Advice needed Perisher 2021 & Kids Options in this time of challenge

antonia1979

Hard Yards
Aug 25, 2014
Adelaide
Hi
Does anyone know if the Discovery Kids ages 3-5 lessons will operate this Perisher season2021?

Is there any lessons at smiggins? We are booked for 5 nights. Will we need to take the kids to Perisher for lessons?

hoping so ⛷

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Hi
Does anyone know if the Discovery Kids ages 3-5 lessons will operate this Perisher season2021?

Is there any lessons at smiggins? We are booked for 5 nights. Will we need to take the kids to Perisher for lessons?

hoping so ⛷
If restrictions remain the same in terms of operating rhythm compared to last year they will not run.

The issue with 3-5 is they need a lot of support in terms of hands on contact which cannot really be executed in a Covid safe way.

Last year lessons had to be private and required a parent or guardian to accompany i.e. to help pick them up for falls etc.

It’s actually not that bad, minus the damage to bank balance, it’s nice watching the progress, plus you get to take photos.

That being said, could be hope for you it’s back on the website though currently says Perisher Valley only.
https://www.perisher.com.au/tickets-passes/snowsports-school/snowsports-school-child-lessons

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
At least things look more positive than last year with their website currently stating "Our 3 to 5 year ski lessons are offered only offered at Perisher Valley and involve small class sizes to help maximise your child’s experience."

We had to do the private lessons last year. They had an under 5s lesson that was $109 for one hour... and when we were there at the end of Aug/early Sept, you weren't required to be on hand during the lesson. Their instructors were really great with them.

The 1:1 lesson has definite benefits, as they can spend a lot of time getting on and off the snow and waiting their turn in Discovery Kids and not much time learning to ski... but the trade off is then finding child care for the rest of the day with only an hour private lesson if they aren't yet able to ski with you.

Whistler does 5 day 'adventure camps' with a max of 4 kids and the same instructor each day. They are a fair bit dearer than Discovery Kids but their progress was amazing in comparison. I'd love them to bring in something similar here...

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
I just noticed Perisher have updated their website a little...

Perisher Kids 3 to 5 Years
Set the groundwork for a lifelong love of the snow. Children will learn through games and play in a fun atmosphere under the watchful eye of our professional, specially trained instructor.

• Discipline: Ski only
  • Start time: 10am
  • Duration: 3 hour group lesson
  • 2hr AFTERNOON CARE ALSO AVAILABLE: 1pm to 3pm - indoor and outdoor activities, see more below.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
I just noticed Perisher have updated their website a little...

Perisher Kids 3 to 5 Years
Set the groundwork for a lifelong love of the snow. Children will learn through games and play in a fun atmosphere under the watchful eye of our professional, specially trained instructor.

• Discipline: Ski only
  • Start time: 10am
  • Duration: 3 hour group lesson
  • 2hr AFTERNOON CARE ALSO AVAILABLE: 1pm to 3pm - indoor and outdoor activities, see more below.
Looking good, Miss 4 has been spoilt with private lessons last year, trying to get her to go to group lessons, now that’s going to be a challenge:)

Reactions: nezumi

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
For a moment there I thought the thread title was breaking news on a new coronavirus.

Momski

First Runs
Ski Pass
May 18, 2021
Sydney
We are signing up the 3yo for the group lessons and extra 2 hours for sure, I was so happy to see this info added to Perisher.

I am wondering is there anything for kids under 3 at Perisher? Not ski lessons of course, just a day care type thing for a ~16mo?
Our lodge is in Perisher so we need care up there.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
We are signing up the 3yo for the group lessons and extra 2 hours for sure, I was so happy to see this info added to Perisher.

I am wondering is there anything for kids under 3 at Perisher? Not ski lessons of course, just a day care type thing for a ~16mo?
Our lodge is in Perisher so we need care up there.
There is a creche

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Is 3 years old too young for the classes?
No, 3 should be ok, I've had kids do lessons at 3. If they are toilet trained I'd suggest all will be fine.

Biggest problem is the kids and their temperament a that age. Some love it but from my experience when they don't they really really don't and the rest of the lesson post meltdown becomes a difficult exercise for all. We usually skied in similar area of resort but gave the instructors plenty of space to do their thing at the same time. They are better at it then us - both the instruction and making it fun for and motivating the kids, give them a chance to work it through with the kid at first if the kids are not happy. Once I noticed a terminal meltdown from a distance (one of those when only the parent can read the signs of having past the point of no return) for one of my own and came and picked her up from a very grateful instructor, but every other time it was all good by lessons end even if the kids had a few moments during the lesson.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass