PB (and Guthega) history and old tows

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Bogong, Aug 20, 2007.

1. girlguide1

girlguide1 First Runs

but it did come to live 2008, I have some more of the area I should put up

[​IMG]

#101 girlguide1, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. skeatesy

skeatesy First Runs

i remember the old ski tows at guthega and the skiis we used would brake your legs if you came off and we didnt ski until lunch time because ice was a problem until it softened up and you would be lucky if you got to guthega because every one went down the road to sponnars hotel and walked up to smiggins holes because of snow over the road and there was no such technique as snow plow learning we just went into parrallel skiing and hoped for the best and i remember the ski jump at perisher valley when the old perisher valley inn was there in the early 1970's and 60's and the north perisher chair lift which dog-legged up the side of north perisher valley and the pommer to get to it ..i even remember mt.franklin near canberra australia had a harley davison motor bike rope tow there when we were teenagers and hitch hiked up there to ski ..i even invented the original snow board by steaming up a single slat of timber and useing leather straps to stand on it side ways like they do now ..nothing new in this world .

3. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

skeatesy - get in touch with Bogong. He will have your baby.

4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture

Skeatesy. The list of every Australian ski lift is here:
    http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory

- The ACT ski lifts (all five of them) are in section 2

- The Perisher / Guthega ski lifts are in section 12.

Perisher is the ski resort I know least about, so while some Perisher regulars have helped me with this list, there may be a few errors or omissions. Let me know if you spot any and I will fix it pronto. [​IMG]

#104 Bogong, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  5. Gra

Gra First Runs

Hey Bogong,

You may remember that back in August 2007, I posted a question on this thread about when the first chair was installed at Pleasant Valley. I had memories of skiing there circa 1979 but everyone seemed to think that the PV chair was only opened with Blue Cow. As, due to injuries & other things, I had never seen Blue Cow until 2007, I was quite perplexed.

Apart from my sanity, my reason for trying to resolve the conundrum was that a keen skier mate of mine said I couldn't have skied PV in 1979 because it didn't exist then. Thus we had a bet.

Not being able to find any evidence to support my memories, I gave up and gave in. However the conundrum continued to bother me from time to time.

This week, I sent an email to Pam Woodman, the Secretary/Treasurer of the Perisher Historical Society, asking her for assistance in resolving my dissonance.

I am pleased to report that Pam's response has allowed me to regain my sanity. Pam contacted the Perisher Blue Lifts Manager, Barry Turrel, who has confirmed that the first chair in PV was a double chair opened in 1979.

As you and others on this thread kindly attempted to help me in 2007, I thought you might be interested in this minor piece of history that has been a major bugbear of mine for nearly 3 years. [​IMG]

BTW, if you or VSG have any of the trail maps from 1979 to 1986 showing the PV double chair, I would be very interested in seeing them. My mate (the other party to the bet) is still not convinced. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Gra

#105 Gra, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. GlenH

GlenH Hard Yards
    Ski Pass: Silver

Are you sure they aren't confusing Pretty Valley with Pleasant Valley ?

I would have been almost certain that prior to the opening of Mt Blue Cow in 1987 the nearest Perisher lift to that side of things was North Perisher. (Certainly that was the case when I started skiing in 1986).

7. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

I first started skiing at Perisher in 1978, and I'm pretty certain they are confusing Pretty Valley with Pleasant Valley.

#107 Telestrom, Apr 15, 2010
  8. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

#108 VSG, Apr 15, 2010
  9. Gra

Gra First Runs

GlenH, Telestrom & VSG,

I don't believe I am not confusing Pretty Valley with Pleasant Valley and I would hope that the Perisher Blue Lifts Manager and the Secretary/Treasurer of the Perisher Historical Society would know the difference between the two.

My memory of skiing the Pleasant Valley chair in 1979 remains vivid because I broke a chip off the ball of my shoulder on the first day. It was our first trip of the year & I had loosened my bindings as a safety precaution until I found my slow legs. The first morning, the 4 of us skied Pleasant Valley and then the other guy & I went over to Mt Perisher. On the way back to meet the girls for lunch I caught an edge, lost a ski & fell down a steepish slope, thus chipping my shoulder. After lunch the others went out again & I stayed in the Perisher Centre. Later, my gf came back because the other couple had called it quits. My gf still wanted to ski so I went out to the front valley with her & skied with one pole. That was fine except I slipped on the hard-packed stuff at the top of a t-bar & with only one pole and being on relatively flat ground, I couldn't get up again without assistance. The top of a t-bar is not a good place to spend time on the ground.

Next day, I suggested we go back to Pleasant Valley as it was quite easy. I skied without poles. Thus I vividly remember a number of charcateristics of that run such as the small rise directly under the chair about halfway down where you have to judge your speed correctly or else you find yourself pushing hard with your poles to get over the rise. And I didn't have any poles! I also remember the narrow chutes at the bottom where the skiers converge just before the lift queue. Without poles, I was very wary of all the gung-ho skiers who hit those chutes at speed.

Because of the broken shoulder, the memroy of that ski trip remains the most vivid of all my trips. I couldn't be confusing the year either because of the shoulder incident and because I had never even seen Blue Cow until 2007. (I gave up skiing in the early 80's due to a foot problem.)

I have copied the email from Pam Woodman of the Perisher Historical Society at the bottom of this post.

VSG, I admit that that old ski map doesn't show Pleasant Valley and I am confident that Perisher management wouldn't leave any lift off a map. My only explanation is that the map pre-dates 1979. I know the wikiski web site says it is a 1980 map but I can't see anything on the map to confirm the year. It's a very ordinary map to say the least and given the placement of the North Perisher T-Bar, it would be difficult to show the Pleasant Valley chair which runs quite a way higher up towards Back Perisher and is to the right of the North Perisher T-Bar.

I wish I could find one of the 'official' trail maps from post 1979 and pre Blue Cow.

Gra

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Graham,

We are delighted we can help you with your conundrum.

According to information we have only just received from Barry Turrel, Lifts Manager for Perisher Blue, the Pleasant Valley Double Chair was opened in 1979.

Both Philip and I are familiar with that lift as it is very slow and in bad weather takes forever to get to the top. All your recollections are quite right about the features of the run.

Perhaps you might be interested in joining the Perisher Historical Society and I have attached a membership form.

We are holding our 3rd Annual Dinner at Snow Gums Restaurant in the Perisher Valley Hotel on Saturday 12th June with Ross Martin our Guest Speaker who represented Australia in the 1968 Winter Olympic Games in Grenoble. It is always a very popular event on the Perisher calendar and is sold out in a couple of weeks. If you do join you will receive an invitation when you advise your contact details. We publish two newsletters a year, June and December.

We are having a display case built in the Perisher Ski Tube station to display some items which we are sure will be of interest.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Pam

Pamela Woodman - Secretary Treasurer
    Perisher Historical Society

PO Box 213 GORDON NSW 2072
    phsadmin@iprimus.com.au 02 9488 7475 0417 88 7475 Skype philip.pam

10. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter

I confuse Pretty - Happy and Pleasant Valleys all the time (but for some reason not Sun / Centre of Front Valleys). Plesant Valley was one of the original 4 lifts at Blue Cow. Before Blue Cow was developed in 1987 there were no lifts in the Blue Cow area. I think Pam Woodman had a brain fart and mixed up Pretty and Pleasant Valley.

11. GlenH

GlenH Hard Yards

But that describes Pretty Valley "to a T" so to speak. It is slow and takes forever, even on a sunny day.

I still think she is confusing her valleys.

I can say categorically there was no chair in Pleasant Valley when I started skiing in 1986 so I doubt they would have taken it away after you skiied there some years earlier?

#111 GlenH, Apr 16, 2010
  12. Bogong

Pleasant Valley at Blue Cow is a detachable grip quad built in 1987
    Pretty Valley . . at Perisher . is a fixed grip . . . double built in 1978

Just to complicate things, there was a Pretty Valley triple built circa 1982 that was sold to Mt Dobson in NZ. (Dates of operation unknown.)

It's easy to confuse the two existing P. Valleys and as there was a third P- Valley chairlift, I think even Perisher regulars would get a bit addled.

But as I said earlier, while I've enjoyed my visits to Perisher, of the dozen Australian ski resorts, it is the one I know least about. Since no one has written a history of the resort or even a club history (as far as I know), this will probably continue to cause confusion in the years to come.

But if anyone has even a rough idea of when the Pretty Valley triple was built or when it was removed, please edit the WikiSki Australian ski lifts page yourself or post the information here and I'll do it. http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Perisher_Blue
    P.S. The Mt Perisher double celebrates it's 50th year of operation this season. [​IMG]

#112 Bogong, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  13. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I'll have to sing it happy birthday .....
    Its not like I won't have time on it.

I love that lift...keeps Mount P pristine and punter free.

#113 Donza, Apr 16, 2010
  14. GlenH

GlenH Hard Yards

The funniest, depending on your view, thing about that lift (Mt P double) is that you have to look over your inside shoulder instead of your outside shoulder as it flies towards you, which can certainly catch the unwary.

15. Donza

Donza Pool Room

That it does...
    the funniest is my mate, who can ride. Did exactly that.
    Got bumped, spun 180 and grabbed the hand rail.
    The problem was the lift didn't stop and he just got whisked up . Like a monkey bar swing.
    The lifties hit the button when he was hanging maybe 4, 5 feet off the ground.
    he casually stomped the 1 foot landing, slid down to the ramp and got on the next stationary chair.

#115 Donza, Apr 16, 2010
  16. Bogong

Re: PB (and Guthega) history and old lifts

The Mt P. double is one of the oldest surviving Mueller chairlifts in the world. I correspond with a Swiss ski lift "train spotter" who has a real thing for Muellers and he has helped me work out the checkered history of that brand in this country.

- The 1958 Crackenback chairlift at Thredbo was originally 100% Mueller, but constant derailments and other problems led to it being substantially rebuilt with Riblet components.

- The ill-fated Thredbo Valley to Charlotte Pass chairlifts were also Muellers, although they may have used some parts from the Italian maker Carlevaro.

[​IMG]

#116 Bogong, Apr 16, 2010
  17. Polaris

Polaris One of Us

There was no lift in Pleasant Valley prior to Blue Cow getting developed. I would guess Barry Turrel must have misunderstood the question that Pam Woodman asked him in the 1st place.
    Otherwise I blame the drugs on offer at the time.

18. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

I can understand why there is confusion. I have a book published in early 1976 that refers to the "Pretty Valley Triple" being under construction for the 1976 season.
    The lift was actually built from Front Valley to the top of Mt Back Perisher - IE what is now the Express Quad.

It was proposed you would ski from the top of the chair either
    A) down thru Sun Valley to Mt P, or
    B) thru Pretty Valley (which had no lift at all) to the Telemark which was a poma at the time - Hence the "Pretty Valley Triple"

No doubt they renamed it when the present double chair was built in Pretty Valley itself.

At the time there was only the MT P Double chair, Eyre T, Sun Valley T, Olympic T & the Front & Centre Valley Ts
    But No Mt P triple chair & no Happy Valley T.
    A "Flat T-bar" led to & from the North Perisher T - you would ride it in both directions

The Mid Station was called Cooma Hut at the time

19. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

According to "Australian Skiing A Complete Handbook" published 1983 -
    The triple from Front Valley to Mt Back P was still called the Pretty Valley Triple.
    The Pretty Valley Double had been installed so there were 2 "pretty valley" chairs

The Mt P Triple, International t & Happy Valley T had also been installed.
    The Flat t leading to/from North P had been removed.

There were no lifts in Pleasant Valey or at Blue Cow.

Guthega had the Carpark chair, Blue Calf duplex Tbars, Cowpastures Poma & The Blue Cow T.

20. VSG

VSG Pool Room

correct

[​IMG]

#120 VSG, Apr 17, 2010
  21. SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew One of Us

Im pretty sure that the historical society rep, just got mixed up when you were talking to them about them existence of the Pleasant Valley Chair that season. Also the Pleasant Valley Quad is the original chair to be installed in that position ie it never replaced a double chair. Pretty Valley Double is also the original lift in its position, so it makes sense that you can recall the Pretty Valley Double rather than Pleasant Valley Double.

22. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

I think VSG has hit the final nail into the coffin of this one.

23. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier

#123 D-eye, May 20, 2010
  24. Perisher_History

Perisher_History First Runs

Pretty Valley and Pleasant Valley - Perisher Historical Society.
    BIG MISTAKE

My apologies to all concerned for the confusion created by an error I made in responding to an email enquiry way back on 4 April 2010. I can't believe I did it but I wrote "Pleasant" when I meant "Pretty" - BIG MISTAKE.
    My apologies to Barry Turel, Lift Manager Perisher Blue, who I quoted as the source.

For the record I confirm what everyone knows to be true:
    Pretty Valley (double chair) - Opened 1979
    Pleasant Valley (quad chair - detachable) - Opened 1987 - Blue Cow

During discussions on the topic string Barry has assisted with the following comments;

"There has never been a Pleasant Valley Double Chair, the only Pleasant Valley chair is the Pleasant Valley detachable quad Chair installed in 1986 for operation in 1987 (Blue Cow area).
    "Prior to the installation of the Pleasant Valley Quad Chair there had never been a lift on that site or in fact any site in Blue Cow (this does not include Guthega).
    "The original Pretty Valley Triple Chair (project name -“Valley Innâ€) in Front / Centre Valley was installed in 1975 – removed in 1985 for the Perisher Express detachable quad chair -1986.
    "Pretty Valley Double Chair installed in 1978 for 1979 is in Pretty Valley – near Nth. Perisher.
    "For the sake of interest for the site I have information re the “Lower Beginners†lift near Guthega dam – I resurrected that lift and ran it for a few year prior to removal.
    "I also note that there was reference to a 1979 chair being the first in Perisher – obviously that is not correct either as Mt. Perisher Double Chair (Mueller, Switzerland) was installed in 1960 for operation in 1961.
    Barry Turel"

