1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Perisher 2020 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by SMSkier, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Nightskywatcher

Nightskywatcher One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I placed you on the starting grid. I think I was also a dozen places behind you on the Quad around 1pm, my daughter prevented me from calling out, out of embarrassment LOL

GlendaN and Ret-ro like this.
  2. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Around 1pm ..... would have been just about my last run then ,quick shot through Goats and out the door.
    Should have yelled out , I might have had another run or two. I was actually enjoying that little run ,snow quality was pretty decent except for the last bit of Yabbies which was pretty soft.

GlendaN and Ret-ro like this.
  3. Nightskywatcher

Yeah, it was a quandary, if I called out, my daugther would have walked off. Now, if it was you, it wouldnt havent mattered, I would have still had someone to ski with, but if it wasnt you, I would have looked like a right royal twit LOL .

Kelpieboy, Ret-ro and Jonathan_P like this.
  4. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It ain’t snow play if your officially checking snowdepths....

Smiggs under examination by grandkids.

Their official results.....LOL

5. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@Aractus Indeed it was!:) Thank you for sharing!

And what a top effort from Perisher to bring three lifts back to life. I was so glad to squeeze another weekend in and, judging by the forecast, it was just in time.

whether, GlendaN, Aractus and 8 others like this.
  6. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think I am officially calling my season done.

Started to get my hopes up on finishing at closing weekend especially with late season top up, but keep looking at the forecast it hasn’t improved in fact I think it looks worse.

Cant complain but always want more:)

Paperboy, Val Desire and Ted Harper like this.
  7. Nightskywatcher

"Please Sir, can I have some more?"

GlendaN, Ted Harper and Jonathan_P like this.
  8. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Did anyone ski today , cause you better get up there now before the rain .,

9. Billy Jack

Billy Jack One of Us

Yes I did. And it was fun.

aazz, Donzah, Kelpieboy and 4 others like this.
  10. Billy Jack

Billy Jack One of Us

Love that aspect. A reminder that we do have real mountains.

11. Noah

Noah One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We were up there today. Leichhardt too busy (why do competent skiers go there?). Was up and down International most the day mostly avoiding the rocks. No one was there. Snow was pretty thick from the beginning and got soft and then started the freeze late afternoon. Took whole family there and had fun. Didn't feel Eyre was quite as good, seemed a few more rocks exposed and pretty rough with more crowds there, though nothing dramatic. Did a few turns around Olympic and I like that spot. All areas choppy, thick and bumpy but I love that, the one ski in the air off a too fast turn, over the bump and spread legs to avoid the rock. Towers not so interesting. There were lines there but not too bad. Basically only thing of interest seems to be Eyre and International so will probably do the same again tomorrow. Very grateful for the late season snow and a last trip, a week ago it wasn't looking so good. Left the lunch bag outside for the first time and had no problems with that. Glad not to use a locker. With no smiggins I don't like using the front valley, but I coped okay. The Mitchell T-bar (is it that one?) saved me from the V8 lines.

Also, I'm have trouble getting daughter out of bed in the morning for skiing these days, any parents have any working strategies? Bribes and such don't seem to cut it. She likes it when she's up there but we started 9:30 because of her today.

Paperboy, SMSkier, Ted Harper and 3 others like this.
  12. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

You want to know what's going on, you ask the people that work there. ;) I met an employee from Mid for example who told me that they'd only hired half their normal staff this year and were overworked. Somehow I was not surprised. :) I also met a chap who's friends with the owners, I said "I'm not a fan" and he defended them. I literally said nothing else, no point in arguing. In fact on that point there was a guy earlier in the season bother some people in the lift line by what he was saying, some of them asked him to stop it. Anyway we rode together and I just directed the conversation to skiing and our equipment, and we had a great conversation on the lift.

So for full transparency - the Mid owners were rude to me twice, and I'm not going to give my business to someone that doesn't appreciate it. It's as simple as that. It's in stark contrast to the other seasonal small businesses that appreciates your patronage, and I've not said a bad word about any of them. With that said though, I'd note that the Perisher bistros have had quite a bit less on offer this season, unfortunately. :p

13. Jonathan_P

Depends on how old I guess, my daughter who has now just turned 4 is a bit of a night owl, Mr almost 1 early riser so not as difficult.

We would get everything ready first then just prior to leaving wake them, get them both changed, she would have a bit more of a nap in the car and he would sometimes do the same then we would give them breakfast in the centre. No complaints from her once we arrived she was excited and ready to go for day ahead.

SMSkier likes this.
  14. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing wrong with starting at 9.30
    You're not skiing for sheepstations

Jonathan_P, Noah and Billy Jack like this.
  15. Donzah

Ditto.
    Sun turned it to sand after 2pm
    But before then.
    Pretty quick snow.
    As good as I've ever ridden this date

Kash, Noah, Billy Jack and 1 other person like this.
  16. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Well, combo of other half being a Perisher skier, marginal season giving Perisher an extra 2-3 weeks of lifts running, no Thredbo pass options on the table (including summer) and having a butt load of Thredbo credit for future use next season has led to a return to Perisher after two years at Thredbo. A family of Epic passes bought.

Ret-ro, Jonathan_P and GlendaN like this.
  17. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

I understood Mid got taken over by VAIL ,, Is that next year??

18. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I heard their was an unlimited chairlift ride and bobsled and blah blah for $499 for the summer. Couple hundred more for bike access?

19. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    No wind, clear skies, warmish.........
    Make the most of it while it’s here!

20. teleroo

teleroo Ignored Member Ski Pass: Gold

Teleroo and telejoey1 bagged first trax on Mt P today :). Nice up there. Enjoy.

21. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I wish Thredbo would realise how many people are doing what you are doing. Many of us are sick of being treated as ‘mushrooms’.

Ret-ro likes this.
  22. BlueHue

Yeh unfortunately too many $$$ for a family of 6 for our level of use. Most of our use is winter with a few days of biking/bobsled/leisure centre thrown in over summer so the minimal add on for a 365 was worth it. I've got thredbo credit so will use that for summer trips this year and hopefully hold enough back for a few days at Thredbo next year.

Ozgirl and Townsend like this.
  23. BlueHue

Yeh I love Thredbo but still need to think of about value for money when forking out for 6 of us and obviously pass options are a big factor in that, along with better snow fail safes for marginal years (granted failed snowmaking will be fixed and back to full throttle next year). Most years the difference in what's on offer snow wise in the last fews weeks does not bother me but the difference this year was stark.

Townsend and Sage Oya like this.
  24. Jonathan_P

Lowest price ends tonight:)

SMSkier, JM72 and GlendaN like this.
  25. Swede

Swede One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Haha, this just popped up on my FB memory from two years ago, must have been a decent late season cover then as well :)

26. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Yes. I had some photos pop up from FB from this day last year at Blue Cow. Weren’t we spoilt!

27. teleroo

Question: can family members (kids) log in to their own Perisher app profile independent of my login?

28. Noah

Noah One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Was great advice Donzah, bit of perspective is good. I thought she was the annoying one, but it turns out it was me. Put no pressure on it, expected a late start and we were putting ski boots on at 8:30 up at Perisher.

Was another really nice day today. All morning on International T-bar skiing well, but not as well as yesterday with a few more rocks, messier snow. By 10am you could ski through the bumps in the snow, rather than bouncing over them. Still pacey enough snow and stayed that way until a brief period in the middle of the day where it was a little slower, but nothing too bad. Went over to Eyre where it had softened up enough for me in the afternoon. No crowds in either spot all day. A few runs again across Olympic and that's really nice at the moment, though the run in to it is really patchy. Kids making snowmen (or snowladies actually) and throwing snow balls and having a good time on that side of the mountain, a place they've not really enjoyed before. We know the area well enough that I could do runs by myself and monitor from a distance. Fun in the sun on the slopes in spring.

29. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

Okay I've just had one of my best ski days yet.

Brand new skis. Adi's gave them a hot wax for me, then I tested them out on FV. All good so I went over to Mt P. Did a couple of towers runs, and then a little past 10 who do I run into but none other than my boot fitter, or rather the boot fitter, Burf. Another chap, Karl of Rossignol Thredbo, also recognised him and before you know it we skied a handful of runs together before letting Andy "Mr Silk" go and do his own thing. Karl helped me massively over the course of around 3 hours, correcting some bad habits I'd developed and teaching me to correctly pole plant. It was just like a private lesson, only free. What a legend.

Here they are at the end of the day:

30. Ozgirl

oh for sure - was just stating the were offering season pass for summer only. no 365 or winter only pass announced.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  31. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    Fairly dry tarmac. Some darkish clouds. Doesn’t look as bad as the forecast indicated....at this stage :)

southpaw, Sago, Ret-ro and 16 others like this.
  32. Spence

Spence One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We had a great last three days, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday on the mountain. Skied until 11:30 yesterday and then back to accommodation for a shower and drive home to Sydney for work today. As this was a bonus trip, it was fantastic to be able to ski at all even if terrain was limited and snow a bit soft after midday. Strange season. One of the very few positives for me with the Covid situation is that it has been much easier to find the time to get down to the snow. Three trips this season and it would have been more had we gotten some more snow fall. Considering we were all unsure if we would get a season, it has been terrific. One of the few highlights in this most bizarre of times.
    My motley crew end of season photo. Cheers all.

