1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Penny pinching in Buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by nezumi, Jul 5, 2019.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I am booked in for 3 nights at the Alpine Retreat at the end of August, with 2 friends joining me. One is a regular snowboarder, while the other has not been to the snow before.

The latter is on rather a tight budget - the accommodation deal I got with Alpine Retreat makes the trip an option, but she still needs to watch her spending. She will be having a crack at this skiing lark with a Discover pass, but she's only anticipating spending one day actually on the slopes, and the rest of the time just enjoying the snow generally.

Our room is one of the motel style rooms, where we *might* get a microwave if we are lucky, but otherwise there are no cooking facilities. Are there any decent options (or recommendations from the more savvy among you) for lunch or dinner in Buller? I know that some resorts have not-well-advertised facilities for those who self-cater (obviously the incentive is to get punters buying from the food outlets on the hill), does Buller have anything like this?

If we are driving ourselves up the hill and parked for overnight, is it possible to go down to Mansfield for dinner, or is it pretty much an "enter once, leave once, no passouts" type of situation?

I've had a general look at the Buller website and done some other investigating, so I have discovered the sculpture walk and gnome roam. Aside from this, tobogganing, and generally relaxing at the lodge, are there any other recommended low-cost or free options for the non-skier?

2. willsnow

willsnow Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

She can visit the Alpine Museum or do some trampoline jumping at Buller Air Zone - to be honest, I've never been to both so can't comment on those facilities.

Can't suggest where to eat in the village for lunch/dinner as I usually have lunch at Koflers and rarely go down to village (esp. on weekends). You can always bring some groceries to your accommodation or buy some at Buller Grocer and make simple meals.

I think you can drive down to Mansfield for dinner, but is it false economy because you'll be spending time and money to drive to Mansfield in the first place?

nezumi and qwill like this.
  3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

lunch
    cheese and salami keeps pretty well without refrigeration. add some crackers, cuppa soup (assuming you have an electric kettle) and some apples or other fruit that carries well.
    as a student skiing buller long ago, I think my lunches were mostly scroggin

5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

:D

We do have a mini-fridge, so that's an option. I am pretty sure that we will have a kettle etc too (they mention tea and coffee)

Carpark cooking might not be such an option if we're staying up on the hill, and I don't know if we could use a camping cookset in the room, or in the village.

6. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

No benefit driving to Mansfield. You then have taxi fares to get back to your accom so couldn’t see the point. And also plenty of good food closer to Buller at Sawmill and Merrijig if you were going to drive down the mountain.

nezumi likes this.