Snow Report Perisher 2022 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Snow was good till I left around midday, got in did a few runs around link T bar at smiggins, plenty riding the t bar no one riding the hill. A few untracked runs through there then headed over to north Perisher. Made the mistake of leaving there, instead of just continuing jumping on at the interceptor mid. Too many queues everywhere else, including for food so packed it in. Interesting that car parks were full, even the tube car park was almost full at 8.30am. But I hardly saw a soul on the runs where I was. Lots of rental gear about, plenty of people just heading up with no gear either.

To continue a theme that others have mentioned, I was considering a few weeks back on giving resort skiing a mis next year. After today it’s feeling more likely I will. Free up time to invest in ‘other activities’ and free up cash for new equipment.

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Arriving tomorrow. If you see this in a lift queue, feel free to whack it and say hi.

20220806_093344.jpg

Yes, I look like a dick :cool:
Actually, that's not what it reminded me of.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
With respect to PSL and advice on leaving town before sparrows to secure parking….

I’ve written to the mod. Direct to the point, politely and one to one. Will await the reply but the short of it is….. posting advice to leave Jindy at specific times is counter productive to anyones interests (i.e. punters, carpark staff, snow clearing etc, etc).

And this, taken from the PSL site….

965E4977-38CC-4FDB-9DA0-8476CD4F564B.jpeg

Not sure what response I’ll get, if one at all however hopefully it’s pragmatic and considered. Or I might be to to go FO LOL
This thread has jumped the shark.

Many people on this thread are also posting practically pre dawn shots at Perisher.

All sounds a bit do what I say not what I do to me.

Perisher needs to fix you all by charging for parking. That will see the crowds thin out you cheap bastards.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016

Many people on this thread are also posting practically pre dawn shots at Perisher.

Perisher needs to fix you all by charging for parking. That will see the crowds thin out you cheap bastards.
None of whom are posting on the PSL platform telling people what time to leave town.

The good news is, in your pay for parking model, locals will probably be subsidised by those good folks who only periodically visit the resort. Same as the annual parks pass at only $85 per season.

It’s appreciated - thanks :out:

TechnoSki

Hard Yards
Feb 18, 2022
The ins and outs may not matter too much. Problem is the rise in the Australian population. We see pressure points everywhere. For example the beaches of Sydney. Population is needed to get the right diversity and economies of scale. But the point of diminishing returns may be some way off? Some how we need to better manage traffic flows everywhere. A systemic answer is not evident. It needs some kind of structural solution. Perhaps the trend of remote working may play some small part in smoothing the flows for the most people?

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
You're kidding me, right? I'm in the group as well but haven't posted anything. I've seen other posts from her that have a religious vibe to it. Pretty well explains it all.
Lu

The carpark is outside of Vail’s lease and is for all National Park users.

Kelpieboy1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2022

Who are you again ? Me thinks we may have a PSL spy in our midst. :D
I wouldn't say " many" ,more like a few take such photos.
To be honest I wouldn't care if the carpark was full by 7.30am so long as ...
1. All the drivers were competent and experienced in the conditions
2. Used that competence and experience to drive to conditions
3. Drove vehicles set up correctly and with appropriate equipment for conditions that may be encountered.

It is my opinion and experience that the vast majority do not possess all 3 and many possess none of these attributes and vehicles.
I know I have the necessary level of competence and experience to have the knowledge of how to drive to conditions in a vehicle that is correctly set up to handle even the worst of conditions I may encounter. I can easily think of a few others that can boast the same level of expertise and equipment.
The vast majority cannot and really may be a danger to themselves or others travelling in this part of Australia at that time day.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Who are you again ? Me thinks we may have a PSL spy in our midst. :D
I wouldn't say " many" ,more like a few take such photos.
To be honest I wouldn't care if the carpark was full by 7.30am so long as ...
1. All the drivers were competent and experienced in the conditions
2. Used that competence and experience to drive to conditions
3. Drove vehicles set up correctly and with appropriate equipment for conditions that may be encountered.

