Snow Report Perisher 2021 Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
No sponsorship unfortunately, but Oakley Prizm Rose is a very popular choice amongst those who ski all season in all conditions. There is a good reason for that;)
Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

I remember when the "Oakley Thermonuclear Protection" stickers were everywhere. Certainly created brand awareness. But although I'm a tail-end boomer, I'm as resistant to marketing as the most cynical Gen X-er. So I assumed that marketing trumped product development at Oakley and avoided the brand.

Until today.

When the clouds lowered this morning I was skiing almost blind, despite the alleged "Chroma-pop" lens in my goggles. So I ducked into Slopestyle to check out the Oakley goggles. The ones that were the right shape for my rough head turned out to have a tangerine, rather than rose based lens. The dude at the shop reckoned they're at least as good as the rose.

But whatever, they're streets ahead of my old goggles for definition in flat light. Yet another convert.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

I remember when the "Oakley Thermonuclear Protection" stickers were everywhere. Certainly created brand awareness. But although I'm a tail-end boomer, I'm as resistant to marketing as the most cynical Gen X-er. So I assumed that marketing trumped product development at Oakley and avoided the brand.

Until today.

When the clouds lowered this morning I was skiing almost blind, despite the alleged "Chroma-pop" lens in my goggles. So I ducked into Slopestyle to check out the Oakley goggles. The ones that were the right shape for my rough head turned out to have a tangerine, rather than rose based lens. The dude at the shop reckoned they're at least as good as the rose.

But whatever, they're streets ahead of my old goggles for definition in flat light. Yet another convert.

I definitely don't *want* to like Oakley products, as they're now part of the eyewear conglomerate Luxottica (having been bought out by the use of strong-arm tactics by Luxottica) - but they do still have some great products for cycling, snow and baseball, so I'm more than a bit torn.

Bananax

Hard Yards
Sep 9, 2020
A1FAA7F7-DBBF-4CE9-83A7-C3702A91CFE4.jpeg

NOo_O

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
A lot rely on Telemark to get over to FV. I remember as a kid having to lug my skis uphill then a long walk over to Sundeck so I could get to FV. Telemark makes it so much easier. The earlier it opens the better.
I remember using Piper and Telemark to get to & fro for a whole season many years ago. I used to sh!t myself on the last little slope down from the Perisher side.

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
I remember using Piper and Telemark to get to & fro for a whole season many years ago. I used to sh!t myself on the last little slope down from the Perisher side.
From sundeck down to Piper should be a black run, steep,bumps,lifts,cat tracks, ice ,mud flats,bridges & up hill to
Negotiate all in 300m.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That’s what I figured at first, but the edge to edge aspect ratio does not look like Insta unless they are ‘reels’ or ‘stories’ or whatever da fcuk Insta call non-regular posts.

Something is a tad different and I can’t put my finger in it.
Its a instagram.com story.
Its a thing

Reactions: Richard

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
That’s what I figured at first, but the edge to edge aspect ratio does not look like Insta unless they are ‘reels’ or ‘stories’ or whatever da fcuk Insta call non-regular posts.

Something is a tad different and I can’t put my finger on it.
Fun fact also, IG introduced the option to ‘feature’ selected stories on your profile. So a user can keep their favorites to show off

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Yes, so I know all about the platform wars and feature stealing.

I actually use Insta a reasonable amount, but I just can’t get into ‘stories’ as they seem totally inane v’s just edge to edge vids in regular posts like Redbull bike/Redbull snow.

So I was curious as to if it was a ‘story’ v’s vid post screen cap. Which informs me that whilst I’m no fan of the format, others are.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Yes, so I know all about the platform wars and feature stealing.

I actually use Insta a reasonable amount, but I just can’t get into ‘stories’ as they seem totally inane v’s just edge to edge vids in regular posts like Redbull bike/Redbull snow.

So I was curious as to if it was a ‘story’ v’s vid post screen cap. Which informs me that whilst I’m no fan of the format, others are.
Many users seem to have transitioned a lot of their content to stories in recent years. I think people see it as a little more organic as a share. Stories also seem to stay in chrono order more than the feed.
‘Managed’ accounts can overuse stories, but it’s a more casual approach for punters. From a platform perspective, it obviously drives user frequency as you need to see it within 24 hours or miss out

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
Camping at Island bend or Horse Camp Hut and XC / BC skiing will not contaminate me. I have had my first AZ shot too. I wish I could have the next one sooner too.
Hopefully you’ve booked for Island Bend?

All weekends and the school holidays are fully booked.

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
Was my favourite run as a kid (mostly because the lodge we grew up skiing at is on that run.) but it’s a kids dream of a run
Its an adult nightmare I hate it with a passion particularly as its impossible to avoid if you want to ski to Smiggins which is otherwise a lovely little run.

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Its an adult nightmare I hate it with a passion particularly as its impossible to avoid if you want to ski to Smiggins which is otherwise a lovely little run.
Stay high skiers left of the lift drop down into the little bowl then stay skiers left till mid run cutting across the lift track on the middle flat section. Than it’s a straight line on skier right past telemark lodge onto the lift (or over to piper) can literally straight line that whole run without any major bumps or roughness.

Reactions: GlendaN

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Stay high skiers left of the lift drop down into the little bowl then stay skiers left till mid run cutting across the lift track on the middle flat section. Than it’s a straight line on skier right past telemark lodge onto the lift (or over to piper) can literally straight line that whole run without any major bumps or roughness.
Except when there is "traffic" on the bridge and you can't carry your speed up the hill to piper t.

Reactions: Wal42 and GlendaN

Xwing

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2016
Soooo ..... did you enjoy your weekend or not ? It wasn't quite clear from your post. :rolleyes:
Um, yes. I did not ski. I have a friend who owns a lodge directly opposite Smiggins Hotel so each LWE we stay and it is more about jamming tunes than skiing. Managed to do the simultaneous didgeridoo and cajon drum playing to accompany mate on guitar. Trip in on Thursday was amazing with snow all the way from Cooma - a couple of pics in the obs thread for the period.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Except when there is "traffic" on the bridge and you can't carry your speed up the hill to piper t.
Try going to the _other_ bridge (skiers right of the load for Piper, ie closer to Perisher carpark) then cut back left to Piper. Very much less traffic. Carry some(!) speed and it’s less of a schlep up to the T.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Nooo! Telemark is great as it is. It's a smaller version of interceptor. It's a blue at worst. Of course in icy conditions approach slower as anywhere.
Was lots of fun as a kid hitting the high side on skiers left. Cover depending of course.

Reactions: Golds70

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
How does the 'Bring a Mate' work ? You used to be able to send an email to someone for a date in the future but now I can only add someone for today's date into my perisher shopping basket.:crap:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass