthega from 1974 to 1985 and can probably fill in the blanks on a number of subjects over that period if you still need the information.

4. atlantisau

atlantisau First Runs

#54 atlantisau, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Bogong

[​IMG]

Sorry atlantisau, I didn't see your January post. Here is a 1962 map showing a lift west of the village running up the side of Mt Anderson from the edge of the pondage. Is this the "SMA tow"?

I see you have updated the Guthega entry in the WikiSki listing of Australian ski lifts. Thanks. [​IMG]

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Perisher_Blue_ski_tows

P.S. That website of yours is pure gold! Thanks for recording this stuff before it is forgotten.

#55 Bogong, Feb 14, 2008
  6. atlantisau

atlantisau First Runs

Hi Bogong -

I don't recognise the map you've posted but will try to find something that locates the original SMA tow on Tate East Ridge. Basic info is at http://www.christianacapital.com/Text/1201316577093-6700/ - please let me know if you need any more info on the period 1974 to 1986 - after that I was on other parts of the planet.

#56 atlantisau, Feb 16, 2008
  7. kwijybo

kwijybo First Runs

Hi,

Just spent an hour reading Wikiski - very interesting, lots of memories.

I note that on the list of Perisher lifts, you have the Telemark T-bar as "1982 - present - There may have been a Poma on this site". Indeed there was a poma here before 1982 (and on Piper T-bar too, I think). When I rode it back in the 70s it had a big 'kick' after the load point, which knocked six year old me off many times. So that would be c. 1978 and probably earlier.

Love the photo of the Perisher/FV base - in the 1970s the eatery now known as The Pub used to be called "Kurt's", and was filled with long wooden tables and benches. Also the mid-station eatery was called the Halfway House (at least my family always called it that) and consisted of a little wooden kiosk/hut with old wooden cable spools and cut up logs for tables and chairs. They served a scorching hot chocolate and hot dogs, among other things. Aaah the memories.

cheers

8. steeps

steeps One of Us

I can confrim that at BC in 1988 there was no Rollercoaster cut, that came later. Also - who can remember that every lift at BC had turnstiles that you had to scan your ticket to get through for every run. I do...and if you had bought a two lift only beginners package, your ticket would not scan to let you up to the summit - very innovative for the late eighties..

9. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty

On the site of the perisher express quad there used to be a fixed grip triple chair. IIRC it spent its last year non functinal because of gearbox problems.I'll unearth some old books from the early 80's and do some research.

10. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes and I can even remember the 'kilometre' tickets that gave you a number of rides (lifts were rated as either 1km or 2km) spread over as many days as you wished. They were very innovative when BC first opened.

The funniest thing about having to swipe your ticket through the turnstyles was that often after a fast run down the wind would blow your ticket around behind your neck and you'd see people stopped at the bottom trying to work out where their ticket was!

I used to often ski Blue Cow in the early days, then ski home via Perisher Mid Station late in the afternoon - it was downhill all the way so you didn't need a Perisher ticket, however if you were lucky you could scam a quick ride up to the top when the lifties weren't looking and have an even longer ski home!

#60 GlenH, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  11. crama

crama One of Us

Ha i remember the turnstiles at Blue Cow, i remembered them last year when i did a few runs there. I think i first skied there in 88. Still one of my favourites. Go the Cow!!

12. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Think Big!

Develop the whole main range, Bogong.

[​IMG]

#62 VSG, May 4, 2009
  13. VSG

and lets not stop there...
    further west..

[​IMG]

#63 VSG, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  14. Hobber

Hobber A Local

I think you're onto something VSG!

15. GlenH

I thought that's what cross country skis were for! :)

16. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

forgive my ignorance here, but what is Kosciuszko Reservoir shown on the map?

17. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

It's a bit of fantasy work.

#67 Telestrom, May 5, 2009
  18. T7

T7 One of Us

It was a planned resevoir for the Hydro Scheme. But Hydro left it too long and it was not built due to environmental protests (thank god).

19. Bogong

I think it would have been great if they'd built the Kosciusko Reservoir. It would have produced lots of electricity and Charlotte's would have had a nice scenic lake like Falls Creek. [​IMG]

#69 Bogong, May 5, 2009
  20. T7

T7 One of Us

It wouldn't have produced much electricity, the catchment is pretty small there. The lake would have been scenic, but as a working lake it would not have been any good for recreation.

21. T7

T7 One of Us

It wouldn't have produced much electricity, the catchment is pretty small there. The lake would have been scenic, but as a working lake it would not have been any good for recreation.

22. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

*cough* fishing *cough*

23. VSG

Fishing on the lake? Good idea.

24. T7

T7 One of Us

Ooops, forgot about that. But no ice skating or skiing on the lake during winter.

Less stream fishing and you probably would not be allowed to launch a boat on the lake like Island Bend or Guthega.

25. Hometrail

Hometrail First Runs

Talking of ancient tows there used to be a lift on the flats out to North Perisher and does anybody have photos of Johnny Abottsmiths tows.I think they where either in Perisher or at Sponars Chalet ?

26. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

yeah i have a pic somewhere in one of my books.
    I'll try & dig it out with the info

27. Hometrail

Hometrail First Runs

I lived in the hut near Guthega Dam during the 1988 season.No ski bunnies that year we were well behaved ?????

28. Golds70

Golds70 Hard Yards

Thanks for the memories everyone and great wikiski entries,

I also remember the old telemark poma, we would have to ski that every morning to get to front valley, the lifty would pull the chain and the poma would take off at great speed then after crossing the road to sundeck (and being a little kid in the early 70's) I would be lifted off the ground and have to hang on until the skis would touch the ground again near the top, scary but my brother and I loved it. I remember "The pub" being called the Valley Inn, and we also called the mid station, half way house. So many great memories. I'll have to go through dads slides and photos and post some, he tells stories of nut cracker tows at sponers and north perisher somewhere, my parents both met while working down there in the mid 60's, married at Perisher and had to digg their way into the church on their wedding day in May 1968 during a blizzard and we have been going down as a family every year since. Gotta LOVE IT.. [​IMG]

#78 Golds70, Jun 20, 2009
    SnowRabbit likes this.
  29. Bogong

Golds70, re. the Telemark Poma? Do you have a rough idea of when it operated?

I've been trying to list every ski lift to ever run in Australia, but Perisher is it's greatest weakness.

I've got Telemark T-bar down as opening in 1982, so I guess the Poma was before then?

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Perisher_Blue

I'm also trying to work out which chairs are detachable and which are fixed grip.

Any other help with Perisher would be appreciated. The other ski 14 areas in Australia are pretty well refined by now, but the Perisher list is full of gaps and question marks. [​IMG]

#79 Bogong, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  30. SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew One of Us

Did someone check if the Perisher Historical Society has any more helpful information?

31. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher detachables are:

Perisher Quad
    Pleasant Valley
    Village 8

All the rest are slow fixed grip.

#81 Snow Blowey, Jun 20, 2009
  32. veruca

veruca Forever Notable

i overheard a woman telling the story of his fall when i was on the train on saturday. all i can say is OUCH!

he was back at masters on the weekend.

#82 veruca, Jul 8, 2009
  33. shadow1

shadow1 Hard Yards

Bogong I think you have missed the Pretty Valley Triple chair see this 1984 picture that I found. The chair has apparently been sold and moved to Mt Dobson. The Perisher Express detachable Quad is the replacement.
    [​IMG]

#83 shadow1, Jul 9, 2009
  34. Bogong

Thanks SB and Shadow. I've added The PV double to the list and included a link to the picture.

The Perisher-Guthega list is looking complete now, but I'd be grateful if anyone knows what the old lift numbers were before they were renamed after explorers and when Blue Cow's Brumby T-bar and rope tows were built.

35. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Hey Bogong,

my Dad has been going down since the 50's - he started the Perisher Ski Patrol. According to him the T-Bars were always (from right to left, starting with Mitchell) 1, 2 & 3 (the old duplex), 4, 5 & 5a (the other duplex - often called 5&6), 6 and 7 (The old self loader, more recently number 8 - I still refer to it as that and can't remember its "explorer" name).

There was also Johnny Abbotsmith rope tows at Smigs across the road, plus a lift up the Grand Slam at Sponars. And don;t forget the Kunama rope tow up Northcote!

36. GlenH

shadow 1 refers to Pretty Valley triple but that photo looks like Front Valley to me not Pretty Valley.

I think the Brumby T bar was created at Blue Cow by moving one of the former Blue Calf duplex Tbars at the time that Blue Cow purchased Guthega.

37. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

and in reference to earlier posts - I'm 99% sure the Pleasant Valley lift did not exist prior to Blue Cow. I've got a photo with me on it in about Easter of '87 (just sitting on a chair at the top station, no skis), and I remember it being very new then - lots of signs of construction still about.

38. GlenH

There is no question about that. Prior to Blue Cow being built North Perisher was the furthest lift in that direction. Pleasant Valley was built by Blue Cow and opened when it did in 1987.