The good news is that Barry Turel has offered to work with Perisher Historical Society to build an enhanced definitive list of lift history for the area.
    Once again, my apologies for my part in creating confusion.
    Pam Woodman

#124 Perisher_History, Sep 13, 2010
  25. Bogong

Thanks Perisher Pam. I've been having real trouble getting dates for Perisher lifts. But are you sure about the 1975 date for the Pretty Valley triple? This would make it one of the first triples in the world, 3 years before Dopp built their first one in Europe and 4 years before any other triple in this country.

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Perisher_Blue Could I ask you and your colleagues to have a look at this list of lifts at Perisher and help with dates for the lifts with question marks?

I have lift manufacturers listed for most resorts, so if you're feeling really generous, it would be terrific if you could provide a few of those as well and I will add them. [​IMG] The webpage has 20,000 hits, so someone must be looking at it!

#125 Bogong, Sep 13, 2010
  26. VSG

VSG Pool Room

Hey sunshine. This old fossil has ridden the Triple. In '78. Big news when it became a quad in mid 80s.

#126 VSG, Sep 13, 2010
  27. Acav

Acav Hard Yards

A fixed grip triple where the P express is now, that must of taken forever. On a more sobering note this is the only lift that has been replaced in the perisher valley area besides for the V8 and the north Perisher T replacing a rope tow.

Wait a moment, I forgot to mention the rope tows getting replaced with magic carpets.

#127 Acav, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  28. cin

cin Old n' Crusty

The first time I took my missus on that lift when I told her to look over her shoulder she decided to put her arm over my shoulder.

big mistake

#128 cin, Sep 13, 2010
  29. Bogong

Fair enough VSG. It's just that the first triples in Australia were supposed to be the Mt P triple and Grimus at Buller which were built in 1979, (and at the time I think Buller promoted Grimus as the first).
    But I know your memory is pretty reliable, so I've changed the entry in the WikiSki listing for the Pretty Valley chair to say it was built in 1978 or earlier.

#129 Bogong, Sep 13, 2010
  30. VSG

VSG Pool Room

Thanks Bogong.

This 1980 map would have helped you, too. From wikiski.

[​IMG]

#130 VSG, Sep 14, 2010
  31. Dylan

Dylan Hard Yards

At what point does a change in a chair lift constitute it being called a 'removal'?
    I'm not historical expert, not even close, though I have heard that the towers on the quad are the same as the ones constructed for the triple it replaced. Obviously the chairs are different, and I'm pretty sure the rope was also replaced to handle the new load (not that it is a huge net increase (more weight per chair, but larger chair spacings).

I guess my point is that perhaps it could be defined better, perhaps as an 'upgrade'.
    Feel free to correct me, I'm just offering an uninformed opinion.

#131 Dylan, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  32. Perisher_History

Hi Bogong,
    Trying to contact you at dma_sisson@hotmail.com (this bounced) and also via your Bogong User Page on wikiski.com but my mail attempt got the message that “This user is over their private limitâ€

Anyway, further to your post, I and Perisher Historical Society (PHS) would be delighted to assist in filling in detail for your list of lifts. We have a pretty good list and lots of material including minute books of Ski Council of NSW (dating back to 1932), Perisher Ski Association, NSW Ski Association, plus our mailing list and membership grows, so plenty of opportunity to validate stuff.

Am I correct in assuming that you might play a role in Ski.com.au and Wikiski.com?
    If so, or even regardless, I am hoping that there is an opportunity to achieve some mutuality in our objectives, perhaps you have other areas where you are working with others.

The long promised PHS website is languishing really because of me - I have been significantly distracted by other events but this is now past & it is just a matter of doing it. A comprehensive listing of lifts is a natural component of the site.

PHS as a society is moving ahead at a comfortable but accelerating pace; launched three years ago, momentum is building and we are very keen to be inclusive as an organisation and to have a high local involvement.

It would be great to work with you on this and other aspects; I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Philip Woodman - President PHS

#132 Perisher_History, Sep 15, 2010
  33. Bogong

Hi P.H.
    Nope, I have nothing to do with running these websites. I just write a few ski history articles and got frustrated at the inaccurate and incomplete lift details in printed histories. The wiki format is ideal for thrashing out details of stuff like this, so I started that list of lifts three years ago with the lifts I knew about. Over the next 18 months I did more reading and tracked down a few more. Additionally, people alerted me to other lifts and the list grew to about it's current size of about 350. In the past year and a half I've just added more details like lift manufacturers and a list of 50 odd non-snow chairlifts.

I'd love to help you as much as I can with your terrific website project. But I should say that while I know a great deal about Victorian ski history (I'm very slowly writing a history of skiing in that state), I'm not as strong on ski history in NSW and Tassie. While I've written a few ski history articles in WikiSki on those states, I couldn't really call myself an expert on ski history beyond Victoria.

Great news about the PHS website, so much about Perisher in the 1950's is vague or hearsay or contains conflicting info, so it will be good to have someone who knows their stuff sort it all out. [​IMG]

Sorry, I haven't used that email address for many years. I didn't realise there were any references to it left, Please try sisson dot dave at yahoo dot com dot au instead. I will clean out my in box on this forum.

#133 Bogong, Sep 15, 2010
  34. VSG

VSG Pool Room

#134 VSG, Sep 15, 2010
  35. VSG

VSG Pool Room

#135 VSG, Sep 17, 2010
  36. rodw

rodw Hard Yards

Were as that VSG?

37. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Oo-er !

Fantastic photograph.

The now extinct Charlotte Pass to Thredbo Valley chairlift.

I'm thinking either Wright or Trapyard Creek at the base of the valley.

It appears as no cable and chairs are present. Possibly the pic was taken during construction ?

38. VSG

VSG Pool Room

That would be a view of Wrights Creek, up behind Charlotte Pass going towards the Thredbo River valley.

That is a tower and mid way station of the famous Charlottes to Thredbo valley Chairlift of the 1960s. [​IMG]

#138 VSG, Sep 17, 2010
  39. VSG

VSG Pool Room

1975. Source of the photo. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/37319043

[​IMG]

#139 VSG, Sep 17, 2010
  40. VSG

VSG Pool Room

Nothing like driving to the summit of Kosci... early 1960s.

[​IMG]

#140 VSG, Sep 17, 2010
  41. VSG

VSG Pool Room

Bogong... more. 1963.

[​IMG]

#141 VSG, Sep 17, 2010
  42. wangster

wangster A Local

Look at all the smog those cars left behind in our precious alpine environment!

43. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Jesus..a road to Kosi?

#143 Donza, Sep 17, 2010
  44. Bogong

I once talked to an old timer who drove a bus from Jindy to Kosciusko. On one occasion the bus was full of school girls and they decided that if they walked up and down the isle of the bus, they could truthfully say that they had walked up Kosci. They started doing just that and the driver couldn't get them to sit down until he arrived at the top. [​IMG]

#144 Bogong, Sep 17, 2010
  45. VSG

VSG Pool Room

I've ridden a pushbike to Rawson's Pass several times in the late 70s. Legitimately. I vaguely recall people getting permission to drive that far as well, summer and autumn, in any old vehicle.

Then it all finished, where now the road terminates at Charlotte Pass. The road to Smiggins, Perisher, and CP is called the Kosci Road for a reason. [​IMG]

Google maps.
    Rawson Pass, within 2km of Kosci summit: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ll=-36.45...m.panoramio.all

The wider view: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sourc...7,0.308647&z=12

#145 VSG, Sep 17, 2010
  46. Perisher_History

Hi VSG,
    Congratulations on posting some really great photographs plus lots of very interesting history and anecdotes.
    It is patently high time that the Perisher Historical Society started picking up on all these gems and contributing too. I can see that the forum attracts a lot of very knowledgeable people who enjoy the area as least as much as I do.
    It would seem that the stuff up caused by mis-naming a lift has had the benefit of getting me monitioring this forum !

47. Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Hard Yards

I worked with Mike Netherlands on levelling the area behind the old valley inn (for access to the new triple chair on foot to save the congestion on front valley) in Jan 1976 and the triple was built but i think the first year of operation was the winter of 1976

#147 Tree Breaker Bob, Dec 16, 2010
  48. VSG

VSG Pool Room

My fave shortcut. That rise up and around the deck area of the old VI was a bit of a chore. [​IMG]

Thanks Bob. Belatedly. [​IMG]

#148 VSG, Dec 16, 2010
  49. VSG

VSG Pool Room

found some old stuff... mid 60s. Thredbo and Perisher...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#149 VSG, Dec 16, 2010
  50. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

EPIC

Great work VSG