1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher 2014 chatter thread

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Marty_McSly, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

Must be about time again... the photos my daughter is sending me of the snow in Warsaw are starting to stir the SDS.

My son's scout group has locked in their snow trip for this year already, first weekend of August. We look like taking a week's extension on that and staying 7 nights somewhere, Sunday to Saturday.

Financial constraints this year mean we'll be looking at off-snow accommodation, although we'd do self-catering on-snow for the right price. We've both goth Freedom passes with the Skitube option so we're thinking somewhere handy to skitube.

Bimblegumbie looks to be about right, at approx $1700 for the week, but I'm happy to look at any alternatives people may suggest. If you don't want to give any secrets away publicly, PM me.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

3. Marty_McSly

I got a few possibilities from Google Maps. Altitude 1260, Crackenback Farm are similarly priced, Andrea's White House a bit more expensive but also unavailable for the last 2 nights.

Just not sure if my 14yo son will be bored at any of these. Still if he brings his laptop & tablet he should be able to amuse himself of an evening. Any place with a pool table will be a winner too.

4. Legs Akimbo

Unless you are lucky with fellow guests you will not get much stimulation for a teen in the Thredbo Valley. It is very spread out with no centre. I have had a couple of great nights at Bimblegumbie, but that was convivial fellow guests.

5. Marty_McSly

He had a pretty good time at the Eiger last year. The sauna and spa were novelties, they had a PS2 or similar with a selection of games and we borrowed a couple of DVD's from their collection. Those, plus a few goes at the pool table kept him entertained. I think Bimblegumbie has a games room with pool table. Browsing the web is frustrating ATM, my monthly quota is used up and I've been throttled back to 64Kb:puke: so it's a pain to check details like that. I'll have to give Pru a call instead. I believe she no longer does dinners, so we would need to self-cater or go into Jindy to eat out / take away?

He can't get enough pool so if they have a table and it's not in a bar area, he'll be set. FWIW I can use some practice too.

The first option I considered was the Station. I stayed there a couple of years ago and wasn't put off. But my son's a little young for the sort of stimulation the Station provides.:D

6. Legs Akimbo

From their site:

Bimblegumbie Highlights…

• Collections, collections - glass, teapots, artworks, eclectic collectables
    • Delicious teas and cappuccino's - "on the house"
    • Ample car parking (some undercover)
    • Books in every room together with an extensive library in the Guest house
    • Library of DVD's available
    • Mountain and Valley natural bush walks
    • Drying room
    • Relaxing atmosphere
    • Warm hospitality
    • Exotic carpets on polished floors and the odd corner to hide
    • Interesting collectables, antiques, works of art and sculptures blending harmoniously in a modern eclectic colourful style
    • The radiant warmth of wood fireplaces, the smell of gum and mountain bark
    • Peace, tranquility and harmony
    • Always something to discover
    • Abundant bird life
    • A game of pool with friends or reading a good book chosen from book laden shelves
    • An artists delight
    The couple of times I have been there it has seemed to be adult oriented rather than child.

7. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Didn't buy the Freedom Pass at the end of last year, just as well as we're having two weeks in NZ after the July school hols so wouldn't reach break even. However I'm hoping for a few day trips to PB in August and September.

8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

For above...check stayz...crackenback village. Close as too tube

9. Marty_McSly

Now thinking Kickenback studio at Crackenback. Equivalent pricing, self-catering is an option, close enough to restaurants and Jindy that we can eat out when we want to, can use facilities at the main Crackenback resort, wi-fi and mobile reception are good, and a "5 minute walk" to the tube.

10. Hacski

Hacski Guest

On Facebook MissH noticed one of the other people in her course at uni (she's going into 2nd year, he's just starting) who just joined the course Facbook group listed himself as a part-time instructor at PB. So she might be looking to come home once or twice during the winter to do the odd day trip. Mum and Dad will have to make themselves scarce if that eventuates :)

11. Marty_McSly

Have been doing some more shopping around and had a few surprises in the process. Inspired by last night's rerun of "Swift & Shift", I checked out the Sundeck's pricing, which I'd previously thought was gold-plated, only to find that their 2014 rates are pretty much line-ball (for a Courtyard room) with the Eiger's 2013 rates. Unfortunately still more than I wanted to pay this year, and my impression of the Sundeck is that it would be a great place to spend a week with my son once he turns 18 and can live it up in the bar with me. Another 4 years yet. Until then I have to be the responsible dad.

So I looked around some of the other on-snow options, and found that Peer Gynt neatly splits the difference between Thredbo Valley B&B's and Perisher Village hotels like Sundeck & Eiger.

I'd almost stayed at Peer Gynt 2 years ago when skiing solo for 10 days, their single rate was line-ball with Eiger's but I wasn't really confident about skiing in & out of North Perisher. No such issues this year for either of us.

So I had a chat with Jenny today, just checking out what facilities they had to keep a 14yo amused of an evening... games room with pool table, board games in the lounge (which he enjoys), DVD and book libraries and good internet access... all sounds good.

The icing on the cake was that Jenny recalled that she has a group of guests from the NSW North Coast in at the same time as us, who have children around the same age as my son. Just another of the benefits of a family-run, family-focused, small lodge.

So we are locked in for the week with deposit paid. Can't wait!

Nowada and kathfern like this.
  12. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

I think Peer Gynt is a gem. You will have a great time.
    We are serial guests of Jenny and Bart. They will look after you and always seem to attract a good selection of clients which makes for interesting evenings around the bar and fire. It is also IMO the best location for intermediates and beyond to access the more challenging terrain without having to go near front valley. For those not so adventurous they do run the oversnow to front valley every morning in time for lessons and back again in the afternoon.
    It is not for the party animals as it is somewhat remote.

13. Marty_McSly

It sounds spot-on. I mean, I can do party animal when the occasion calls for it, but I'm not in the habit of being hung over when there's snow on the ground.

We'll probably do lessons 5 of the 7. Whether we ski into FV for them or take the oversnow run will largely depend on quality & quantity of cover, and whether the improvements in my technique that seemed to magically appear on the afternoon of my last day last year had enough time to lock in. It's good to have options.

14. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Peer Gynt is a 10 second slide to the Interceptor. Can ski from top of Interceptor to the bottom of Pretty Valley chair, and continue on to the bottom of Telemark to get to Front Valley. Alternatively, straight ahead from Interceptor and over into Blue Cow.

15. Marty_McSly

Yep, I've done both of those off Interceptor before, although IIRC it was right from Interceptor, down the link into the bottom of Pleasant Valley and continue on to Brumby t-bar. Wins pants-down as a route to Blue Cow compared to taking the Quad to the top and skating (*trying to) uphill. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret...o_O

16. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Turning right off Interceptor takes a little bit more pushing before you start going down into Blue Cow (unless the wind is favourable). Straight ahead is less pushing, but a more gentle ride into Blue Cow.

17. Marty_McSly

Thanks for that 68. My son will probably do Perisher Teens again, so he'll go to FV. I'll see how the cover is before deciding on FV or Blue Cow. The links were closed the first week of August last year. We'll be a week later this year and fingers crossed for a better season.

18. Marty_McSly

That should have read links closed the last week of July last year, not first week of August.

19. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

Sometimes interceptor is not running early enough to get to lessons at Perisher, and can be on wind hold. Bart will drop you off at telemark t bar on the way to front valley. Getting the t bar up and sliding down to the lesson is a lot easier than walking over the bridge and up through the crowds at Perisher centre
    When skiing back to the lodge take care down north Perisher as it does tend to thaw/freeze.... not a lot of fun and testing on the legs at the end of the day on frozen ungroomed chopped. If it stays soft its the best ski in location at Perisher IMO. The wife tried a few times but after a fall preferred to skate from interceptor.

20. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Marty, you've given me an idea i.e. to ask the boss to extend my leave after the school hols by another week, so as to be back on Aug 11th instead of the 4th!

21. Marty_McSly

It'd be great to meet up at last, Hac.

And thanks for those tips Nowada. I don't know if I'll be up to North P, off the top of my head I think it's black, but sliding into FV via Telemark of a morning is a winner.

22. Hacski

Hacski Guest

The boss OK'd the leave. All we need now is for the snow to arrive when Marty does rather than when he leaves. Or both.

Marty_McSly likes this.
  23. Marty_McSly

I'll second that!

24. Hacski

Hacski Guest

MissHG is packing the car to head back to campus res but hopes to have a few Fridays free during the winter: Come home Thursday evening then a day trip on Friday and back to res for study on Saturday. I hope I end up wishing I'd renewed the Freedom Pass.

25. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

Hi Marty
    I have moved to south coast, semi retired and will have at least all Fridays free. So you may see me around while you are there. I'll be the one falling over a lot at North P. Mount P, Guthega and B.C.

26. Marty_McSly

We may well run into each other on the slopes then.

27. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

No northern hemisphere trip this year so I'm REALLY looking forward to my 2 annual pilgrimages this year. Will be there in the last week of NSW July school holidays and second week in August.

Staying at the station again, sure the accommodation is a bit basic, but at least it's not clean. Ahh money the great leveller.

Thinking this may be the last Perisher year for a while, been every year since 2007, but I've never skied Victoria and haven't skied Thredbo since the 90s, so while I have the Freedom pass this year, I don't think I'll renew.

Am hoping for enough cover to make parking at Smiggs viable, I love skiing to my car. Also keen to see if the new chair makes Guthega better or too packed, either way it should be better at 11am when the Tbar was always chockers.

Bring on the snow!

28. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Hopefully not like this Marty

The way to go, or should I say to leave. Both actually.

29. Dos

Dos One of Us

What's the normal situation of the traverse bits between Perisher Quad middle station and top of Pretty Valley Chair and at Blue Cow Expressway in good years? I found them very annoying last winter.

30. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

With decent cover they're fine, but they suffer easily in not so good cover. Mid season, /normally/ they're ok.

31. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    Go to the top of the quad and drop down off the trail for some turns ...go hard anywhere regardless. You'll feel better for it. Forget those mamby I'm comfy turns...skiing is not about that. Done north P in perisher powder riding GS racing skis....piece of cake, not black.

32. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Dos, when there is decent snow you can follow under the left hand side of the quad chair heading back down (presumably you are going from the top of Pretty Valley heading back towards Front/Centre Valley) and only have a little bit of uphill to contend with. As the snow gets deeper this uphill diminishes and it is rather easy. Your other option is to get up speed as soon as you leave Pretty Valley chair and go through the trees and past the top of Happy Valley T-bar, then round past mid station.
    As the snow starts to disappear the left hand option goes with it, and you are only left with going past mid station.

33. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

Locked in 6 days/5 nights for the Family at Peer Gynt for the 24th to 29th August. We shall be going at other times but only when conditions are good or convenient.

34. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Pretty Valley was low tide last season. Normal season its fine and great riding

35. Hammer

Hammer Hard Yards

Due to holiday availability we are locked in for the June/July school holidays for 14 days. Fingers crossed for good early snow!

36. Marty_McSly

Been there the last 2 years, had a great time both times. In 2012 the snow was good enough that people were shooting the creek instead of taking the wooden bridge to get across to the quad.

What's your crew? All adults / family with teens/pre-teens/toddlers?

37. Marty_McSly

Looks like you're on a winner there!

38. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Never stayed @ the Eiger but a great place for drinks

39. SnowBound

SnowBound One of Us

thank you! going with the missus and 2 mates (ages 21-23)

40. Marty_McSly

Perfect. The bars are very sociable, they have a pool table and games console (but only a PS/2 or equivalent Nintendo... if you plan on using it, phone ahead to confirm which and bring your own memory card). Bring cozzies for the sauna and spa.

If any quiet time is needed, the lounge is well away from the bar and a great place to sit & relax or read, whatever.

I'd be there same time, only I've decided to go with another of Nowada's recommendations and stay at Peer Gynt in North Perisher this year. It was a toss of a coin between there and the Eiger for me in 2012.

41. SnowBound

SnowBound One of Us

Awesome sounds great! My partner is from West Yorkshire and she's never really had a true on snow ski experience so we're all super excited. I was at perisher last year with mates in late august but stayed in jindy. Let's see if we can hit the 1.5m mark by then!

42. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

From my brother. Perisher this morning. So jealous.

[​IMG]

Angus_McCrory likes this.
  43. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah today is special

44. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I am hoping the cloud gets up shortly - otherwise i'll be a day late.

45. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Conundrums....

46. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Gynt would be a bit cheaper being further out , however when you have good mgt it can be the difference between a good stay & an average one.
    We've stayed at the Manor, The Man from snowy river & the Matterhorn
    The Matterhorn being the cheapest, it attracts families with young kids because they have a huge games area , also they serve you @ breakfast in controlled portions , very budget focussed...
    The Manor.... you couldn't fault it , prime position, great food , secure ski lockers & owner walks around with free schnapps @ dinner every night but you pay $$$ ( we stayed in spring when discounted -without kids )
    But our favourite is The Man from snowy river, kind of an in between , good food, plenty of open fires, good pub to chill with acoustic artists, good drying room , secure ski locking etc....

47. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Because I am going back to JP for a month, I had decided not to ski here this season, but I think I have to change my mind - i just don't think I can hold out that long
    wow- what a start

48. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

First world problem.

49. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Like lining up ducks to go skiing

50. Marty_McSly

Yep. A full $1000 less for 2 of us for the week.

And it sounds like Nth P will be awesome this year...