39. Hometrail

Hometrail First Runs

Here is a tough one for the historians, a rope tow on the west side of Guthega Dam near where the river meets the current high water mark.

40. Bogong

Hometrail, that would be the SMA Tow , built 1957 , burnt down 1965. It was 213m long. Here's a 1963 map.

[​IMG]

#90 Bogong, Jul 10, 2009
  41. Hometrail

Hometrail First Runs

Thanks for that, I came across it doing bad telemak turns in 1984. The skiing up that valley was awesome.We went to the end of the valley and skied and climbed all the way back to high water mark.

42. Bogong

Re: PB (and Guthega) history and old lifts

Thanks guys, I've incorporated your suggestions, I am assuming that the Smiggin "explorer" lifts never had numbers.
    I don't want to get the lifts old numbers wrong, Is this correct?
    No. 1 = Mitchell
    No. 2 = Bass
    No. 3 = Flinders
    No. 4 = Sturt
    No. 5 = Blaxland
    No. 5A=Wentworth
    No. 6 = Lawson
    No. 7 = Leichhardt (Is this the "self loader"?)

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Perisher_Blue
    That page has had 10,000 individual hits, so people must be using it, despite it's roughness! [​IMG]

Buckwheat, the Northcote tow (which I reckon would have been the best ski lift in Australia) is in Section 11 "New South Wales, outside resorts". I've also included a link from the main listing of ski lifts to a discussion in the separate "Non resort tows" article.
    http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Non_resort_rope_tows#Main_Range

#92 Bogong, Jul 11, 2009
  43. tjilbee

tjilbee Hard Yards

Is that the SMA, or, the (YMCA) now Brindabella Ski Club tow that was built by hauling the materials from the dam to the site by raft. Involved members hauling on the bank and others sitting on the raft, poling it away from the side. It was a nutcracker and we (me being aout 12 yrs) would climb to top of Tate from the tow and have 1 run back for the day. There is a large amount of Brindsbella Club history on their web site.

#93 tjilbee, Jul 11, 2009
  44. Hometrail

Hometrail First Runs

What a rich Alpine history we have.
    In the late sixties and early seventies my friends and I used to play on the ski jump at Perisher View we never skied off it but we used to jump off the end into the drifts.Does anyone know what competitions were held on the jump.

45. merlin3

merlin3 Hard Yards

I haven't stayed there for years but The Man From Snowy River hotel use to have some interesting photos around the place from the 60's or 70's that may have some info.

46. Greybeard

Greybeard Addicted

Bogong, the smiggins lifts were just known by numbers when I started skiing there ~1968. From r-l looking uphill - 1 (poma), 2&3,4
    [edit] Umm, actually I missed one I think? 1 (poma), 2, 3&4 (duplex), 5

47. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Bogong - yes, number 7 is the old self loader!

And yep, what a bummer the avvy took out the northcote tow - it would have been awesome!

48. Bogong

It must have only been a couple of years when Perisher lifts were known by numbers.

The last of the numbered ones was built in the early 1970's and by 1976 (at the latest) they had explorer names.
    [​IMG]
    The avi didn't demolish the Northcote Tow out on the Main Range. It only wiped out the nearby Kunama Lodge. The tow owners thought they could learn from this and decided to blow up any future cornices to stop them avalanching.

The irony is that it was only after the Kunama tragedy that they started storing gelignite in the tow hut.
    An electrical fault started a fire and the people sleeping in the tow hut bolted outside, knowing that when the fire got near the gelignite, there would be an almighty bang.

... and that's what happened. The Northcote Tow literally blew up 3 weeks after Kunama Lodge was avalanched! [​IMG]
    Shortly afterwards nearby huts and lodges were repossessed and demolished by Parks and so ended the ski resort in the headwaters of the Snowy River. [​IMG]

#98 Bogong, Jul 16, 2009
  49. elimatta

elimatta First Runs

I have just found this photo of Perisher, taken by my mother in about 1961 or 1962. I can only remember 2 tbars and the Perisher chair in 1962 when I began skiing. Bit of a hike from the top of No. 2 down to the bottom of the Perisher chair. Just as tough coming back, staying as high as possible across the top of Back Perisher, then straight down to keep up enough speed to carry close to the top of the tbars again. Otherwise, a very long walk.
    Sorry about the quality of the image.
    [​IMG]

#99 elimatta, Aug 29, 2009
  50. indyjoe

indyjoe First Runs

HI just wanted to add that this is awesome. I love the history and photos
    Please keep it coming