1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Performance ski hire?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Phil_, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Phil_

Phil_ Hard Yards

Hi all,

We will be staying at Falls Creek for a week in August ( can't wait!). Some of the guys coming down with us have said they want to hire some performance skis during their stay.

Ive been fortunate to have skis handed down to me, so I've never hired gear before, so I wouldn't know what they're talking about.

Can anybody tell me the difference between "performance" and the normal skis that are available for hire?

Any places you guys can recommend?

2. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Features like early rise of tip in better skis provide faster turning response, for an individual who can already ski, but for a rookie who doesn't bend the knees and can't control skis provides a steeper learning curve. Performance skis may be newer and cheap hire skis may be used a lot more so sharper metal edges on performance skis as they're not so worn out will afford increased control accuracy. I must say, as a very determined rookie over 5 years ago, my skiing fell into place on a demo day where I demoed a pair of premium performance skis......designed like I said for faster response and for a skier Who wants to ski fast. Being ski socks that are thin, for a more reliable boot fit. I used to hire mostly at Halleys.

Phil_ likes this.
  3. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Performance ski will cost more to hire. Should be a new model (with little use so the ski runs as it should). Should be a better ski with more technology such as titanium, carbon etc. faster, more energy, more responsive etc.,

ladycamper and Phil_ like this.
  4. Phil_

Phil_ Hard Yards

Thanks ladycamper!

Who knows, I might even ditch my skis and go for rentals this time round?

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

6. *Xena*

*Xena* Hard Yards

So expensive to hire skis compared to OS. Shocked.

ladycamper likes this.
  7. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Seasons are much shorter here, and skis get trashed a lot faster due to marginal conditions. (ie: skiing over dirt, rocks etc)
    And then you get the deadheads who hire skis when conditions are bad, so that they don't trash their own skis and think that it's OK to trash rental skis.

ladycamper likes this.
  8. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Young fella has hired demo / performance skis from central snow sports a coupla times. A few weeks ago got a brand new pair and with the discount from his lodgings the price was very reasonable. Never had the need to use them myself, but he reckons they are pretty good value.

ladycamper likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I generally hire demo's from Koki. Mostly have Rossignol skis. Currently skiing E88's which aren't bad. Missed out on the Soul 7's as they were out last time I was here and since been sold.

I have previously skied the Temptations and several others.

Another option is to be around on ski semo days at your preferred resort - almost free ski hire, just sell your soul.

ladycamper likes this.