Snow Report Perisher 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I wonder if there would come a point in terms of crowds where the resort would limit the amount open, or even consider closing?

First no Sydney people. Now no Victorians. Queensland hanging by a thread, and people will probably not come, given the risk of trying to get back. So that leaves locals, ACT and regional NSW. You would have to think if ACT got taken down for whatever reason, that would affect things.

Bearing in mind last year they closed Falls / Hotham when Melbourne was locked down. Also considering in late season they start closing areas down, even with good snow cover.

My own opinion is Perisher is Vails flagship Ozzie resort, and they would try to keep it running no matter what, even if in a limited capacity. Obviously if cases pop up locally, then that might be a different ball game

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
come a point in terms of crowds where the resort would limit the amount open, or even consider closing?
I was just thinking that. I would hate for them to suddenly decide oh well we aren't getting the number to justify all the lift being open.

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
First no Sydney people. Now no Victorians. Queensland hanging by a thread, and people will probably not come, given the risk of trying to get back. So that leaves locals, ACT and regional NSW. You would have to think if ACT got taken down for whatever reason, that would affect things.

Bearing in mind last year they closed Falls / Hotham when Melbourne was locked down. Also considering in late season they start closing areas down, even with good snow cover.

My own opinion is Perisher is Vails flagship Ozzie resort, and they would try to keep it running no matter what, even if in a limited capacity. Obviously if cases pop up locally, then that might be a different ball game
I’ve been wondering the same thing @robbo mcs. We’re from regional NSW and are booked in for late August….

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I wonder if there would come a point in terms of crowds where the resort would limit the amount open, or even consider closing?

They are pretty agile at keeping all the resort open with minimum required lifts in most places. I guess that doesn't work in Bluecow, but most other areas they can close a few and keep all the runs open.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018

Crossing fingers it stays open, still hoping for a ski in September or early October.

An optimist quickly becoming pessimistic.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Im now inclined to believe that 2021 is a complete right off. I dont think that a single one of us would have guessed that it would be this way given last year. I was meant to arrive tomorrow afternoon (timed it perfectly for the dump coming as well.......). Lucky ducks who are still there but be loving it. No one around, even quieter than last year

Assuming I pass all my units this semester I have all of next year off. Me thinking I will put all my ski time into next year and go for a season.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017

Vail acting very quickly last year to stop lifts at Falls and Hotham.

The comms was rubbish, decision made in arvo to not open the following day, people arriving to accomodation to be told that there was no lifts going forward.

If they do decide to stop, I hope at least the announcement is better managed.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Just a little heads up for all of you driving into Perisher.

Mr plod is driving an unmarked ute that looks something like this.

Lights on the dashboard, no other visible markings. He is particularly keen on the 40kmhr areas. :)

Be warned!

1626043414661.png
Hope you didn't find out the hard way.

danski_li

Hard Yards
Aug 26, 2019
Canberra
More bad economic news for Perisher and Snowy Mountains businesses.

Cancellation notice issued for
SUBARU Southern NSW & ACT Interschools Snowsport Championships
Tuesday 20 July to Friday 23 July 2021.
"In line with the expanding COVID-19 numbers and subsequent restrictions announced by the NSW Premier over the weekend, Snow Australia Interschools has decided to postpone the July 20-23 STH NSW & ACT Interschools Snowsport Championship.

We are currently developing a revised operational proposal for the scheduled August 23-27 State Interschools Snowsport Championships..."

Src: https://www.interschools.com.au/news/snow-australia-nswactqld-interschools-snowsport-update-july-12/

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
"In line with the expanding COVID-19 numbers and subsequent restrictions announced by the NSW Premier over the weekend, Snow Australia Interschools has decided to postpone the July 20-23 STH NSW & ACT Interschools Snowsport Championship.

We are currently developing a revised operational proposal for the scheduled August 23-27 State Interschools Snowsport Championships..."

Src: https://www.interschools.com.au/news/snow-australia-nswactqld-interschools-snowsport-update-july-12/

Yeah Steve was saying the other day its a massive impact on the interschools financially. The proposal for states loosley was to let individuals book and not schools. With some other enhancements to run the kids through quick. There would certainly be less of them not in school hols.... But that was before Covid was this bad.

Sport NSW have pretty much directed all sporting bodies during Covid that if you can't include all eligible competitors, than you shouldn't run the competition.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
(Not sure if the pic is allowed, but anyway) Plenty of folk not wearing masks, however I was pleased to see staff walking around and telling people on the trip back down to wear them.

9A9E1C95-1FC9-4475-BFBB-1CC3D2C04B81.jpeg

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
What a cracker of a day.
Coffee from Brunelli's and a quick chat with @Normo.
Then caught up with @Billy Jack and Noel and skied with them up to lunch. Zalis at Blue Cow was the pick of the runs. Best it has ever skied in my opinion. They must be putting something in the water. ZERO lift queue's all day. Ended up doing 6780m as it was just awesome to ski ridge and summit with no punters.
Rinse and repeat tomorrow would be nice but the legs are now protesting.
A couple of reds should fix the weary muscles. :D

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Vail acting very quickly last year to stop lifts at Falls and Hotham.

The comms was rubbish, decision made in arvo to not open the following day, people arriving to accomodation to be told that there was no lifts going forward.

If they do decide to stop, I hope at least the announcement is better managed.
But did they have snow??

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
What a cracker of a day.
Coffee from Brunelli's and a quick chat with @Normo.
Then caught up with @Billy Jack and Noel and skied with them up to lunch. Zalis at Blue Cow was the pick of the runs. Best it has ever skied in my opinion. They must be putting something in the water. ZERO lift queue's all day. Ended up doing 6780m as it was just awesome to ski ridge and summit with no punters.
Rinse and repeat tomorrow would be nice but the legs are now protesting.
A couple of reds should fix the weary muscles. :D

Had some great runs down Zalis yesterday too. I put it down to being early and less people scraping it off.

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
I don’t think Perisher will close (unless there’s a covid outbreak in the area), they already have a few lifts they’d normally run listed as on demand, hopefully that’s as far as they go. Anyway I’m back tomorrow for three days, suppose to work Friday but maybe I should stay till Sunday looking at the forecast.

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
Hate to break it to everyone, but with no Sydney, No Victoria and shortly no QLD, the NSW resorts will not stay open for the sake of a couple of punters from regional NSW and the ACT.

Current settings have Sydney locked down until at least October, some saying Xmas.

• Sad
Reactions: Jonathan_P

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
^^^^^^
And it won't be long before the ACT will block NSW people, which will stop those public servants coming down for a slide. Great time to be a local, irrespective of Nana's plot. Until they turn off the lifts. But I doubt they will turn off completely, get rid of the cow and smiggs maybe, but Perisher itself will run the season. They will have to keep going in for when the lockdown finishes anyway.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
^^^^^^
And it won't be long before the ACT will block NSW people, which will stop those public servants coming down for a slide. Great time to be a local, irrespective of Nana's plot. Until they turn off the lifts. But I doubt they will turn off completely, get rid of the cow and smiggs maybe, but Perisher itself will run the season. They will have to keep going in for when the lockdown finishes anyway.
I don't think the ACT has closed the border to regional NSW at all during the pandemic. I'm not sure why we'd do it now since there's no cases and even with cases I can't see it happening.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I don't think the ACT has closed the border to regional NSW at all during the pandemic. I'm not sure why we'd do it now since there's no cases and even with cases I can't see it happening.
You are probably correct, and the Queanbeyan thing complicates said closure, but now that all the other states have put the ACT in the same class as NSW they may rethink that strategy.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
You are probably correct, and the Queanbeyan thing complicates said closure, but now that all the other states have put the ACT in the same class as NSW they may rethink that strategy.
They closed to the ACT last time as well. Other states will come around fairly soon and allow travel from the ACT probably. Anyway, not really relevant to this thread. Sorry!

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
Hate to break it to everyone, but with no Sydney, No Victoria and shortly no QLD, the NSW resorts will not stay open for the sake of a couple of punters from regional NSW and the ACT.

Current settings have Sydney locked down until at least October, some saying Xmas.

Plenty of people doing it a lot worse than me currently and I’ve been lucky enough to have 10 days on snow so far this season with another 3 days this week. So not going to complain if that does happen, but I do hope you are wrong.

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
So I have until Thursday to make a call on my accommodation in Perisher for 29th August. Thursday is the 45 day cancellation cut-off.
Do I roll the dice for the border re-opening (from Vic) or pull the pin and re-schedule in a Vic resort.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
So I have until Thursday to make a call on my accommodation in Perisher for 29th August. Thursday is the 45 day cancellation cut-off.
Do I roll the dice for the border re-opening (from Vic) or pull the pin and re-schedule in a Vic resort.
I cannot see you getting into NSW by then.

Best to be safe IMO.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Vic won’t reopen until the Sydney breakout comes down below 40 active cases and a capacity to manage via red, orange, green zones imo…. Which could be weeks away…. Even odds.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
How much of an optimist are you?

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Vic won’t reopen until the Sydney breakout comes down below 40 active cases and a capacity to manage via red, orange, green zones imo…. Which could be weeks away…. Even odds.
Sadly, I probably knew the answer but was looking for some confidence from others.
Now I wonder what the chances are of accommodation in the Vic resorts. Better start looking.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW

Na. Limited services is as far as it will go ,Perisher will stay open in some form.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Na. Limited services is as far as it will go ,Perisher will stay open in some form.
Yeah remember that the Vic situation had a lot more uncertainty- season hadn’t kicked off, the country hadn’t shown any real ability to control outbreaks and hadn’t long been out of the initial lockdowns, ski industry didn’t have any real experience in dealing with pandemic conditions.
a lot has changed this time around, and the resorts have had a pretty decent start to the season from a business and snow perspective. Staff will probably take the biggest hit unfortunately

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Im now inclined to believe that 2021 is a complete right off. I dont think that a single one of us would have guessed that it would be this way given last year. I was meant to arrive tomorrow afternoon (timed it perfectly for the dump coming as well.......). Lucky ducks who are still there but be loving it. No one around, even quieter than last year
Assuming I pass all my units this semester I have all of next year off. Me thinking I will put all my ski time into next year and go for a season.

From the PM down Australia is drowning in hubris. This was inevitable.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
They will stay open I think. They will be trying to minimise Epic pass refunds. If they were to close, anyone from ACT or regional who hadn’t used their pass yet would be up for a refund.

Also they will be desperately hoping Sydney gets out of lockdown at some stage this season, even if only September. That way Epic pass holders will be able to come down and use the passes, even if only for a few days, and minimise refunds.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass