Snow Report Perisher 2022 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
@Telemark Phat is the resident marsupial expert.

C09E8F57-83A7-453E-9473-EF9624C2B53E.jpeg

8AFCEAE7-2D0F-4D52-BBB1-8EFDBB398172.jpeg

A2E42EEF-6A24-4279-82E3-4F60D485EDA3.jpeg

Rat or native ?
The tail looks longer than the body. As a rule that means it's not a native.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Okay a lot was said about the road this morning - so let me furnace you guys with some facts.

At around 7:20 this morning a Perisher vehicle going way too fast down the hill (towards Jindy) lost control over snow slush and went straight into the ditch in front of me. Driver blamed it on black ice, it was the slush that did it IMO it's thick and doesn't tread out easily like water.

The delays this morning were caused by a group of about five cars that had lost control and were unable to move. I confirmed this with Jindy Towing who got them all out of that situation. FIVE CARS. This was not an isolated incident, it was due to poor conditions of the road, and probably exacerbated by poor tyre conditions. There was no accident, they were just on the road in everyone's way. I've gone through the car park this season a few times to inspect: bald, bald, bald, bald, bald, bald ... rinse and repeat. Part of the problem is that the consequence for not carrying chains is a $320 fine, but there's no consequence for driving up on bald tyres. Well, no middle-consequence that is, you either get away with it or it causes a huge problem. Would be nice if either police or parks would inspect tyres and fine drivers who drove up with bald tyres.

I diverted to Guthega, but the 5-car bank caused the trip from Jindabyne to Perisher to take a whopping 1hr 45 minutes today for those who made it all the way to Perisher and were leaving Jindy around 7AM.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Okay a lot was said about the road this morning - so let me furnace you guys with some facts.

At around 7:20 this morning a Perisher vehicle going way too fast down the hill (towards Jindy) lost control over snow slush and went straight into the ditch in front of me. Driver blamed it on black ice, it was the slush that did it IMO it's thick and doesn't tread out easily like water.

The delays this morning were caused by a group of about five cars that had lost control and were unable to move. I confirmed this with Jindy Towing who got them all out of that situation. FIVE CARS. This was not an isolated incident, it was due to poor conditions of the road, and probably exacerbated by poor tyre conditions. There was no accident, they were just on the road in everyone's way. I've gone through the car park this season a few times to inspect: bald, bald, bald, bald, bald, bald ... rinse and repeat. Part of the problem is that the consequence for not carrying chains is a $320 fine, but there's no consequence for driving up on bald tyres. Well, no middle-consequence that is, you either get away with it or it causes a huge problem. Would be nice if either police or parks would inspect tyres and fine drivers who drove up with bald tyres.

I diverted to Guthega, but the 5-car bank caused the trip from Jindabyne to Perisher to take a whopping 1hr 45 minutes today for those who made it all the way to Perisher and were leaving Jindy around 7AM.
So it was all your fault. Now we know who to blame.

• Haha
Reactions: Marty McSly
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Who are you again ? Me thinks we may have a PSL spy in our midst. :D
I wouldn't say " many" ,more like a few take such photos.
To be honest I wouldn't care if the carpark was full by 7.30am so long as ...
1. All the drivers were competent and experienced in the conditions
2. Used that competence and experience to drive to conditions
3. Drove vehicles set up correctly and with appropriate equipment for conditions that may be encountered.

It is my opinion and experience that the vast majority do not possess all 3 and many possess none of these attributes and vehicles.
I know I have the necessary level of competence and experience to have the knowledge of how to drive to conditions in a vehicle that is correctly set up to handle even the worst of conditions I may encounter. I can easily think of a few others that can boast the same level of expertise and equipment.
The vast majority cannot and really may be a danger to themselves or others travelling in this part of Australia at that time day.
This is one of the reasons I started driving early, I didn't want to end up in a conga line of incompetence. Now the conga line has come to me and without chain bays and a plowed road to curb the worst of it things are even more terrifying.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

A tyre checking station will fix the traffic

• Haha
Reactions: Fozzie Bear

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010

Can confirm the 5 cars plus an extra straggler about 30m further back because I passed the ****s just before they closed the road. None of them looked to be 4wd, none of them had chains and I can't be sure but they all looked to be on summer tyres. Pretty sure they got in that state because traffic slowed to the point where they no longer had traction, and any further application of the accelerator led to them moving sideways rather than forward.

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
:wave:Mojo here after 14 years of loyalty is very low. Day trips from Canberra no longer a safe option if it means leaving at 4am. Accomodation totally unaffordable and camp grounds overcrowded. After a week in NZ where access is organised and affordable and you’re actually treated like you matter, Aus season passes can GAGF.

I’m done. Some backcountry will hopefully continue (if I can find parking) but resort skiing for me in Aus in future seasons is over.
Pity you can't stay on the hill in NZ, what is that ?
This thread has jumped the shark.

Many people on this thread are also posting practically pre dawn shots at Perisher.

All sounds a bit do what I say not what I do to me.

Perisher needs to fix you all by charging for parking. That will see the crowds thin out you cheap bastards.
then us 'stay on the hill ' types win
Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just drive your rig out there. They’ll stop.
east as !!always a 50 m gap when I came through

MattyHoll

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Gym.?
Mate I've had a guy rock up in Byron to pickup a 15k chair.
Looked like a young Justin hemmes.
Smelt. Bad.
Wearing kmart style ripped clothes and barefoot.

Lucky the chair fit in his gle63 amg Mercedes.

Jindabyne has a bit to get to Byron
Yeah well, Byron has changed to. The type of people Byron attracts now isn’t what it was 20 years ago.

Reactions: Statusdenied
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skinik

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2010
Darug & Gadigal Country
Haven't been up for 2 years, but looking fwd to trip combining both sides of the hill. Bit scared reading the road reports now...PS I thought Bega was the new Byron?Although who am I to post; I also own skinny skis & a 'granola' beanie...

Reactions: Val Desire

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
This morning was DOTS for me, awesome freshies around Eyre and Inter all morning and no one around.
As for the traffic I think it’s just people working out that people go early and a roll on effect from there. I don’t think forums like this has anything to do with it, very few people providing 90% of the content on here. Most of my friends and family are skiers but no one would know about these forums or any FB pages.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
This morning was DOTS for me, awesome freshies around Eyre and Inter all morning and no one around.
As for the traffic I think it’s just people working out that people go early and a roll on effect from there. I don’t think forums like this has anything to do with it, very few people providing 90% of the content on here. Most of my friends and family are skiers but no one would know about these forums or any FB pages.
Nah FB pages are absolutely a thing. PSL has 19,000 members.
Forums. Not even one bit

Reactions: Marty McSly

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Can confirm the 5 cars plus an extra straggler about 30m further back because I passed the ****s just before they closed the road. None of them looked to be 4wd, none of them had chains and I can't be sure but they all looked to be on summer tyres. Pretty sure they got in that state because traffic slowed to the point where they no longer had traction, and any further application of the accelerator led to them moving sideways rather than forward.

Thanks for the confirmation and the details of their vehicles, I did actually speak to some people who drove around them as well but I didn't probe the vehicle details.

The 2WDs must have gone through Wilson's before it was manned. This is the problem with telling people to drive up ultra early - NPWS will put up the "fit chains now sings" and the 40kmph etc, but they won't have any staff to manage it until around 6:30 or whenever it is.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
The 2WDs must have gone through Wilson's before it was manned. This is the problem with telling people to drive up ultra early - NPWS will put up the "fit chains now sings" and the 40kmph etc, but they won't have any staff to manage it until around 6:30 or whenever it is.
Stadelman should close the road at the Shell at 5am. Turn everyone back until the snow ploughing's done and chain bays are set up.

2 big advantages:
  • Makes the staff use the tube
  • Fucks up the happy clapper's sycophants

Reactions: Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
They can't because #1 there are night workers, and #2 park access is not exclusively for the resort.
But the park are the ones making the decision to close the road. And park ‘own’ the car park. And technically you aren’t allowed to park before 7am. Exceptions can be made for shift works (just exclude journalists!)

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Drive up was terrible. Was proud of my family for getting to thredbo river by 7:50. I know that's pretty late, but record time for us. Just no movement for long stretches. Kept fearing turnback like what happened a couple of years ago to us. Took us two hours from there before we were directed to park on alpine way outside of smiggin. We were gonna stop there but I scouted out a few parks in the carpark and moved us. My kids are rubbish at hauling skis.

Was pretty worn down by all that traffic nonsense so we had lunch at 10 before heading off.

I finally reached my goal of Eyre at 11. It was really good out there. Feels open and large and quiet. Snow was choppy but soft and pretty fresh too. Nice compared to the usual hard ice or slush that is more common in my experience. with low visibility it was satisfaction just navigating the tricky snow and greatly enjoyed the variety of runs possible in the area. Many surprise drops and bumps with such poor visibility but then also surprise of real soft smooth snow between the trees as well.

Just feels like another resort out there and is probably what distinguishes perisher from the other aus resorts. Little Eyre cafe feels like it should have been demolished for some blarry overpriced thing, but just nice low-key place. After silly mistake of not thinking of other ways to get to Eyre with perisher chairs on hold yesterday, I stuffed up today with only $5 on me and forgot the cash only thing of Eyre cafe, so my talk of carrot cake and hot cider to my daughter was disappointed. But they gave us a discount on hot chips and I remembered the muesli bars I pocketed earlier and we had a nice break. We did international and towers but were basically on Eyre for the rest of the day and it was worth all the hassle. Nice run back to smiggin via vista as well.

There's a lot of talk on carparks and the drive etc. It definitely feels like a problem. We haven't done peak season skiing at major resorts despite 5 years of skiing (started at Selwyn, then sept ski trips, then covid year crowds) so it was a whole other thing and not very enjoyable. Not wanting to complain, as once out at Eyre it all made sense again, but the way it currently goes doesn't seem to be working well for anyone. I don't have a solution, but I'm not so keen on the experience. We had our Dalgety place booked to tomorrow but are back in Sydney tonight so the girls can play their last game of soccer for the season tomorrow. We would have skipped it but rest of family doesn't have same yearning for the snow like I do, so all the hassle just feels burdensome and wouldn't want to put them through another long drive like that again.

Skitube is probably what we'll do next season. I don't really see how people could go today as first skiing experience and want to come back. I'm very grateful that my family and I fluked choosing Selwyn to learn to ski (mainly because I'm cheap) because all the other resorts feel too busy and stressful to learners.

I get the frustration with everybody getting there earlier and earlier, but it seems legitimately like the only way to get there on time these days, so while frustrating, it probably makes sense. Leave it late and you can easily end up in a mess. Feel silly whining about a ski holiday. We got it good in aus, hey?

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Great night meeting some lovely people at the pizza oven. A gay, football loving couple, Lebanese and Egyptian blokes with their Serbian and South American +1’s. The best of Australia, sharing the common bonds of love for this country and skiing.

Dead set won't be an early start in the morning. I'll sleep in to avoid the happy clapping traffic jam and the hammering in my head and do a few turns in the arvo.

Best wishes to you early risers!

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
They can't because #1 there are night workers, and #2 park access is not exclusively for the resort.
1 as a shift worker, I can tell you that night shifts usually start between 11pm and 12am. Unless it's a 4 panel or lifestyle roster of shifts between 10.5 and 12.67 hours, in which case the shift starts between 6 and 7pm.

2 anyone with a valid reason to access the park between 5am and 6.30am can be given a card by their employer. No card, no access, no problem.

I know your default position is to be negative or argumentative, but you're going to have to try harder with me, old mate

Reactions: Ozgirl

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Man your eyes must be good, those little mountain snowflake icons are way too small for me to see on a drive by ROFL

1659793293218.png
Yeah it's not always obvious which is why I qualified it. Most of the tyres I see on capable 4wd vehicles have a certain look to them.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Getting ready to head up the hill. My girlfriend is dragging her heels so we will probably end up at the back of the carpark or on the road.
When did shit become so consistently angst inspiring outside Queens Birthday long weekend and school holidays?

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Drive up ok this morning with a steady stream of cars from Jindy. Chains required from Wilsons. Road has a “shine” to it. Locked in comfortably 4 rows back.

More importantly - mountain looks clear with some fresh snow. No significant breeze and currently minus 4.

Looks very decent :thumbs:

image.jpg

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri

And all the bald tyres are on "new" cars, as they don't need a mechanic to tell them they need new tyres for rego for the first 5 years.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Drive up ok this morning with a steady stream of cars from Jindy. Chains required from Wilsons. Road has a “shine” to it. Locked in comfortably 4 rows back.

More importantly - mountain looks clear with some fresh snow. No significant breeze and currently minus 4.

image.jpg
Funny how you were always the front row, and now you are relegated out of the scrum and playing on the wing LOL

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

image.jpg

Concur with this parked right next to you..... OH apart from the numpty in the white Ute who overtook as many people as he could to end up directly in front of me in the next row fwd

PXL_20220806_210306479.jpg
PXL_20220806_205408109.jpg
PXL_20220806_202820109.MP.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using