Snow Report Perisher 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Makes sense, I would have thought it'd be easy enough however to just stay out of the zone altogether? I might have to stop and have a good look one day to see if I can spot one, I wonder if they're anywhere else either? or just particularly like that spot etc
Mountain ops have to run the chair line every day to give it a visual check before firing up.

The burramys are endangered (as far as anyone knows) so development in their habitat is restricted. It just seems that, whenever a resort wants to build something, burramys pop up. I reckon the resorts should club together to fund a comprehensive survey to find out how many of the little buggers there really are. That might free up a few areas for development (subject to other planning restraints).

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
‘Pygmy possum area’. Drives snowmobile through it...
The closed area is more to facilitate the recovery of Alpine Plum heath after the 2003 fires. The plant is important habitat for possums nd only grows 10mm a year. The disturbance creted by a single snow mobile is much easier to manage than 100's oof skiers, especially when snow conditions are less than ideal.

From what I understand the problem with noise and vibration is that it disturbs their torpor/hibernation putting extra stress on them physically when the are most vulnerable over winter. If the context above is getting out the way of a potentially dangerous object then the inference they hear it and have time to get out of the way for mtn pygmy possums would mean their sleep is already disturbed.
Skiers interrupting possum torpor (tey don't hibernate) might happen but hasn't been proved.

Makes sense, I would have thought it'd be easy enough however to just stay out of the zone altogether? I might have to stop and have a good look one day to see if I can spot one, I wonder if they're anywhere else either? or just particularly like that spot etc
You won't see a buramys on the surface. of the snow. You might see a native rat or an Antichinus. The Blue Cow boulderfield is the largest possum habitat in Australia. Before the '03 fires there were approx 250 breeding females. Whem I first helped with the survey there were 6. When I last ran into one of the scientists who study them the population had recovered to 50 females.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Mountain ops have to run the chair line every day to give it a visual check before firing up.

The burramys are endangered (as far as anyone knows) so development in their habitat is restricted. It just seems that, whenever a resort wants to build something, burramys pop up. I reckon the resorts should club together to fund a comprehensive survey to find out how many of the little buggers there really are. That might free up a few areas for development (subject to other planning restraints).
They are well studied with fussy habitat equirements. We know where they are, they don't just pop up.
Re-assessment of Mountain Pygmy-possum Burramys parvus population size and distribution of habitat in Kosciuszko National Park

The Blue Cow colony was known well before the resort was proposed.

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
Simply stunning morning!
C42737FB-A3E0-4200-B306-9A6869031AF1.jpeg

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

Under the snow is a large cascading area of boulders covered in a labyrinth of interwoven spiky Bush which is the perfect habitat for the wee furry critter.

Prior to BC being built the lower area was an amazing pristine plateau of deep grass and shady snow gums.

Grass so soft and air so peaceful you could sleep soundly under a shady tree.

Possum Narnia

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dropbear

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches

With the hardest part of the lockdown being cut off from the snow, I too am very thankful for all the great photos from those of you who are lucky enough to be up there now. This is especially so for less common photo angles like this one. It makes it all the more interesting to see different parts of the mountain in all their winter finery. :love:

Billy Jack

One of Us
Jul 6, 2016
Interesting day today. Hold up loading the V8 first thing. No idea why. Had a couple of quick ones, yes “firm and fast” is accurate. Edges were your friend. Bailed quickly to Leichardt where @Skichic2 had reserved me a place on first chair. More waiting though while a mechanical problem was rectified. Once again, massive grooming effort around Centre Valley and Mt P. My pick today was Eyre again. The gulley was super sweet. That said, the whole Mt P domain was awesome. Found a few lines still skiable below the famous rock and the slopes under Olympic skied OK too.

Pic below the rock.
8EC53960-787F-4A93-8FAC-74558908B364.jpeg

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Hmmmmmmm. Night Skiing. There’s an idea!
:)
I'm on it boss ;)

Great days skiing and now we await the under lights version.
Skied with too many to mention this morning over on MtP but @robbo mcs ,@Normo and myself played with some very nice windblown left of Inter for a few hours and was maybe my pick of the day ,honourable mention to a nice little place over at Blue Cow that was still in good shape this afternoon.
20210807_131324.jpg

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I'm on it boss ;)

Great days skiing and now we await the under lights version.
Skied with too many to mention this morning over on MtP but @robbo mcs ,@Normo and myself played with some very nice windblown left of Inter for a few hours and was maybe my pick of the day ,honourable mention to a nice little place over at Blue Cow that was still in good shape this afternoon.
20210807_131324.jpg
We spent large parts of the day there, it never quite ran out of grippy stuff.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
He's clearly had a quiet day and he will probably take me again with night skiing but I'll take it.
Screenshot_20210807-163219.png
Took bronze off you with the benefit of the night session :D and a new season high for me. Today might be a cruise around day for me.

Road Conditions .....
Road Clear.

Carpark Conditions ......
-2.1c ,overcast ,foggy cloud up high so limited vis up there,almost zero wind.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass