Snow Report Perisher 2022 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
How much does first tracks play into it? It’s now both Saturday and Sunday and you don’t have to catch the tube to Bluecow.

I use to always arrive at 7:30am, get a park in the first few rows, eat breakfast in the car and take my time getting boots and gear on. I’d then trudge over to the V8 for first lifts at 8:30am.

Now if I go up on a weekend (even if the traffic wasn’t an issue) I’d leave an hour earlier with the same routine and be ready for first lifts at 7:30am.
It can be just as bad on a monday or friday.

Kelpieboy1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2022
How much does first tracks play into it? It’s now both Saturday and Sunday and you don’t have to catch the tube to Bluecow.

I use to always arrive at 7:30am, get a park in the first few rows, eat breakfast in the car and take my time getting boots and gear on. I’d then trudge over to the V8 for first lifts at 8:30am.

Now if I go up on a weekend (even if the traffic wasn’t an issue) I’d leave an hour earlier with the same routine and be ready for first lifts at 7:30am.
An angle to all this early stuff that people may not have considered is the benefit that may come from it for those regular or long term patrons.
No doubt there are more than a few who are going to be put off by the experience. This is especially so for those who have been caught in the congas only to be turned around at some point and told to go to the Skitube. The Skitube is an expensive alternative for families with the added "bonus" of a late start to the days activities. These people will wonder whether the expense and effort is worthwhile and may choose to spend their time and money elsewhere. This is what happens when something is over subscribed and the bad "press" may lead to others going the same way and not subscribing to the "dream" again. This is the downside of Vails business model but they will say expendable wastage surplus to requirements.
All this may lead to less subscribers in the immediate future and numbers may normalise for a while which is good news for the long term regulars.;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
An angle to all this early stuff that people may not have considered is the benefit that may come from it for those regular or long term patrons.
No doubt there are more than a few who are going to be put off by the experience. This is especially so for those who have been caught in the congas only to be turned around at some point and told to go to the Skitube. The Skitube is an expensive alternative for families with the added "bonus" of a late start to the days activities. These people will wonder whether the expense and effort is worthwhile and may choose to spend their time and money elsewhere. This is what happens when something is over subscribed and the bad "press" may lead to others going the same way and not subscribing to the "dream" again. This is the downside of Vails business model but they will say expendable wastage surplus to requirements.
All this may lead to less subscribers in the immediate future and numbers may normalise for a while which is good news for the long term regulars.;)
:wave:Mojo here after 14 years of loyalty is very low. Day trips from Canberra no longer a safe option if it means leaving at 4am. Accomodation totally unaffordable and camp grounds overcrowded. After a week in NZ where access is organised and affordable and you’re actually treated like you matter, Aus season passes can GAGF.

I’m done. Some backcountry will hopefully continue (if I can find parking) but resort skiing for me in Aus in future seasons is over.

Sage O

Like the herb, Hutte dweller
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Lovely morning skiing. Plenty of fresh about for everyone. Snow not too moist so easy enough to turn. The new snow has filed in the gaps nicely :)
F2B286F4-B118-4C4B-836E-DC04357313BD.jpeg

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
:wave:Mojo here after 14 years of loyalty is very low. Day trips from Canberra no longer a safe option if it means leaving at 4am. Accomodation totally unaffordable and camp grounds overcrowded. After a week in NZ where access is organised and affordable and you’re actually treated like you matter, Aus season passes can GAGF.

I’m done. Some backcountry will hopefully continue (if I can find parking) but resort skiing for me in Aus in future seasons is over.
Once they yank my caravan. We are same.
Same feelings.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW

BC is great. 20 days so far this year, and haven't needed any form of ticket. Back down tomorrow for another week.

You need to get up to the club fields in nz. Have to work for it a bit (exercise) but lovely. We honeymooned at broken river, and have skied all round the different clubbies. Look forward to getting back when the kidlets get a bit bigger.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Yes, there's that.

It'll be interesting to see if those factors plus interest rates plus inflation curb people's enthusiasm for next season.

I'll give it another year. Roughing out the cost of a month in Japan, the land content (accommodation and car hire) appears doable for about the same cost as 6 weeks of a powered site in Jindabyne.

I may do something different in 2024.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
“Killing the goose that laid the golden egg ….”

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Have to work in Cooma this week. Can't find a motel under $250/night. FFS. Who is paying that?
I stayed in one next to the Woolies service station (above what used to be the Chinese restaurant) called iMotel in 2020. Clean, but small rooms then priced at under $100 per night. Just looked them up: $237 p/n! Just wow ….

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I’m on a bus
I’m on a bus
I’m on a bus

Well today I caught the Jindy bus up to Perisher. Apparently the go is to catch it from Reedy Flat Rd where it starts.

However I needed coffee so I started at the visitors centre.

E300A58A-8C46-4C55-98DD-8B8F480385B7.jpeg

563E0E19-C3F8-4D69-9F01-082C178D8226.jpeg

They come every 30 min during peak periods. So long as the bus isn’t full, you can jump on any bus with a valid ticket, they’re not too fussed about the time which you’ve booked.

8F280A17-376C-4FEE-B653-214E25903F76.jpeg

962B8DCF-00AC-44A6-A95B-C82C94E770ED.jpeg

962B8DCF-00AC-44A6-A95B-C82C94E770ED.jpeg
Unfortunately, the traffic was heavy, but hey, I’m not driving and mucking around with chains.

1B4452D5-3FDE-4E09-87D0-A10B4F934063.jpeg

We changed buses at Wilsons with one that had chains already fitted, that saved 10 min.

At the top they drop you off near the ski tube station.

DDE9B524-A4BA-4455-9563-1E8B3ACC9716.jpeg

Just in time for an early lunch ;)

096FA76A-8B3A-468B-A5ED-A88F7503481B.jpeg

Was a very pleasant experience given the conditions. An almost European feel. Do recommend.

FD965FA5-FA9F-44BB-AB55-9F3D865D3D14.jpeg

D672CC68-CF2B-45A6-BCFF-417FB453A312.jpeg

0C7180E7-90BF-42A6-A7D4-3E837A33B35D.jpeg

Last edited:

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
I have been on mountain every day this season. It affords opportunity to observe “stuff”.

When I left the resort mid morning cars were parked down the road. Traffic control at Smiggs, vehicles parked as far as Prussian Ck and folks being turned back at Jindy.

Thats the 2022 BAU model (crowds, traffic congestion and parking challenges). In that respect, I ain’t telling anyone something new. It’s commented on by one or more of us here, every week.

Along with points others have made, such as first tracks etc, I still maintain that Selwyns failure to open this season is a contributor to the 2022 model.

On the drive out from PV, the speed limit is 40 kph. You could not do that today - nothing wrong with driving out slow because:

There’s folks trudging in family groups, sometimes 4 abreast, consuming the entire outward lane. Totally oblivious to the fact it’s a road. So there’s a lot of cautious driving to ensure the safety of others. So you see “stuff”.

Point being….. you can see how many folks are not carting boards, skis etc. Accepting that some - (but not all) are likely going up to hire. Toboggan’s walking boots and beanies are the order of the day.

Lots of little kids with parents, like a mini army, heading towards the resort or toboggan area etc. Sightseeing, snowplay and or just having that snow resort experience is a factor. All good :thumbs:

Hence my comment re Selwyn…. that’s over 500 parking spaces (plus 10 buses) that the 2 key resorts need to cater for this year.

The industry needs Selwyn up and running. IMO.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Not that I'm aware of, as far as I am aware she rents a 1 bedder in town.
I strongly suggest you take your complaints to Ski Australia, she is also a moderator on the official Ski Oz XC group, They are already watching her because of things happening in the cross country community. I can't say any more to protect the innocent, but if something is not done about her soon Ski Australia is about to step in.
Oh a different person bythe sounds of things. Mine is actually called Karen.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Oh a different person bythe sounds of things. Mine is actually called Karen.
So is mine....
I could be wrong about the renting thing, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1 bedder and her daughter sleeps in some sort of alcove or something. Off topic and doesn't matter. She is still a cow.

Kelpieboy1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2022
I stayed in one next to the Woolies service station (above what used to be the Chinese restaurant) called iMotel in 2020. Clean, but small rooms then priced at under $100 per night. Just looked them up: $237 p/n! Just wow ….
I still manage to do the whole thing on the cheaper side ,not counting day to day costs (fuel ,food etc).
Sesson Pass $850 ,All Parks Pass $85 and 10 day trips in a Camper trailer on a powered site with satisfactory facilities which this season are costing me a mere $20 per day .... yep $20 per day powered site. Admittedly this year I have a credit for unused days from last year. Next year will cost $300 per 10 day trip so still pretty easy on the pocket.
My trailer is well appointed with kitchen facilities tv etc ,comfortable ,dry and warm. Considering its really only a place to eat and sleep in between skiing what more do you want ?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kelpieboy1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2022
I have been on mountain every day this season. It affords opportunity to observe “stuff”.

When I left the resort mid morning cars were parked down the road. Traffic control at Smiggs, vehicles parked as far as Prussian Ck and folks being turned back at Jindy.

Thats the 2022 BAU model (crowds, traffic congestion and parking challenges). In that respect, I ain’t telling anyone something new. It’s commented on by one or more of us here, every week.

Along with points others have made, such as first tracks etc, I still maintain that Selwyns failure to open this season is a contributor to the 2022 model.

On the drive out from PV, the speed limit is 40 kph. You could not do that today - nothing wrong with driving out slow because:

There’s folks trudging in family groups, sometimes 4 abreast, consuming the entire outward lane. Totally oblivious to the fact it’s a road. So there’s a lot of cautious driving to ensure the safety of others. So you see “stuff”.

Point being….. you can see how many folks are not carting boards, skis etc. Accepting that some - (but not all) are likely going up to hire. Toboggan’s walking boots and beanies are the order of the day.

Lots of little kids with parents, like a mini army, heading towards the resort or toboggan area etc. Sightseeing, snowplay and or just having that snow resort experience is a factor. All good :thumbs:

Hence my comment re Selwyn…. that’s over 500 parking spaces (plus 10 buses) that the 2 key resorts need to cater for this year.

Selwyn has always had a place and a role to play despite some dh people looking down their noses at it. It soaks up a considerable amount of the new and budget market despite what people think.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I still manage to do the whole thing on the cheaper side ,not counting day to day costs (fuel ,food etc).
Sesson Pass $850 ,All Parks Pass $85 and 10 day trips in a Camper trailer on a powered site with satisfactory facilities which this season are costing me a mere $20 per day .... yep $20 per day powered site. Admittedly this year I have a credit for unused days from last year. Next year will cost $300 per 10 day trip so still pretty easy on the pocket.
My trailer is well appointed with kitchen facilities tv etc ,comfortable ,dry and warm. Considering its really only a place to eat and sleep in between skiing what more do you want ?
It's cheap as long as you have outlaid the money on a trailer...

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
As someone always on the lookout for the ‘perfect’ camper/trailer, can I ask what make and model you have?

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country

TBo ticket price also a factor.
I know a few that have migrated across to Perisher etc, and loving it now they know their way around.
They do the tube also which takes out a lot of the angst as I observe " from a safe distance" .

Kelpieboy1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2022
As someone always on the lookout for the ‘perfect’ camper/trailer, can I ask what make and model you have?
I have a 2016 Ezytrail "Buckland" but have added some extras to it. Decently strong with low silhouette.

Reactions: Spence
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using