33. SMSkier

Interesting morning out there. Started at first lifts with @Normo on the V8 with no crowd. And, was fully expecting only a few runs before the forecasted weather set in, at which time I planned to leave.

Made our way to Mt P with the weather surprisingly staying dry despite the forecast. This band of cloud came over but visibility held up ok till circa 9:45. Post that the fog descended and settled in around 1900 ASL. Gradually lowering as the morning rolled by.

3 hours later the weather changed and time to head for coffee and the carpark. All up an unexpected decent morning - no crowds at all and fortunately not a lot of surface damage at higher elevations when I left. Couple of pics around Eyre where the T Bar track was in good nick despite the thinning cover.

Not bad for the last day of September given the fickle nature of the 2020 ski season :thumbs:

34. SMSkier

Anyone notice the price rise......,A tad more of a jump than previous years?

Lady Penelope, Ret-ro, kiter and 4 others like this.
  35. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Finally got to lap the F8 at full speed with zero queue time. Playing surface was primo making for two fab hours - with a quick side trip to The Mount - one and done on each operating lift then back to The Valley for a slew of perfect laps before signing off for the day on my first carpet since June - the queue on the Carpet 3 has been constant all winter.

When empty and slick - FV truly is one of the best slopes across the whole resort.

southpaw, D-eye, aazz and 12 others like this.
  36. Kelpieboy

Good ,about time they made it worthwhile to invest very early ,rewards the faithful a bit more. I know its Vails way of getting an early cash injection and the bigger than previous years increase may encourage more to buy earlier (may even capture some of the Thredbo refugees who came across this year).
    Anyone want to hazard a guess as to end up price ?
    I would like to see it get to around $1150-1200 by Easter 2021.

fenrir, Ret-ro, kiter and 1 other person like this.
  37. Jonathan_P

I have the feeling prior to price rise they have sold a few more than same time last year (could be wrong, probably am:))

Notice reading the threads we have more than a few people switching over from other resorts, depends if this is representative of wider community.

Edit: Just had a look at an Internet Archive tool price increase between October and February was also $40 depends though if there was rises it didn’t capture via snapshots.

Maybe price rise is coming more quickly this year? Could mean end point will be higher like @Kelpieboy said above.

38. kiter

kiter One of Us

39. kiter

kiter One of Us

Keep em coming

Kelpieboy and Jonathan_P like this.
  40. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

I still lean toward Zalis, Ridge is fun when slick 2, airborne twice on the descent, Don't do that much now..I used to like Air.
    I am partial to a longer run. FV can be food, Glad it was for you today Rocket!

@Kelpieboy I am with you ,and you should get a multi-year discount , even if it was 3% off each year!! , They would be paying @Normo , @SMSkier and @robbo mcs by now!!

Val Desire, Jonathan_P and Billy Jack like this.
  41. Ozgirl

They can't go much higher (that 'ad' above didn't even say another beat the price rise) otherwise people will just buy the US pass.

42. Billy Jack

Billy Jack One of Us

I am a Back Perisher fan ie the Olympic face usually accessible this time of year from the top of the quad and a traverse. Sadly not this year as no snow on "quad face" so quad closed to top. Lots of punters hike from bottom of Vista but I am a bit past that at 68 years and following my stroke two years ago. Disappointed we can't get up the quad though. Best skiing in the resort IMHO.

Ret-ro, Ted Harper and Jonathan_P like this.
  43. Donzah

Best fall line in Perisher is smiggs duplex

Ret-ro, Olgreg, coolair and 5 others like this.
  44. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I’m partial to Bloody Mary.

45. Kelpieboy

It was more wishfull thinking for me. I would love to see a real early bird advantage. I would also love to see the resort entry for Falls/Hotham come down to NPWS entry level ,both day and season but not hearing anything to indicate it even being thought of.

46. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The year (recently) when they groomed The Screw was my favourite. :)

Lady Penelope likes this.
  47. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Ssssshhhhh!!

48. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I’m partial to the fall line between interceptor and North P myself

49. teleroo

50. Kelpieboy

Overcast but dry ,no wind and a warm 6c on the western side this morning.

Jonathan_P likes this.