Snow Report Perisher 2021 Snow Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
I inquired today about getting a couple of private lessons at Thredbo in August. They intimated they’re booked out.
Does anyone know if Perisher is the same? Are the costs similar to Thredbo?
We’ve got days at Perisher so we could do lessons there if we have to.
Depends on the days you are looking at, check availability at the shop and pricing.

Lots of days sold out though.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
E7B9EAE4-314D-4E76-8099-1627F47F0D3C.jpeg
1DC21C10-775A-4211-8F52-4BCB013DCD4A.jpeg
27786A72-BCD5-44F6-8D1E-3B2D77530FD4.jpeg

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I inquired today about getting a couple of private lessons at Thredbo in August. They intimated they’re booked out.
Does anyone know if Perisher is the same? Are the costs similar to Thredbo?
We’ve got days at Perisher so we could do lessons there if we have to.
I may be able to help. PM

Thanks for the tip but we have our heals clicked in.:)
I'm training new hire alpine instructors all this week. I can help you turn better no matter what equipment you're using.

Billy Jack

One of Us
Jul 6, 2016
Other place car park was full, tickets still available, so looks like it’s going to be one of those years.

I get up early for work on city days, so no big deal for me, could be a little harder for the kids, just hope I don’t come across skip or any other wildlife on drive up :)
My big fear, skip, ice and a car on my rear bumper.

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
We need it to be cheaper. They don't.
Skitube needs to be duplicated!
I tried calling and got a message saying all phone staff have been diverted to other operations and no-one will answer phones until Tues.

no-one from Perisher has answered any of my calls this year.

a mate texted me to say ski tube working with no drama.

Funny I talked with them 3 times in under 10 minutes? They like Retro. ? lol
Nothing. Paid for snow tyres so using them. Happy to get up well before dawn to go for a surf. Happy to get up before dawn to ski.
This is clearly the way to go.. Those tyres are magic .

Glad we stay on the Hill.

The record on Smiggs Hill was set years ago, well before V8, Back when t-bars were king, We need to not forget t-bars as they are great for redundancy, when those quads are close or cannot run.. 4 days to go. ..

Reactions: Chaeron and GlendaN

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
My last 10 rides of the V8 last night took me 45 minutes, a 4.5 minute lap average. Queue was not ski straight on but close too it. As Nightskywatcher said there was a lot of snowboarders who seemed to have a lot of trouble with the dismount, so the lift did go into slow mode or stop often (nearly every ride I took).

I reckon getting laps down to 4min would be possible with less people, lift running at capacity the entire time and actually skiing at full throttle.

That would be 13260m in a standard 8.5hr lifted day (Extra 4680m with night skiing).

But those perfect conditions would never exist and it would not be that fun of a day.
2694F748-2395-4B03-A0B1-E0828AEBE325.jpeg
The best line I have found for night skiing is to drop into that 10m wide area between the park and the pylons ,hardly gets used so keeps its surface shape most of the night and gives you a slingshot into the catching pen :D :ski:

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Families aren't really the problem, but when someone places their board on top of your skies to hold there place in their group, it's a bit much.
You do need to apply game theory sometimes to get your group through all at once (and that's just for a group of 4 to fill a single chair). I've trained the people I ride with regularly to know the people on the edge of our group have a job to do on the merge. Not pushing in, but making sure they position themselves correctly not to be trampled past.

*Edit* I've also thought about glueing spikes to the tail of my skis to rip out the base of anyone trying to push over the top of them.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
You do need to apply game theory sometimes to get your group through all at once (and that's just for a group of 4 to fill a single chair). I've trained the people I ride with regularly to know the people on the edge of our group have a job to do on the merge. Not pushing in, but making sure they position themselves correctly not to be trampled past.

*Edit* I've also thought about glueing spikes to the tail of my skis to rip out the base of anyone trying to push over the top of them.
It's dreadful that you could be separated from your friends for those endless minutes of a chairlift ride. What if you have to spend time with strangers? Quelle horreur!!!