It is my opinion and experience that the vast majority do not possess all 3 and many possess none of these attributes and vehicles.
I know I have the necessary level of competence and experience to have the knowledge of how to drive to conditions in a vehicle that is correctly set up to handle even the worst of conditions I may encounter. I can easily think of a few others that can boast the same level of expertise and equipment.
The vast majority cannot and really may be a danger to themselves or others travelling in this part of Australia at that time day.
All it needs is a power hungry ranger to start fining people.

Or for NPWS to crack the shits and close the road before 7am.

This is the reality. She is ruining it for everyone.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I dunno. I'm not sure its PSR. Ive never logged onto PSR in my life, have zero idea what they talk about, but based on my own observations of traffic and parking, have realised i need to get up earlier to make sure i don't end up parked at bloody Dainers. Wouldn't surprise if others were similar.
But you don't.
I've been leaving jindy at 7.30...7.45...8
Having no worries finding a park.

Its like this weird idea that the perisher carpark is one entity.
When in fact. Its around 7 different locations.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I dunno. I'm not sure its PSR. Ive never logged onto PSR in my life, have zero idea what they talk about, but based on my own observations of traffic and parking, have realised i need to get up earlier to make sure i don't end up parked at bloody Dainers. Wouldn't surprise if others were similar.
I tend to agree, and I'm not sure Selwyn is a contributing factor neither, this has been building for years. Another factor is locals. The permanent population of Jindabyne has been exploding over the last ten years, and locals don't tend to use the tube.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
And you don’t think that’s because people have told to leave earlier from day 1?

Your seeing it because it’s a self fulfilling prophecy.

Chicken and egg.

And as I have said earlier because the last two years staff were allowed to drive up. Never were able to before. So car park filled quicker.

And I believe a bit of power play between resorts who want more parking and NPWS who don’t want to pay for it despite being the current lease holder. So they close the park as is their want. And Perisher get less punters. So they pay for the infrastructure.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Oh and is not PSR. Although I’m sure the are reporting the traffic issues.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I think having first tracks on FV Saturday and Sunday with no booking doesn’t help. Put it back at BC, forces more onto the tube and restricts numbers. It’s just too easy now, make them work for it!

I may be wrong but have heard they now start the Sunday WSC program early too? Used the be a 9:30 or 10 start, now 8:30?

These are things Perisher can control and may have added to the chaos.

Reactions: fenrir and NightSky

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
I think having first tracks on FV Saturday and Sunday with no booking doesn’t help. Put it back at BC, forces more onto the tube and restricts numbers. It’s just too easy now, make them work for it!

I may be wrong but have heard they now start the Sunday WSC program early too? Used the be a 9:30 or 10 start, now 8:30?

Masters starts at 0830 (I still catch the tube up)

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Yeah that's true.
However the busiest day I've encountered was a Monday.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy

The elite level above that is 630am. Although they tend to drive the tube I believe.

I’m getting a dog shoved in the front door at 530am, a DOFO. (Lovely family and not really POFOs)

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I doubt first tracks are a contributing factor, how many people really turn up for that in the total numbers game?

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
The elite level above that is 630am. Although they tend to drive the tube I believe.

I’m getting a dog shoved in the front door at 530am, a DOFO. (Lovely family and not really POFOs)
It was always like that though. We had a couple of years of doing that. I’m talking about the Sunday devos. That‘s whole families with little kids that need to be parked by 7:30. Hard.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Why not just take it to the next extreme. If the car park is full by 8am, Perisher needs to just start spinning lifts at 7. So then people will need to arrive by 5 to ensure a car spot. Carpark will be full by 6am. If people want to pay thousands to ski like they’re working for the man then let em. The early starts, the sitting in traffic like they do everyday to the job site or office and the overall underwhelming experience they’ll have. Infact, I reckon make it easier for them and that will force them to get the car warmed up at 4am on a Saturday / Sunday morning.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Why not just take it to the next extreme. If the car park is full by 8am, Perisher needs to just start spinning lifts at 7. So then people will need to arrive by 5 to ensure a car spot. Carpark will be full by 6am. If people want to pay thousands to ski like they’re working for the man then let em. The early starts, the sitting in traffic like they do everyday to the job site or office and the overall underwhelming experience they’ll have. Infact, I reckon make it easier for them and that will force them to get the car warmed up at 4am on a Saturday / Sunday morning.
Need some front row reserved spots for sleeping in. Go the night before!

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
All the "got to get there early" chatter started during the school holidays when they first closed the parking at a out 11am.

All the snow players got upset that be little johnny and his sister couldnt ride by their toboggan. So they got up extra early on the next day. Then the skiers/boarders missed out at 10am because parking was filled with snow players.

Everyone then got on PSL and PSR and started asking when does the parking get be full. The "experts" started giving times be earlier and earlier.

So, they get up earlier and earlier to make sure they get spot.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Jindabyne is a destination now.

Oddly it was more vibrant in the 90s and 00s when it wasn't.
It's an odd vibe now, can't put my finger on it. Maybe just a different mix, maybe it's my perception has changed because I'm a resident with kids I see it differently to my days coming down with mates chasing snow storms and escaping a shitty city I did not want to be living in when Iade those trips..... nah it's changed but not sure where it's going.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
It was always like that though. We had a couple of years of doing that. I’m talking about the Sunday devos. That‘s whole families with little kids that need to be parked by 7:30. Hard.
Ah okay. This family seem surprised at 630am starts. And I meet them first year of covid and it’s was 630am dogo drop offs.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
An angle to all this early stuff that people may not have considered is the benefit that may come from it for those regular or long term patrons.
No doubt there are more than a few who are going to be put off by the experience. This is especially so for those who have been caught in the congas only to be turned around at some point and told to go to the Skitube. The Skitube is an expensive alternative for families with the added "bonus" of a late start to the days activities. These people will wonder whether the expense and effort is worthwhile and may choose to spend their time and money elsewhere. This is what happens when something is over subscribed and the bad "press" may lead to others going the same way and not subscribing to the "dream" again. This is the downside of Vails business model but they will say expendable wastage surplus to requirements.
All this may lead to less subscribers in the immediate future and numbers may normalise for a while which is good news for the long term regulars.;)

Yeah naa.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
It's an odd vibe now, can't put my finger on it. Maybe just a different mix, maybe it's my perception has changed because I'm a resident with kids I see it differently to my days coming down with mates chasing snow storms and escaping a shitty city I did not want to be living in when Iade those trips..... nah it's changed but not sure where it's going.

Suburban

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I have been on mountain every day this season. It affords opportunity to observe “stuff”.

When I left the resort mid morning cars were parked down the road. Traffic control at Smiggs, vehicles parked as far as Prussian Ck and folks being turned back at Jindy.

Thats the 2022 BAU model (crowds, traffic congestion and parking challenges). In that respect, I ain’t telling anyone something new. It’s commented on by one or more of us here, every week.

Along with points others have made, such as first tracks etc, I still maintain that Selwyns failure to open this season is a contributor to the 2022 model.

On the drive out from PV, the speed limit is 40 kph. You could not do that today - nothing wrong with driving out slow because:

There’s folks trudging in family groups, sometimes 4 abreast, consuming the entire outward lane. Totally oblivious to the fact it’s a road. So there’s a lot of cautious driving to ensure the safety of others. So you see “stuff”.

Point being….. you can see how many folks are not carting boards, skis etc. Accepting that some - (but not all) are likely going up to hire. Toboggan’s walking boots and beanies are the order of the day.

Lots of little kids with parents, like a mini army, heading towards the resort or toboggan area etc. Sightseeing, snowplay and or just having that snow resort experience is a factor. All good :thumbs:

Hence my comment re Selwyn…. that’s over 500 parking spaces (plus 10 buses) that the 2 key resorts need to cater for this year.

The industry needs Selwyn up and running. IMO.

Wots wrong with beanies ?

• Haha
Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using