Question People who camp at Island Bend and other unpowered camp sites, how do you charge your devices?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Niepan, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Niepan

Niepan Hard Yards

This question is more targeted towards people who stay at NP camps or other unpowered parks for an extended amount of time to save money. How do you get your devices charges? I'm thinking of getting a solar charger but if there's any tricks to get around paying for one I'm all for it.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

3. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I worked with a bloke once that kept a solar mat of some sort on the dash of his car and used it to charge his phone.
    Never actually saw it .

4. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

I just take 1 device, ie a phone, which I charge in the car driving up/down the hill. I also have a power brick as backup, but I've never had the need to use it. I can also recharge the phone at the resort, but again I've never had the need.

coolair likes this.
  5. Astro666

Astro666 One of Us

USB cigarette lighter socket charger. $1.00 on Ebay.

ladycamper, nfip, POW_hungry and 2 others like this.
  6. Belly

Belly A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yep this, put it on power saver mode, enjoy nature :)
    Ps I got portable solar charging device as a gift a while back, didn't have enough kick to charge my smartphone ;)

nfip and POW_hungry like this.
  7. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

In the olden days we didn't have no steenkin' devices.

coolair, Ralph_Plow, NewTurns and 2 others like this.
  9. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

12volt USB charger adapter in the vehicle. If you get serious about your camping setup, add a 12volt USB charger to your electrical system, powered by a deep cycle battery. I now have 3 as they are useful for fans and numerous other devices nowadays. Pretty easy, much the same as a 12v cig lighter adapter and readily available from most camping, auto or RV stores. First step is to get an adapter as described by Astro, plug into cig lighter and charge whilst going up the hill and then again going down the hill.

POW_hungry likes this.
  10. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

11. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

This things look pretty cool

12. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I got that from the original Kickstarter program that launched it. Works like a Beta

W0nkey D0nkey and telecrag like this.
  13. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

14. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

This.

I've got a "battery in a box" fitted with anderson plug and a low voltage isolator. Anderson plug off positive terminal of vehicle battery. Basically like a dual battery but you can unplug it, switch between vehicles, take it where you need to use it. You can also throw any battery inside that you like. A good way to ensure you never flatten your vehicle battery - but really only needed if you are running heavy stuff. For phone or a tablet i'd just plug in whilst the vehicle is running. From island bend you are looking at about 60minutes of vehicle run time per day. Worst case, run the vehicle for a bit extra at camp. A couple of extra litres of fuel lots cheaper than buying and maintaining additional battery.

ladycamper and FatBoyDave like this.
  15. Belly

Belly A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah I run a Chinese battery box for the camper trailer, I wanted something portable. My uses are led lighting, device charging and emergency car flat battery.

All depends on supply and demand I suppose, a battery box is pretty excessive to charge a device but it depends on how much you want to use your device.

coolair likes this.
  16. Lord Back Country

Lord Back Country Hard Yards

Hiking apps and music tend to suck my apple and android phones dry pretty quick.

So I bought an Anker solar recharger cheap off ebay:

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerPort-Solar-2-Ports/A2421011

Overall it's been great. It was not very good, however, during a 4 day snow/blizzard hike-a-thon.

A dude showed how he tortured his on youtube so it's tough too...

cheers

Untele-whippet likes this.
  17. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Maybe not quite what you were after, but Milwaukee power tools do a range of accessories that utilize their 12v and 18v cordless drill range , they also have a usb attachment that fits onto their 12v/18v batteries and allows you to recharge phones and other devices, also lights and heated jackets.
    Obviously at some stage they need to be recharged , but I imagine they would do multiple recharges and the batteries recharge pretty quickly when connected to a mains power source, they may even have an attachment to charge from a 12v car charger.

Belly likes this.
  18. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

A slightly cheaper version than Milwaukee , would be the Ryobi +one range of accessories for their 18v cordless drills/angle grinders and rattle guns etc
    Some of their kits come with 2 x batteries,a charger and a drill for about $199
    Two of their products ,a am/fm radio with Bluetooth comes with a audio jack and a usb port for charging other devices, the other product is a lantern light with 2 setting and a usb port , also for charging other devices, they claim to be able to get about 8-10 hours use from both products with the 1.5ah battery,and well over double that on the 5 ah battery and a 30 min recharge time on the 1.5 ah battery , they also do a 12 v battery charger for the car .
    If you are skiing from Perisher, they have power points around the seated areas that the cleaners use, and in the time it takes to have a coffee at the end of the day you could almost fully recharge the smaller battery.
    One thing to bear in mind ,is that the really cold weather plays havoc with batteries , and that also includes car batteries.
    They can test batteries when the car is going for a service , and probably a good time to replace it if its getting to the end of its life, before venturing up .

Snow Blowey likes this.
  19. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Or an inverter in your vehicle and charge in the car.

20. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

Or just have a big car battery and you can charge a phone overnight no worries. Well, I can anyway.

coolair and Belly like this.
  21. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow One of Us

Sounds like your devices are in charge of you!

ladycamper likes this.
  22. coolair

coolair Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

Many years ago as Legs A. said there was no problem, spare dolphin torch battery had it covered.
    for the last 10 years I have pulled a spare battery from my boat and run camp lights, and 150w
    inverter for charging stuff, after a week it still had plenty of power, also handy if car wont start.
    Now I have my small avan, it has its own battery,inverter for 240 ,12v and USB no problems.
    Should it rely hit the fan I could take the geni, but haven't.
    Tip, always start your car before the last other car leaves the camp ground

Jacko4650 likes this.