Snow Report Perisher 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Red Bill

Hard Yards
Sep 30, 2020
Meadowbank / Jindabyne
I am going to call it BMOTS if not DOTS.
On way to ultimate destination I had a fantastic run down the Cleft which just got me salivating for MtP.
Wow .... how good was it wide of Eyre and out at Shifty's ? Incredible is the answer. Best Morning Of The Season for me. Later enjoyed a few runs with a fella named Michael and shared a few T's with @Red Bill ,cheers guys very enjoyable.
12,000+ vm's for the day says it all , the snow was so good to ski on all day that I just couldn't stop.
It was a pleasure meeting you. Glad you got another new Kelpie!

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
With Normo's permission .....
20210730_071953.jpg

Surface feels like a Fast 9 but should soften to a Good 7/8

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
So who was it that wanted to buy into a lodge?

Can someone please help me understand why Marritz at 5m isnt a license to print money? ie wouldn't their top line revenue be at least $1m+ per year? $500pn * 60 nights * 70 beds * 50% occupancy? I'm surprised its not profitable but clearly the owners aren't selling it if its a gold mine so obviously things we don't know. I'd estimate at least $400k p/y profit, depending on the below cost estimates.

Assuming they'd need 5-10 FT staff during that 3 months too, which would cost $200k
Catering/drinks COGS another max $80k
NPWS bribes $130k (I think $1800 per bed)
Admin/legals $30k
Insurance $50k (est?)
Electricity, gas and water $50k p/y
Repairs and maintenance $40k

Reactions: fenrir

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Can someone please help me understand why Marritz at 5m isnt a license to print money? ie wouldn't their top line revenue be at least $1m+ per year? $500pn * 60 nights * 70 beds * 50% occupancy? I'm surprised its not profitable but clearly the owners aren't selling it if its a gold mine so obviously things we don't know. I'd estimate at least $400k p/y profit, depending on the below cost estimates.

Assuming they'd need 5-10 FT staff during that 3 months too, which would cost $200k
Admin/legals $30k
Insurance $50k (est?)

I don’t know about P&L. But over the past 2 or 3 off seasons they ploughed a very large sum of money into major renovations.

Ever hear the rumour that it has its own tunnel?

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW

Admin/legals $30k
Insurance $50k (est?)
I'd be curious to see the P&L, but regardless I think they've had it for a long time and running a property that size is bloody hard work and it's still so reliant on there being a decent snow season. If they want to retire to the tropics somewhere I'd understand

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Think we are in for a busy weekend. Had to drive to Canberra this AM. Heavy traffic heading this way. Rhythm in Cooma was hectic.
Crap, looks like it's early starts for the weekend.

Coming down for a full week with some friends (booked back at the end of January). Hopefully we get some quality time during the week without the crowds.

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
I don’t know about P&L. But over the past 2 or 3 off seasons they ploughed a very large sum of money into major renovations.

Ever hear the rumour that it has its own tunnel?
If I remember correctly, it went up for sale about 8 seasons back followed by major excavations, foundation work and drainage at the rear of the building. Then to do internal reno's everything had to be up to current fire, health and safety standards. Not much profit left over after a couple of lean seasons.

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
If I remember correctly, it went up for sale about 8 seasons back followed by major excavations, foundation work and drainage at the rear of the building. Then to do internal reno's everything had to be up to current fire, health and safety standards. Not much profit left over after a couple of lean seasons.

But prices and demand for accom at Perisher are only going to grow with the epic effect, and the increased demand for skiing and snowboarding in oz. Borders reopening may have some unfavourable impact on oz resorts but it will be minor (as people choose to ski overseas instead of pay $194 per day lift passes).

I wonder if they are hurting with the lack of cash flow from this season and need to offload urgently, or trying to take of the boom in regional property etc. $5m for Marritz is likely slightly overprice vs this one 2 yrs ago:

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I'd say 50 k for insurance is under by a few multiples, judging by what I hear about club lodges. Pricing for bushfire coverage has blown out immensely - if you can get it.

Reactions: nezumi and Kash

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
I'd say 50 k for insurance is under by a few multiples, judging by what I hear about club lodges. Pricing for bushfire coverage has blown out immensely - if you can get it.

I've seen a few club annual reports, and insurance is usually $15-25k so I 'd have thought double for a hotel would suffice, but good point on bushfire insurance. That would be tough given the selwyn issue.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
I've seen a few club annual reports, and insurance is usually $15-25k so I 'd have thought double for a hotel would suffice, but good point on bushfire insurance. That would be tough given the selwyn issue.
Our club’s new premium is now 47K, up by 3 fold on earlier year’s premiums. insurance for commercial operations is even harder to obtain as there is no appetite to take on Alpine risk in the reinsurance market.

Reactions: Kash

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
NSW or ACT plates ?
A mix of both, Rhythm seemed to have a few people returning gear however when I was there about 1.30 - 2pm. The highway heading north into cooma also seemed busy with what looked like people heading home.

Reactions: SMSkier

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Not a bad day all up ,it was no yesterday but quite decent all the same. It was good to see @SMSkier having a slide early in the day and the return of @Normo.
Headed over to MtP for some early Eyre action and hooked up with @Balsta for a few spins , good turns those early ones :) . After that I found myself sliding around with a nice bloke from Perisher management ,legal department ,and had a good chinwag about how things are evolving this season and into the future. I won't share most of our conversation however I think it's ok to mention the new MtP 6 pack is still on the agenda and at this stage scheduled for debut in 2023. Good bloke ,good chat and I reckon a few of the conspiracy theories I have seen in these pages have zero basis in fact.
After that I met up with a mate and his friend and cruised around for the rest of the day.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia

Admin/legals $30k
Insurance $50k (est?)
Ok ill respond tomorrow but your numbers are way off. Insurance on commercial properties in bushfire risk areas is through the roof

Reactions: Kash

Billy Jack

One of Us
Jul 6, 2016
Might have bailed a bit early today at 11.30 (but after 7.30 start) but with all chairs on hold at that time queues were building even on Eyre. Although getting down to chilled to the bone still had fun particularly out wide. It was challenging but quite fun to ski.
49778347-4514-44DB-89D2-C3F08B7ECC5E.jpeg
74C10688-145A-4221-8DAA-7F5B45257973.jpeg

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Great news everyone I've got a new car! The tyres are as bald as anything though, so if anyone is going up on Sun from Canberra for the day and doesn't mind taking a tagalong do send me a message, I can meet you in Calwell, or really anywhere you like. Desperate to get back up there!!!

Okay an update. Great news! Got tyres & roadworthy passed on Thurs, ACT rego yesterday, and kudos to NPWS my request to transfer pass to new vehicle has been approved as well (applied for yesterday @ 1:45). Rain or snow I'll see everyone in the morning!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass