1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

PB's lift breakdowns

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by cap, Jul 28, 2007.

1. cap

cap First Runs

Anyone else sick of paying big money for lift tickets only to find quite a few NOT operating on any given day. The PB website boasts "50 lifts operating" but at least ten lifts are closed. And don't get me started on the "light winds" in the radio reports each morning...Our car was rocked in the carpark by these "breezes"

2. Curto

Curto One of Us

Where does it boast that about the lifts? On their lift report it has this exact heading: Lifts expected to open tomorrow.

And I can tell you for a fact that at this very second that there are 47 lifts open, 2 closed, and 1 on hold (Olympic).

#2 Curto, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  3. Racey

Racey First Runs

Out of curiosity, which ones are closed? And is it maintenance issues or other problems? ie "opening on demand"

4. Curto

Curto One of Us

The 2 closed were ski school rope tows at Blue Cow and Perisher which are both "on demand" lifts.

5. cap

cap First Runs

I'm not talking about "today". I've been here for 3 weeks now and lifts are regularly not operating. A number of other 'regulars' are talking about better deals at Thredbo. Not for me, but I'd like to see PB get its act together a little more.

6. iShred

iShred First Runs

yer what curto said they do say the word "EXPECTED" but today there should be 50 lifts open because it looks like its gonna be a fine day and theres not much wind.

7. Perisher Rep

Perisher Rep First Runs

Its all about understanding how resorts should operate in a responsible and sustainable way. Whilst we may not get it right evey day, we do try.

This response from the perisher Blue CEO in his PB Blog sums it up well.

Perisher Blue has a number of areas of the resort that are serviced by duplicate lifts. Examples of these are Burke and Wills in Smiggins, Blaxland and Wentworth in Centre Valley, Sturt and the V8 in Front Valley and the Double and Triple Chairlifts on Mt Perisher. Visitation to the resort greatly varies during the week and generally peaks on weekends. From time to time if one of these duplicate lifts can service demand without creating lift queues we may close the other. The same skiing terrain is still accessible.

Lifts use a reasonable amount of electricity. I am conscious that running duplicate lifts when there is insufficient demand for the lift wastes electricity and generates unecessary GHG’s that contribute to climate change and threaten future of snowsports.

From my experience, many major resorts in the world that operate duplicate lifts and have large variations in midweek to weekend visitation adopt this practice.

I hope this answers your question.

#7 Perisher Rep, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  8. iShred

iShred First Runs

Yer i'm agreeing with you!

9. Podlet

Podlet Part of the Furniture

Nicely said Peter!

10. dyl2464

dyl2464 First Runs

in reality can you really say that the operation of an extra lift between 9.00 and 4.00pm will seriously "contribute to climate change and threaten future of snowsports"
    why run a bus service unless the bus is full
    you may fool yourself but not us.
    with global warming the amount of climate change contributed by lifts woud be that that small you could not measure it.
    typical PB excuse.
    how about just give PB your money and they don't run any lifts think of the benfit for the environment.
    provide the service we paid for or refund our money.

11. ginger

ginger First Runs

Thats the stupidist argument I have ever heard dyl2464. So unless you do something that will significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions you shouldn't bother?

But a bigger issue that wasnt said was money. Electricity costs money, and so does staff to run the lift and maintenence people to service it. If its a quiet day why should they run both blaxland and wentworth? or Mt p double and triple? I pay enough for lift tickets in Australia, I don't want to pay much more.

12. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

#12 Ian D, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013