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
I think it's about time they ran a shuttle from Jindabyne to both Perisher and Thredbo on weekends like in just about every other ski resort. Yes it would be a pain, but a shuttle that drops you right at the bottom of FV rather than parking kms down the road, or worse still pre purchasing a day pass to then not be able to get into the Nat Park when they close it at 9am would be more painful. Or better still, for the families who just want snow play, who have never driven in snowy conditions before, take them to a dedicated area AWAY from the ski resorts.
I wrote to John Barilaro in 2019 about this saying that surely not having so many cars in a national park is a good idea ( particularly when the govt subsidises busses running around Newcastle where I live mostly empty most of the time ) he was quite courteous in his response and referred me to the minister ( Andrew Constance ) who basically said that it’s not a responsibility for the state . Strange coming from a regional minister but still seems to back the ol N SW stance Newcastle , Sydney , Wollongong

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
It's dreadful that you could be separated from your friends for those endless minutes of a chairlift ride. What if you have to spend time with strangers? Quelle horreur!!!
Seriously its like herding cats. Its hard enough getting them moving at the top of the lift without having to round up stragglers.

If your group spans multiple chairs or in the singles line then you need to filter through, but if you join the line as a 4 it's fair enough to try and stay that way - if anyone gave a shit enough to run traffic control at the gate it would make their life easier having a group sorted in advance.

Reactions: Wal42 and Goanna

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
Just back home from an awesome opening weekend. Most years it’s catching up with people, drinking beer and maybe a bit of fishing but we got some skiing in as well both days which is always just a bonus :)
Left Jindy at 7 both days so drive up was nice and empty and no drama with good parking. Heaps of punters around having a great time enjoying themselves, so good to see.
Now we just need a bit more snow and we’re all set for another great season :)

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW

Would you like lessons in queue rat strategy ?

Parking ...... refer to previous post for photographic evidence ....... is there a parking problem ? Didn't notice that myself ,I got my usual parking spot at my usual time ;)

Crowds ..... yeah there were a few people about but it didn't really bother me. Something we can all do ,I do it all the time so far this season ,is shout out "single" and encourage others to fill t-bars and chairs. I find the vast majority of people are receptive to it ,maybe its my charming personality and pleasant visage :D.

Mt P might open tomorrow ,info straight from SP and Mt Ops ,they have an ice patch near the top from wind scour and are struggling to get it covered.

Lastly ,I drove down the Alpine Way this afternoon and the area from Siberia to Geehi has big patches of tree destruction ,one of the worst incidents I have seen. Several places look like someone has fired starbursts into the trees ,clumps of stumps about 4 metres high and carnage everywhere. Driving through their during that storm last week would have been madness.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016

If you actually try and plan it that way, you’ll always be last to the top. Just relax, take chairs in two’s etc. By the time you get through the gates to the chair, it’s all over the place. Just go with it and re group at the top? If everyone did that the lift line would move a lot quicker. The poor staff today were trying to tell people to do that, but some patrons were more stubborn than others.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I wrote to John Barilaro in 2019 about this saying that surely not having so many cars in a national park is a good idea ( particularly when the govt subsidises busses running around Newcastle where I live mostly empty most of the time ) he was quite courteous in his response and referred me to the minister ( Andrew Constance ) who basically said that it’s not a responsibility for the state . Strange coming from a regional minister but still seems to back the ol N SW stance Newcastle , Sydney , Wollongong
This is BS. State ministers have a responsibility for setting policy and for liaising with transport providers to achieve aspects such as: safety, tourism and economic development and (public) asset -equity/accessibility.

Some services like bus transport, might be privately run but need a state/local government assistance (push) to start up or to be improved/adjusted. The State can even chose (Gladys/NSW Govt. claim to love choice!) to part-subsidise services to improve outcomes and initial take up.

Its disappointing that the NSW government aren’t interested in solving transport issues in the Jindabyne but not surprising. I think they need to subjected to some serious lobbying by Jindabyne tourist authorities and business leaders or even just call them out (embarrass them!).

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
If you actually try and plan it that way, you’ll always be last to the top. Just relax, take chairs in two’s etc. By the time you get through the gates to the chair, it’s all over the place. Just go with it and re group at the top? If everyone did that the lift line would move a lot quicker. The poor staff today were trying to tell people to do that, but some patrons were more stubborn than others.
I felt sorry for the lift marshals in yesterday's lift line madness. There were so many people with a distinct lack of situational awareness. So many unfilled chairs going up...so little punter sense. Sigh

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
I think it's about time they ran a shuttle from Jindabyne to both Perisher and Thredbo on weekends like in just about every other ski resort. Yes it would be a pain, but a shuttle that drops you right at the bottom of FV rather than parking kms down the road, or worse still pre purchasing a day pass to then not be able to get into the Nat Park when they close it at 9am would be more painful. Or better still, for the families who just want snow play, who have never driven in snowy conditions before, take them to a dedicated area AWAY from the ski resorts.
It does seem strange that Australian resorts are so difficult to access when overseas ones seem to be able to run shuttles from access towns and airports easily. Perhaps something the Ski Association could take up. A dedicated snowplay day resort with proper facilities would certainly help along with more capacity on ski tube and a multi level carpark at Perisher. Its certainly worse now than it was when skitube was first proposed.

Byron

Addicted
Mar 23, 2014
Warm in the carpark (3 degrees according to the car) with r@@n all the way up from Jindy. Carpark about half full

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I recall the days when Ansett Pioneer (remember them?) ran hourly all day between Jindabyne and Thredbo.

Unfortunately I think these days the punters just prefer to drive their cars and have the flexibility of catching any train they choose.

There already are limited shuttles but they seem to be small scale.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for public transport but I think the distance and number of vehicles required to make it attractive probably weighs against the idea these days.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Up until a few years ago parking was only a problem on weekends in August and during the school holidays so there was very limited need for public transport. This makes it very difficult to build a cost effective transport service that runs at a profit, and if it doesn't run at a profit who is going to pay for it? Whoever pays for it is going to pass that cost on to the punters whether they use it or not. I can see Perisher following Thredbo's lead in putting up prices to bring crowds back to a sensible level. The existing system is simply not sustainable. Putting more parking in or providing public transport only puts more people on the mountain, did you see the queues at Perisher, do they need to be longer?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Up until a few years ago parking was only a problem on weekends in August and during the school holidays so there was very limited need for public transport. This makes it very difficult to build a cost effective transport service that runs at a profit, and if it doesn't run at a profit who is going to pay for it? Whoever pays for it is going to pass that cost on to the punters whether they use it or not. I can see Perisher following Thredbo's lead in putting up prices to bring crowds back to a sensible level. The existing system is simply not sustainable. Putting more parking in or providing public transport only puts more people on the mountain, did you see the queues at Perisher, do they need to be longer?
If more lifts were open...the lift lines would be fine at Perisher.
Thats not really the issue IMO.

Its more the parking/road/infrastructure congestion.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Other place put up pricing, still had tickets yet ran out of parking by 9:30am, so higher ticket pricing did nothing in relation to parking/traffic issues.

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Public transport in Australia never runs at a profit. It is only once government subsidies are given does it become profitable. And there is zero chance the NSW gov will come to the party and subsidise public transport for the ski fields.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
My 2 cents.
Perisher needs to build an additional road to a carpark/snow play/tube town/ food.bev toilets across from Perisher View underneath Mount Piper.
I know that Tube town was a huge moneyspinner for them per groomer hour.
Alas though. It makes the main carpark blow out.

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
My 2 cents.
Perisher needs to build an additional road to a carpark/snow play/tube town/ food.bev toilets across from Perisher View underneath Mount Piper.
I know that Tube town was a huge moneyspinner for them per groomer hour.
Alas though. It makes the main carpark blow out.
Make it you can only access the tube town with a valid ski tube ticket.

Reactions: crackson

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Other place put up pricing, still had tickets yet ran out of parking by 9:30am, so higher ticket pricing did nothing in relation to parking/traffic issues.
This year is not a normal year for obvious reasons, but the cheap tickets over the last decade have introduced a lot of new people to skiing so we are going to have to put up with these crowds for some time.

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
If more lifts were open...the lift lines would be fine at Perisher.
Thats not really the issue IMO.

Its more the parking/road/infrastructure congestion.
Agree 100%. We have to have our ski trips during July School holidays out of necessity when crowds are at their peak. If you know the tricks to avoid the crowds at certain lifts, (eg ski the Ridge from open until 10am then go somewhere else) then you shouldn’t spend much time standing in lines. When everyone is confined to just a few key lifts it’s a different story. This recent dump from the east has been great to set up an initial base, so any top ups should open up more terrain pretty quickly. I am not worried about July school holiday crowds at all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass