Snow Report Perisher 2022 Plans, Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Can you provide more details? On google maps it looks like a summer cross country walk and not possible on ski’s.
Nope… You won’t manage it in Summer. Up to Mt Piper is easy enough. Here’s a pic from up there taken Summer just gone. Great views off the plateau. But heath and mint bush to tackle in most directions. Plus the creek.

Lots of options from Piper in various directions on skis when there’s adequate cover. Creek crossing to consider.

1655713091258.jpeg

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
Nope… You won’t manage it in Summer. Up to Mt Piper is easy enough. Here’s a pic from up there taken Summer just gone. Great views off the plateau. But heath and mint bush to tackle in most directions. Plus the creek.

Lots of options from Piper in various directions on skis when there’s adequate cover. Creek crossing to consider.

1655713091258.jpeg
Nice pic

Looks like a bridge across the creek near interceptor. Have you ever skied from top of Piper to Interceptor?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lachlan skellet

One of Us
Aug 13, 2021
pymble NSW
Looked very very quiet up there today on the mountain no lifts that I’m hearing which means exploring the mountain and vertical meters.

Today’s dashboard results are old mate @Red Bill in 1st in 2nd troub1efree good mate @robbo mcs in 3rd @Retro2 in 5th and the legend @Normo in 7th

All round good day on the mountains hope to catch up for a ride with you guys @robbo mcs @Red Bill @Retro2 @Normo :emoji_call_me:

9B65C01D-15EA-42DA-A1AB-200EF1061AC9.png

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Very quiet today, didn't see a queue all say, and skiied Perisher, Guthega and the Cow. Ski straight on at freedom and ridge, which doesn't happen often.

Got given a "suggestion" by someone I know in mountain ops this morning, that it might be a good idea to head straight to Eyre, as currently 5 groomers were working on it. Followed the advice, and it was very nice for the first 45mins or so :thumbs:

Headed to Guthega and then Blue Cow, both of which have excellent coverage and skiied well. Did some runs down outer limits with @Red Bill , including right down the lower outer narrow track, and coverage was good, amazing for mid June

The amount of grooving from rain run off on the off piste is quite remarkable, I don't think I have ever seen it quite as widespread or pronounced. Kind of intriguing to look at, as it basically maps out the fall line. However, when you ski on it is is disconcerting, crossways is thumpity, thumpity as you traverse the grooves, and downhill sometimes one ski kind of gets caught in the groove.

A couple of pics of the grooving on the range, from Guthega

2641AABA-2B61-4C4D-AAF6-A4074F4E05CA.jpeg
020886F4-0362-434F-BC00-65011B83C0D3.jpeg
Those photos are truly strange. It looks like it's been ploughed the wrong way.

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
A very pleasant easy day , got to ride a skidoo up telemark , which was fun. Where can we set up a ski doo park !

Had a bit of a go on Ridge today now that my legs are happy again .

Best I saw this trip was a chap with a back pack with a L plate on the back.

Might make Freedom tomorrow ..

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Quick question - has anyone here tried the summit quad chair then walked up over the back and then linked up with Parachute?
It was good about 10 years ago. The bushfire regrowth has cut most of the lines off. There are still two lines straight down to the Guthega road. The walk to Guthega only takes about 20 min.

I'd be surprised if you made it to the road now. Best to drive up the road before guessing what you'll face on the way down.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Yep. I’ve ridden that track multiple times. Scare myself every time. And probably only doing a fraction of the speed that competent athletes do it at. Reminds me why “when asked” about ability its always going to get a reply of intermediate. When you see competent 12 year old kids ski that track (and elsewhere) - quickly reminds me of where competence really sits…. LOL :thumbs:

A family friend represented Australia at 3 Winter Olympics - including skiercross. Have skied with her in Austria. No hope of keeping up…. More reality.

But when nobody’s on that track in Sun Valley it is good fun.
A lass with a hyphenated sir name?

Reactions: Me+3

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Take care in there. Noting responses from @Donza and @dawooduck….

I’ve done it and you can easily find yourself caught up in thick bunched up hazards. Eventually you might drag yourself out down near where the return off Parachute leads to the chair. Unless your just going over the top and onto the track. Walked that this Summer a few times.

Not recommended IMO. Donza made the point re snow….
This is a pic of the exit to the Guthega road last time I skied to the road from Summit chair. Part skiing, part climbing down a tree.

signal-2018-09-16-122357.jpg

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Really helpful comment - cheers. I did it a few times many years ago I couldn’t remember how much snow there was. We also took the parachute exit right and came out a couple hundred metres from the carpark.

All against the rules I know so I won’t be doing it again anytime soon.
Its your national park, you can travel where you care.

Lachlan skellet

One of Us
Aug 13, 2021
pymble NSW
Does anyone know when the last time double trouble or devils playground was open because I’ve only been on devils playground once and it can be very sketchy

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Does anyone know when the last time double trouble or devils playground was open because I’ve only been on devils playground once and it can be very sketchy
Last time I skied Devils it was first tracks in thigh deep blower. I still can't believe it was as good as it was. Easily one of the best runs I've had in Australia.

All the other times.....

Reactions: Lachlan skellet

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
It was good about 10 years ago. The bushfire regrowth has cut most of the lines off. There are still two lines straight down to the Guthega road. The walk to Guthega only takes about 20 min.

I'd be surprised if you made it to the road now. Best to drive up the road before guessing what you'll face on the way down.
I’m too old to be that adventurous- I’ll stick to the groomed runs :ski:

Reactions: GlendaN

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
A lass with a hyphenated sir name?
No….Jenny Owens. Shes a fine skier.

I’ve known her dad since 1976 when we were stationed together at City of Sydney Fire Station. He lives on a farm not that far from mine.

Her sister is a very good skier as well. They both came up through the juniors - part of Southern Alps Ski Club of which I’m a member. Has produced / supported several Olympic skiers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TechnoSki

Early Days
Feb 18, 2022
Great spot and awesome to lap that without crowds. With a bit more snow, I hope they build the course this year. They probably have too with Interschools nationals being at Perisher this year.

We lapped Blue Cow all weekend with minimal crowds. It was hard and fast till lunch and softened in the afternoons. Saw someone with a broken collar bone at 8.30am Sunday on Rollercoaster.

The resort looks amazing with everything interlinked, hope they get a little freshen up this week.
Yesterday (Monday) the surface generally was hard, fast and in places rutted. Skiing too fast I took a tumble and have a few bruises to show for the effort. Shoulder in particular. No real harm done but a reminder of how hard and unforgiving the surface is presently. Skiing straight onto lifts all day was however a real bonus.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Yesterday (Monday) the surface generally was hard, fast and in places rutted. Skiing too fast I took a tumble and have a few bruises to show for the effort. Shoulder in particular. No real harm done but a reminder of how hard and unforgiving the surface is presently. Skiing straight onto lifts all day was however a real bonus.
I took the opportunity to use the weekends conditions to work on my technique. Lots of slow, controlled turning. I have an old injury which tells me very quickly when my technique isn’t up to scratch, add in conditions that were somewhat unforgiving and on Saturday I ended the day with a very sore knee. Sunday was a much better outcome.

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
No….Jenny Owens. Shes a fine skier.

I’ve known her dad since 1976 when we were stationed together at City of Sydney Fire Station. He lives on a farm not that far from mine.

Her sister is a very good skier as well. They both came up through the juniors - part of Southern Alps Ski Club of which I’m a member. Has produced / supported several Olympic skiers.
@SMSkier How long did you work at #1 station for ? Got several mates who have done stints there.

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
I’m not too worried by all this clear snow.

Bass is massive and well established. We will get a top up soon enough of snow.

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015

Bass is massive and well established. We will get a top up soon enough of

Bass is massive and well established. We will get a top up soon enough of snow.
honestly , we need more snow , only 2 chances before July .. snowing good at Smiggs now @Normo @robbo mcs away you go !!! Leichhardt here they come

Jonkl

Addicted
Sep 16, 2019
Brisbane
Snowfall being attempted at this time
On and off , seems r turning to snow as temp drops off , might get a bit , of snow
I think VIC Alps are seeing snow fall now.
Just need the temp to drop at perisher I guess...
Can't wait to see some action finally...arriving today for 10 days

Reactions: GlendaN
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass