Snow Report Perisher 2021 Snow Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
You are probably both right. I suspect wind direction and drifting is equally as important as measured precipitation. Maybe moreso.
Not many years ago I skied Pleasant which was just a white ribbon of death down the left hand side ,it was later in June though. Going off the white strip wasn't an option at the time.
Pretty doesnt take a lot to get it going as Donzah has said. Most years however the first decent storm is a westerly and not an easterly so it might be interesting.
I think however the staffing of any lifts etc is going to be the handbrake.

sixty_eight

One of Us
Feb 18, 2009
NSW
Looks a bit different to 2020.....
1623281255421.png

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Not many years ago I skied Pleasant which was just a white ribbon of death down the left hand side ,it was later in June though. Going off the white strip wasn't an option at the time.
Pretty doesnt take a lot to get it going as Donzah has said. Most years however the first decent storm is a westerly and not an easterly so it might be interesting.
For sure.

They'll be focusing on maximising the effectiveness of the limited groomer time available between now and the LWE. Spreading people out with the least possible effort.

MtP will also be a priority for bragging rights.

So I'd expect to see MtP triple, BC Terminal, Early Starter and Summit, assuming enough staff to run them. And Smiggins as well.

As they'll also groom the cat track out to North P for access to lodges, they could possibly groom Snake Trails and the bottom part of Pretty to set up a loop from mid station back to FV via Telemark T.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
For sure.

They'll be focusing on maximising the effectiveness of the limited groomer time available between now and the LWE. Spreading people out with the least possible effort.

MtP will also be a priority for bragging rights.

So I'd expect to see MtP triple, BC Terminal, Early Starter and Summit, assuming enough staff to run them. And Smiggins as well.

As they'll also groom the cat track out to North P for access to lodges, they could possibly groom Snake Trails and the bottom part of Pretty to set up a loop from mid station back to FV via Telemark T.
I'd take telemark, still opens up lots of options.

Reactions: Marty McSly

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I think it was last year in late june/early july after 30cm of elephant snot as well. Off piste was a frozen chunk of ice.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
"lifts" - throw in the carpets and the beginner bars this isn't as huge a number as it sounds. Given the progress I can see the main face of Mt P, front valley to at least mid, blue cow summit/terminal and something in smiggins then you are pretty close to 21.
Yup.
Mount P chairs.
Leichardt
Happy.
Quad to Mid.
Maybe pretty.
Front valley
Summit, Terminal and Double at BC.
Smiggs.

Plus some carpets.

Reactions: JM72 and NightSky

W0nkey D0nkey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 5, 2017
Wollongong
Mates been hitting large kickers all week. jumps not new.
Yep, was there last weekend hitting it myself. Iooking at the cam this morning I thought they were building bigger and more of. Looks like its up and running now with the same setup we've had all week

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I had already pre determined to drop my skis off for a tune on the way home Monday, may as well get my moneys worth from it.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra

How wet snow slush affects driving​

An icy road surface is not always the cause of the problems on alpine roads, deep wet snow slush can easily turn a driver into a passenger.

On a wet country road hydroplaning or aquaplaning is dangerous. However slush planing, that can occur when driving on wet soft snow on alpine roads, is even more dangerous. When slush planing occurs you cannot steer, or brake, the vehicle because the tyre loses contact with the road even at very low speed.

The combination of deep slushy melting snow, a layer of water on the road surface, and possibly ice can make driving extremely dangerous, even for the most experienced driver. Slush has a higher viscosity than water, therefore is pastier, and cannot flow through the tyre tread channels as easily as water.

Yep, I experienced that yesterday! I stopped and put chains on the rear tyres and that fixed the problem, they still wanted to lose all traction and I could feel it, but the chains helped them regain/maintain traction. When I got to Cooma someone told me that upwards of 40 vehicles had slid off the road so far - it doesn't surprise me as I saw at least a dozen myself.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass