Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
I've crashed out on my latest RSVP date. :(

That means:
- my regular skis can get dropped into Rhythm Cooma for a coat of storage wax
- I'll hire some AT touring gear at Wilderness Sport in Jindy on the way through tonight (I called them, they are open until 10pm)
- First lifts tomorrow
- If I can track down the strange people that don't ski with fixed heels, I may follow along for a Paralyzer loop or two
- might play with the rescue gear I bought
:woohoo:
Damm dude. Got my skins and touring gear out last weekend in preparation for Canada. But that 6 hr drive each way is just a killer.

Enjoy.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

That means:
- I'll hire some AT touring gear at Wilderness Sport in Jindy on the way through tonight (I called them, they are open until 10pm)
- First lifts tomorrow
- If I can track down the strange people that don't ski with fixed heels, I may follow along for a Paralyzer loop or two
- I might also squeeze in a MTB ride if the weather is nice on Sunday

Goodo.

Meet up Eyre Cafe about 10ish.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Can punters drive to Eyre Cafe yet, or is that a staff only deal?

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
With some overtaking you could do it less than 5hrs.

I used to do Pyrmont - Perisher in 5 hours pre majura road freeway.
Yes mate. It's 490km from my place. There is no chance I could average100kph doing the speed limits, even if I didn't encounter a single car. With no traffic, Google says 5.5hrs. I don't drive 5.5 hrs without taking a half hour break.

But mate. I know you can bend time and have superhuman alertness reflexes. That's why you're my hero. :rolleyes:

:D

Reactions: skifree

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated. I got rosey cheeks and half a bar after reading that.

What does the maths say? Mine says you can do 110km/hr for over half of the trip. And 100km/hr for most of the other half.

I used to get those times in a clapped out "car of the year 1986" magna with a faulty automatic gear box, never once getting a speeding fine or driving dangerously.

Reactions: W0nkey D0nkey

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated. I got rosey cheeks and half a bar after reading that.

What does the maths say? Mine says you can do 110km/hr for over half of the trip. And 100km/hr for most of the other half.

I used to get those times in a clapped out "car of the year 1986" magna with a faulty automatic gear box, never once getting a speeding fine or driving dangerously.
Part of being a maths genius is knowing when to use other peoples maths. Google did the maths. They say 5.5hrs with no traffic. So I'm happy with my 5.5hrs in normal traffic and a 0.5hr break.

But thanks for the advice, legend. :D

dshhnfgh.jpg

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Part of being a maths genius is knowing when to use other peoples maths. Google did the maths. They say 5.5hrs with no traffic. So I'm happy with my 5.5hrs in normal traffic and a 0.5hr break.

dshhnfgh.jpg

When does the Angry Bird get the co-driver licence?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW

dshhnfgh.jpg

Reading up the page you indicated that the "6hr drive....... is a killer". So seems you are not that happy with it.

Just trying to help out a fan.

Astro66

Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
When does the Angry Bird get the co-driver licence?
Not soon enough. And he's not interested in Touring. I'm thinking older young Astro will have brought us an Autonomous Vehicle before Angry Bird gets behind thee wheel.

Then once the lifts close at Perisher each year, it will be on like Donkey Kong. I'll be Backcountry Touring till my legs fall off. Then enjoying the sleep going home.

Stay Tuned. I'll be free heeling to Paralyzer soon. :thumbs:

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I never put my pole wrist straps on ever (big injury causer IMO). Only reason I don't cut them off is for ease of picking up a dropped pole with out bending down!! Lol

Instructors are always trying to tell me to put them on during lessons but it just feels awkward to me so they give up after a while!

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country

That means:
- First lifts tomorrow
- I might also squeeze in a MTB ride if the weather is nice on Sunday
Rhythm have plenty of AT gear for hire fyi

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Instructors are always trying to tell me to put them on during lessons but it just feels awkward to me so they give up after a while!

I wouldn't trust an instructor who says wear them!!

So gladly ignore them. Tell them they are injury prone!

it was a very good/senior instructor who told me to not use them and to cut of the straps to stop the temptation... but laziness won with that bit! (picking em up)

Reactions: Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

it was a very good/senior instructor who told me to not use them and to cut of the straps to stop the temptation... but laziness won with that bit! (picking em up)

No, I wouldn't cut the straps off either. You know I'm just slightly prone to losing / dropping gear LOL

Reactions: Ozgirl

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com

Instructors should be telling you the correct way to use the straps that means you won't damage your thumb if they get caught.

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
Just looked at the "lifts expected to be open tomorrow" list.
V8, Leichhardt and carpet 3...............could be a bit crowded if that's the case.
Grooming has been difficult in the last 48hours with moisture and melt big issues.
Plenty of snow still on the ground but managing it to a safe presentation is tricky.
I'm thinking a lot of people will turn up this weekend because it's still school hols, it's a weekend, it's still open and there's still snow on the ground.
Might be a case of "less Metres- more coffee". Grande Flat White thanks Bruno!

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
There are going to be a lot of cranky people who came down for the weekend to find only the V8 and leichardt running:( I might be one of them:eek: Pretty ordinary when they have been running Mt P all week, and to give no warning. They must have known this was on the cards, if it is due to staffing.

Doesn't bother me too much I have done plenty of skiing this season. Very disappointing for people like my daughter who has not got many days in this season and decided to drive down for this weekend:( I know this week is all a bonus, but they could have given some indication.

I know on the June long weekend, we were all happy to ski the V8, but then there wasn't a mountain covered in snow just round the corner that was shut down:eek: Looks like some longer bike reads for me this weekend.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
There are going to be a lot of cranky people who came down for the weekend to find only the V8 and leichardt running:( I might be one of them:eek: Pretty ordinary when they have been running Mt P all week, and to give no warning. They must have known this was on the cards, if it is due to staffing.

Doesn't bother me too much I have done plenty of skiing this season. Very disappointing for people like my daughter who has not got many days in this season and decided to drive down for this weekend:( I know this week is all a bonus, but they could have given some indication.

I know on the June long weekend, we were all happy to ski the V8, but then there wasn't a mountain covered in snow just round the corner that was shut down:eek: Looks like some longer bike reads for me this weekend.
I keep thinking it's either a mistake or something has happened. Like the creek opening between Happy and Towers.

Reactions: nfip

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I keep thinking it's either a mistake or something has happened. Like the creek opening between Happy and Towers.

I don't think its a mistake. If it was purely a safety reason they couldn't run mt p, surely they would open lawson or wentworth instead.

I sure it is just part of the planned wind down, probably running on senior staff only. Just poor communication. They could have signalled it in a positive way, when they advertised the extension, so that peoples expectations were not too high. Just poor PR.

Reactions: Donza and fmdc9

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I don't think its a mistake. If it was purely a safety reason they couldn't run mt p, surely they would open lawson or wentworth instead.

I sure it is just part of the planned wind down, probably running on senior staff only. Just poor communication. They could have signalled it in a positive way, when they advertised the extension, so that peoples expectations were not too high. Just poor PR.

So it's a shit fight in the lunchroom.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I observe:
@Kletterer ’s choice of wine is excellent
I have drunk too much of said wine
In the car I have a set of BC hire skis, which may be useful tomorrow
+ my MTB bike
my normal skis are being tuned and having storage wax applied
this may be my last ski at Perisher for a while

Reactions: nfip and Kletterer

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Pole straps are only an injury risk if you don't use them properly.

Reactions: Billy_Buttons

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Snow report still mentions Mt P. Not that there's any reliability in that!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass