Snow Report Perisher 2019 Trip Reports. Pics, Updates, Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
20191127_052916.jpg

Good morning:)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
The NSW Environment Department has been convicted for a second time of polluting a waterway that runs through Perisher Ski resort.
The Department, which operates a sewage plant that services the resort, has been found guilty of releasing aluminium into Perisher Creek at levels known to cause toxicity to a range of aquatic organisms.
Last year the Land and Environment Court also convicted the department of releasing elevated levels of nitrogen and ammonia into the creek.
It pleaded guilty and was fined more than $160,000.
Beats me how so much aluminium gets into the sewarage system !

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
The NSW Environment Department has been convicted for a second time of polluting a waterway that runs through Perisher Ski resort.
The Department, which operates a sewage plant that services the resort, has been found guilty of releasing aluminium into Perisher Creek at levels known to cause toxicity to a range of aquatic organisms.
Last year the Land and Environment Court also convicted the department of releasing elevated levels of nitrogen and ammonia into the creek.

You prisher skis eating too many cans.

Think its in the compound used as a floculant.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
That poo works is really difficult to run. With all of the day visitors the ratio of urine to poo is too high and the water is cold. Because of that the Park regularly gets fined because outputs are not within standards.

The lesson is if you're a day visitor to Perisher hold onto your poo until you get to Perisher. That way the poo works can treat the effulent more easily. Even more important running the poo works is the biggest bill paid for by your park entry, so if you don't make your morning deposit at Perisher you're not getting value for money out of your park entry.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
When the load on the plant is light, you don't feed the bacteria enough, and it dies off.

Then you get a busy day and the existing bacteria cannot cope. Nutrients remain in the effluent. Water obscurity suffers. Plant doses additional Alum to clump the particulates together, so the filters remove them more efficiently.

Alum levels rise.

It's a loose - loose situation. You either get fined for dirty water, or excess Alum.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Fortunately our law doesn't discriminate.

I'm talking people being morally outraged by any incident that occurs to a large corporate - whether its through negligence or dealing with something that is hard to control, as opposed to NPWS which the same critics of mines would all know and love - and be happy to accept a logical explanation from.

An example could be people morally outraged about mine water releases which may have been necessary to prevent more serious consequences such as dam failures.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Fortunately our law doesn't discriminate.

I'm talking people being morally outraged by any incident that occurs to a large corporate - whether its through negligence or dealing with something that is hard to control, as opposed to NPWS which the same critics of mines would all know and love - and be happy to accept a logical explanation from.

An example could be people morally outraged about mine water releases which may have been necessary to prevent more serious consequences such as dam failures.
My recollection from the ad was that it was a relatively minor breach that lasted, at most, a few hours. I reckon your imagined mines do that sort of thing on a pretty regular basis, and we never hear a peep.

Reactions: skifree

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Adani says hi. Remeber when Adani was fined recently and everyone was using as justification to cancel approval of thier mine. Noone calling for closure of KNP.

Reactions: Gimped

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
That poo works is really difficult to run. With all of the day visitors the ratio of urine to poo is too high and the water is cold. Because of that the Park regularly gets fined because outputs are not within standards.

The lesson is if you're a day visitor to Perisher hold onto your poo until you get to Perisher. That way the poo works can treat the effulent more easily. Even more important running the poo works is the biggest bill paid for by your park entry, so if you don't make your morning deposit at Perisher you're not getting value for money out of your park entry.

So show that you give a s&%t by giving them a s&%t?

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
CHarlotte Pass was evacuated (essentially closed down) mid ski season about 10 years back when the STP failed.

Almost happened again this year..... caused witch hunt of all lodges for bleach in kitchens etc.....culprit was spa in one of the resort's own lodges :rolleyes:

Scooter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Has been snowing weekly since october. There was 30cm last week.

Great angle on that pic.

Yeah, I knew that as I am enough of a snow tragic to keep a rough eye on whats happening and you only have to look up to see how white it was early December as evidenced by @SMSkier pics (Falls looked the bomb that system!!). I guess with all the fire and weather (hot/dry etc.) reporting for "Sydney" I thought most of the base/drifts would have been gone so was surprised it was so noticeable.

And yeah I thought the angle was pretty good showing Jindabyne and the Valley behind etc.

Reactions: SMSkier and Normo

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
No way. Have you visited the toilets in the Perisher Centre after 8am? Plus I find it very tricky in ski boots.
Lucky you’re not female then! I guess the loo is much further down for you though ;)

Reactions: IAB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass