Question Perisher 2017 Snow Season Working at Blue Cow

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Portz8101, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Portz8101

Portz8101 Just Registered

Hey all, my names Tyler I currently reside in south and coming over for my first season at Perisher working at blue cow as a kitchen hand. Just want to hear people's thoughts about if they enjoyed it, is it possible to save money, what the night life is like at Perisher, if anyone see has scored a job and if there would be any opportunity to plays some shows as a DJ I have been producing bass music and playing in night clubs all over Australia since I was 18.

2. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Are you living at Perisher or Smiggins or are you in Jindabyne?

ladycamper likes this.
  3. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

What is this save money that you speak of?

Tanuki and ladycamper like this.
  4. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Bring plenty provisions from outside Jindabyne like Aldi or other stores even in town prices are bumped up for winter because we snow visitors are seen as wealthy, na assumption that in my case that's rather ironic.

5. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy Dedicated Member

This Portz guy sounds very typical of the younger generation , wants to save money while still enjoying the nightlife etc.

ladycamper likes this.
  6. kiter

kiter Active Member

I disagree . I'm on a tight budget and camp when I head down . Considering that the businesses there have a small window of opportunity to make money I don't find that the prices are any higher than Newcastle where I am from pretty much across the board .

7. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

You'll need plenty cash on hand to see the doctor as none there or in Cooma bulk bill and if like me you decide to present in the hospital ED to save on doctors fees, the only hospital with a doctor on duty is in Cooma, 45-60 minutes out of Jindabyne by road.

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Jindabyne medical centre bulk bill.

ladycamper likes this.
  9. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

To all patient? This is interesting and will put this information away if needed. Previously had been informed it was private billing only.

10. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Are your talking about the new medical centre (Jindabyne Medical Centre) or the old one (Snowy Mountains Medical Centre)

The so called super centre (the new one) does not bulk bill http://www.jindabynemedical.com.au/fees

And neither does the Snowy Mountains Medical Centre http://www.smmc.net.au/fees-billing/

However Snowy Mountains seems to be more lax and says that it is at the discretion of the Dr.

11. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Perisher Medical Centre seems to not bill you if you are staff - what determines Staff is unclear. Perisher Blue employees or locals.

Thredbo used to also be the same - def locals were not charged.

I can guarantee this to be absolute. But worth checking if you are living/working in Perisher.

12. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Jindabyne Medical Centre bulk bills local kids and those with concession cards. Others are at the discretion of the Dr.

ladycamper likes this.
  13. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

January special maybe. I was bulk billed by two separate doctors there last month.

14. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Or they take pity on you??

15. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

Meow! Saucer of milk for the pussy cat.

Ozgirl likes this.
  16. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

I've been bulk billed there if it's a return appointment or once because I was kept waiting for an hour. Or if I'm just getting a script. Depends on the doctor.

17. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

So how much is a visit to the Dr in Jindabyne?

18. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Around $75 before rebate I think. Around $35 out of pocket.

ladycamper likes this.
  19. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

So similar to petrol money to Cooma.

ladycamper likes this.
  20. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

I'd have to be nearly dying to pay that, when usually out of the metro area it's better to just present in the ED at hospital where you have doctor, radiology and pathology all accessible anytime and at no cost out if pocket to me. By stealth, our government has frozen Medicare rebates to create a two tier health system. I wonder what the costs to the community will be if more people avoid the GP and head to the ED at a hospital.

21. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

Yes but hospital includes radiology and pathology if required, also at no cost to patient.

22. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

<rant> Part of the problem of medicare, is that people don't value GPs anymore. They happily pay more than $35 to the charlatans that practice allied health, whose business model is predicated on seeing you over and over again, but jack up at paying a GP for evidence based advice. Usually a one off visit. Total lack of logic </rant>

ladycamper, Ted Harper and K_Bird like this.
  23. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Not sure if this is the best thread, but I heard today that for this season Perisher has had increased difficulty getting enough staff accommodation rentals in Jindabyne and some number of staff will apparently be in Berridale rather than Jindy. It was explained to me that one factor is there is apparently a big increase in Jindy apartment owners expecting to get higher rental rates via AirBNB and thus NOT wanting to offer a season-long rental to the resort where they may have in the past.

ladycamper likes this.
  24. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Blame it on ................Normo. :p
    Thats just crazy.....poor kids who think they are going to work in the snow!!!!
    Wonder why they dont use their own accom at "the station"?

#24 Zimboo, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  25. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

According to the lady that we deal with at one of the Jindabyne real estate agents, and looks after our place, many used to live at the Station resort and the numbers were reduced once the freedom passes started and Perisher offered cheap accommodation there.
    Its been getting worse over the years and AirBnB has just made it worse.
    Also because of the popularity of the cheap season passes, and a lot more repeat business in August for property owners its becoming more profitable to go back to short term (holiday) accommodation, even for older apartments still in original condition. In the past some of the local agents may?? have been a bit reluctant to put older run down apartments on their short term holiday websites,and these would generally get used as seasonal rentals(16 weeks), especially if they were unloved and not used any more by the owners.

But with airbnb, its not an issue, and many properties that were excess stock and sitting on the For Sale lists for years have been sold of in the last couple of years to new owners that want to use the properties for themselves and supplement the costs by using short term rentals when they are not using it.
    With seasonal rentals (16 weeks) you cant actually use the property during the ski season , which defeats the purpose on why many buy a holiday home near the snow. You dont buy them for capital growth, although the yields can be reasonably attractive ,even with good owner usage.
    What the resorts really need to do is to go back and start building their own accommodation specifically for staff and stop relying to much on the private rental market.

#25 WaitAwhile, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    IAB, coolair and Ted Harper like this.
  26. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

Ends up those worst off are those needing GP's the most, not the worried well with money to burn. If urgent care is needed and bulk billing not available it's go to the hospital. Even with my generally ok health for reasons of medical conditions I need over 40-50 GP consults a year. Annoying thing is the new rules about over counter codeine becoming prescription only......I only have it occasionally and generally use it for pain rather than something else, but that's not extraordinary in the bigger picture of a society that still allows alcohol promotions on outdoor billboards, at sport and TV.

27. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah the codine thing is interesting, my wife has terrible arthritis, and occasionally ie: once every 3 to 4 months takes 15mg codine for this, and I with lower back pain a bit less often do the same. People say what about ibuprofen, but it doesn't actually mask the pain and give you a good night's sleep. So I don't really know how we are going to handle this other than stockpile :)

ladycamper likes this.
  28. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

That nurofen plus, I had an abscesses tooth that was insanely painful night and day I was using well over 400mg of codeine daily over several days as panadeine forte was not strong enough, finally it's inside nerves died just after I managed to be prescribed some tramadol and obtain a dose of oxycodone. Several days later I hadn't been to toilet a while and the constipation caused me severe abdominal pain, nothing ive had before despite previous use of narcotic substances. Ibuprofen helps a little, codeine helps heaps with moderate pain. This prescription only thing will be like sending thousands of people opioid dependent in their homes off the cliff psychologically, even if theyre ultimately better off by ceasing to take it. Some will divert to other analogous substances.