Snow Report Perisher 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
What I find interesting from a few posts on what the +1 put on Facebook, is the suggestion that because this happened skiing it’s ok. If I hit someone on the footpath and I’m on a bike to the point they are in hospital, all hell would break loose. Why is ok on skis
Possibly difference, bikes not supposed to be on footpath. I’m not in any way excusing such a despicable act. Common human decency demands you stop and give assistance.

teebee

One of Us
Aug 19, 2009
Sydney, NSW
still coming down hard
unfortunately mostly liquid snow with a little ice
fyi location is just a little further up the hill from the man from snowy

JayJee

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
What I find interesting from a few posts on what the +1 put on Facebook, is the suggestion that because this happened skiing it’s ok. If I hit someone on the footpath and I’m on a bike to the point they are in hospital, all hell would break loose. Why is ok on skis
Not quite the analogy though.

It’s more like you’re both on “bikes” and you have a minor collision that causes a fall in a sport where falls are common.

Still should have stopped though. And taken care of the downhill rider, no matter how kooky. Common courtesy not common.

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
noticed the same positive vibe as @nfip over the past few days. lots of very good skiiers out and about too.

i couldnt figure out how the snow at mt p yesterday afternoon was crunchy and fast yet blue cow was creamy and soft. any ideas?

some observations and thoughts about on demands/lift closures:

* based on dashboard data, sat/sun had around 5000 and monday/tuesday had around 1500 skiiers through the gates by lunchtime. today, my ~500 vm put me well within the top 500. in busy years, people ski the bad days to escape the crowds. no need this year.

* compare this to previous years - august weekends would have 15-20k scan on by lunch time, weekdays around the 8k mark.

* the resort seems committed to running through to hte end of the season. i dont hav the data but reckon that they can achieve this by scaling down to late spring lift operations instead of refunding all act and regional nsw epic pass holders. there seem a few of these showing up.

* guthega appears to be on borrowed time. today the blue cow tbar didnt run in the morning. the wind by no means warranted closure. have heard the carpark double is closed for the season, not that it's run much lately apart from weekends. smiggins not being properly linked to the main resort suggests it will be cut sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Lucas

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
A good snowfall overnight enjoy those that can

20210812_053957.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Road Conditions .....
Setting up chains from Wilsons.
Slush on road from Wilsons to Prussian Creek ,snow on road beyond. Low level caution in my view.

Carpark Conditions ....
Dusting overnight.-2.1c ,wind 30kmh from Norwest ,sky clearish a few clouds/fog up high and vis looks good.
20210812_065038.jpg

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
None of that down this way.
Ammendment .... Albury is my state seat ,please excuse senior moment with a little lubrication :D
Clancy not as safe as he believes ,there will be a significant swing against in the rural section of the electorate. Is it enough or can we get enough townies to go as well ,who knows at this stage.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

JayJee

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
lots of very good skiiers out and about too.
Unemployed instructors and staff. Locals with suddenly a lot of time on their hands due to the hollowing out of the mountain economy. Diehard Sydney-siders and others there for the season. ACT skiers as well. Race and mogul programmes still ongoing. Probably refreshingly Jerry/Kook free.

You fuckers!

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
well Perisher has skid very well for the past 5 days.
end to end have had a ball.
half day in the backcountry to one of the trigs this morning
found some corn before it softened :)
SYdney can stay locked down forever IMO
the vibe , the energy on the hill is completely different.......
Goes for same on the roads on the drive up here as well.
No tailgating or kamikazi over taking.
The difference is very noticeable.
stay safe folks.
I really miss skiing……….two years and counting.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Skied with @hillyb today. Snow was very good IMO. Managed a lot of untracked turns at various locations. The least number of customers I can recall on mountain in peak season with fresh snow and sun.

I popped a link in the obs thread as well. Shows the wind up on Olympic…..

Sorry to those forumites unable to currently join us.

Some pics:

566F1190-D4DF-4C02-9DB3-D86E5D4763EE.jpeg

5C6A65D6-96FD-49E2-AAF7-E7584A893ED4.jpeg

2FE5AD81-04D7-4244-83E6-4EA01874FBFA.jpeg

6E7A2237-D2DC-4DB2-9DDF-629C44B03796.jpeg

595B2F1B-6C4F-4C16-91B9-6EFEEA606EAE.jpeg

06C0E098-86B5-44E1-87E7-C5195B084167.jpeg

1CBAED48-AB2C-45A7-841F-A36D8C7F116B.jpeg

25D41EED-B9DE-4DF0-83A7-ADDB915AA616.jpeg

4B2D621E-3520-4193-9EB7-19FA8B42BD95.jpeg

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I'd be surprised if they last that long, the Canberra market has just been cut off at the knees too.

Marquise de Kappy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2010
Redfern
TIme to pull the refund lever. Originally supposed to be there from 7th Aug for 3 weeks. Well that didnt happen so the 3 weeks before the 7th, moved dates to 12th Sept. Clearly that wont happen. For those locals or from LGA's not in lock down, enjoy the clear runs.
Actually, Im surprised that Vail aren't offering a transfer for season pass to next year. Obviously 'conditions apply'.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Heard through a bit of word of mouth that BC and Guthega are closing indefinitely effective Monday next week. Don't hammer me, I very well could be wrong.

In all honesty I would not be surprised, probably only 10% of the NSW population are actually able to get there atm. It's just not viable

If I were Vail, I would close everything except Front Centre and MtP and open the resort Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. While this shit gets sorted.
Or some version of this, that would minimize losses, allow them to open more widely if needed, not open themselves up to any issues with their tenants, and still be able to say they ran the whole season in spite of the Virus.

Just my 2cents worth

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
If I were Vail, I would close everything except Front Centre and MtP and open the resort Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. While this shit gets sorted.
Or some version of this, that would minimize losses, allow them to open more widely if needed, not open themselves up to any issues with their tenants, and still be able to say they ran the whole season in spite of the Virus.

Just my 2cents worth
I've been avoiding weekends, you know pandemic. If guthega is still open tomorrow I'll head over for one last run, same with blue cow. When I checked today however summit and ridge were on demand/hold so not sure that will improve tomorrow. I can definitely see Mt P and center valley being all that is open come very soon. And you're right, running the whole season is somthing they probably have to do unless they're actually forced to shut.

Reactions: Paperboy

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
Well we were initially meant to be arriving tomorrow but pushed back to September a week or so ago. Gradually accepting its not going to happen. It was easier last season because the snow was poor but this year its been great and I'm not getting any younger so pretty disappointed particularly as we cut short our July trip due to the threat of a border closure which didn't happen. Our politicians on all sides are letting us down. At least the forum provides great photos so living vicariously. Roll on 2022.

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Cracking morning over at Eyre ,running down off Shifty's and wider was just sublime. Lovely dry powder had me giggedy ,giggedy ,giggedy all morning. There were some rain affected areas in between but they were skiable and served as links to powder stashes all down the hill. Fantastic fun really.
Afternoon spent over at Ridge but it was a bit disappointing to be honest. Off piste had a crust on it that was less than optimum and the groomed runs were of variable quality snow which lessened the experience.
Overall a pretty good day.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Well we were initially meant to be arriving tomorrow but pushed back to September a week or so ago. Gradually accepting its not going to happen. It was easier last season because the snow was poor but this year its been great and I'm not getting any younger so pretty disappointed particularly as we cut short our July trip due to the threat of a border closure which didn't happen. Our politicians on all sides are letting us down. At least the forum provides great photos so living vicariously. Roll on 2022.
Under 10 months till kickoff :thumbs:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass