1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher Blue in a Day

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by TB, Jul 4, 2007.

1. TB

TB First Runs

Taking a vic friend for a day at Perisher and I remember a great post last year about how to get the best out of Perisher in a day but I can't find it. Im a pretty permanent Thredbo fixture these days so Im out of touch with Perisher but I once knew it well.

We can all ski anywhere and are too lazy for anything but extremely short hikes.

Whats the ultimate Perisher see it all experience.

2. Rastan

Rastan Hard Yards

I'll give it a shot.

Depends where you want to start. If you want to show off the size of the place, you may want to go to places where you would usually not go if you're a seasoned visitor.

To keep it brief as much as I can, [​IMG]

Start at Smiggins,

Just cause for the size show off factor. Warm up on 'Burke and Wills', nice groom run first thing in the morning. Even pop over to 'Hume T-Bar' if you like. Point out the access to the Ridge in Blue Cow (Which is usually closed).
    Then hit up the 'Link T-Bar', down 'Piper's' To 'Telemark T-Bar' to 'Front Valley' (FV).

Perisher FV,

Have a shot on the 'Village 8', just to show your mate what a 8 Seater looks like. Have a blast down FV anyway and back up again.
    Now its down to the Quad Express and take it to Mid Station.

Center Valley,

Now we can do two things, if you and your mate like Terrain parks, you can hit this one up. Usually around 'Leichhardt T-Bar', if not you can still head down between 'Lawson and Leichhardt T-bars' or the skiers right of 'Leichhardt' and back up.
    Otherwise skip all this and head down past 'Happy Valley T-Bar' and head to the base of Mt P.

Mt P,

Take the 'Double Chair' for some old school Chairlift action, just remind your mate. That this one goes faster. Then do a run down 'Towers' (Directly below the 2 chairs) and then back up.
    Now its down 'Towers' again, but half way down a small groomed section that leads down to 'International T-Bar'.
    Back up 'International' and then down 'Eyre' and back up the T-Bar.
    I would spend a couple of runs here exploring the mountain a little, pop out to 'Come Back Again' and admire the view.
    Once done, head towards 'Sun Valley Bowl' and if 'Olympic' is open, take a ride.
    Anyway, we are now heading to 'Happy Valley T-Bar'.

Perisher to Blue Cow,

Once on the top of 'Happy Valley', we can attack this differently. I will just run with the one option.
    Skate across a little and head towards 'Pretty Valley Chair', scoot down there towards the base, ski pass the chair and head towards 'Interceptor Chair' and take that up.
    You could spend a little time here, even pop over to 'Nth P T-Bar' if its open. But you can safely skip it and then ski down towards 'Pleasant Valley'.

Blue Cow,

Now we can start a little circuit (All depends on lift / run status). Head down 'Pleasant Valley' and skip past the Chair and 'Brumby's T-Bar' and head on down the 'Roller Coaster' to the base of the 'Ridge' Chair. Up the 'Ridge', then down 'Zalis'. Up the 'Terminal Chair'. Down 'Pleasant Valley', rinse and repeat.
    Otherwise, up the 'Ridge', down 'Excelerator', back up explore 'Outer Limits' or 'Rock Garden' or hit the Terrain park between 'Racecourse' and 'Side Saddle', you can't miss it.
    Back up and down 'Zalis' or 'Side Saddle' ('Kamikaze' if you want to show your Vic mate Perisher's Double diamond.)
    Up the 'Terminal Chair', down 'Early Starter' to make our way to Guthega traverse.

Guthega,

Keep to the Middle traverse as we want some speed, go pass 'Cow Pastures' and scoot down to 'Blue Calf T-bar'.
    Break for food if you haven't already at the 'Burning Log' it will be late in the arvo by now anyway.
    Up 'Blue Calf t-bar', up 'Blue Cow T-bar'. Pick and choose your guthega options. 'Bloody Mary', 'Woodpecker' or better yet 'Parachute' if its open (Top run, pity about the aspect of the run). On the southern facing side of 'Blue Cow T-Bar'. 'The Screw', 'Mother-in-law' or 'Fun Run'. If time permits, explore a little.

Homeward bound,

With that, its time to make your way back. From the top of 'Blue Cow T-Bar' traverse back to Blue Cow and down to the 'Terminal Chair'. Down 'Pleasant Valley' to the chair and back up and across to the 'Perisher Home Trail'. Can head on down 'Pretty Valley' I think its called Copperhead.
    Can skip 'Pretty Valley Chair' and skate towards the base of 'Telemark T-Bar', back up 'Piper T-Bar' and back around to Smiggs. You may have to bus it, if the link is closed back to Smiggs too.

You might find you have more time at different places so just play your cards when you see them. I didn't take into account any inbound front country like 'Devils Playground' or 'Double Trouble'.
    I normally skip the whole Smigg thing and end up back at Mt P in the arvo before last lifts.
    It's not everything, but gives you a good overview of the place.

#2 Rastan, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. TB

TB First Runs

Thanks for the start Rastan but we are not wasting first tracks at Smigg or front valley. My perfect day would see me heading to Mt P or the Ridge area pretty quickly, we'll hit the short runs when we're tired. But I like the synopsis, how would you rejig it.

4. Rastan

Rastan Hard Yards

Ah nice, yeah I never ever waste my time with Smiggs. It was just the whole show kind of thing.

To get to Mt P, I usually skip the whole FV. It requires a little traversing tho. This is due to the 'Crowd factor'. 'Lawson T-bar' is your goal here and then a little traversing at the top. By this time, you think all you're doing is traversing. But our aim is 'Sun Valley T-bar'. This will give us the quickest access to Mt P. From here its 'pick your destiny'.

As for hitting the Ridge asap, all depends if you Tube it to the Cow or start from Perisher.
    From Perisher its up the Quad express and across the link run between 'Back Perisher' and down 'Pleasant Valley' / 'Roller Coaster' to the 'Ridge'.

#4 Rastan, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I tend to hop off the tube at BC and go straight to Guthega, the traverse warms the legs. I hang around there in the trees until the crowds turn up (10 - 10:30) then head to BC - Summit and the Ridge. Depends on my mood as to where I go from there.

6. SnoWhite

SnoWhite One of Us

My favourite thing to do is go from Front Valley to The Interceptor when it opens at 9.00am. A couple of runs there before heading down into Pleasant Valley, take the Brumby T then head down that run, which links up with Rollercoaster. Do some runs on the ridge and then head via Zali's and the Terminal Quad to the Blue Cow Terminal if you require a pit stop. From there it's over to Guthega with a stop at the Guthega Pub for lunch. From there, head back over to Mt Perisher and Centre Valley to round off the day.

7. SpeedyPB

SpeedyPB Hard Yards

I like getting first tracks on Interceptor so I start at Smiggins, warm up run on the Burke T-bar and then go up the link t-bar and then cut skiers right going down the Pipers t-bar and there's a cat track that takes you to the Interceptor chair.

8. hoppy

hoppy Hard Yards

Hi TB, I tend to prefer the terrain, long runs and lifts at Thredbo but usually find the snow quality at Perisher a bit more reliable.
    So, in an attempt to ski something steep I start at Smigs (easy parking, no ticket queues - but don't tell anyone), straight up Link and over to Inteceptor - never usually up early enough to do any warming up before it opens at 9am. A few runs to skiers left of the lift - short but usually very nice early. Some good runs at North Perisher when it is open - a bit rare lately.
    Then over the hill for a quick cruise down roller coaster to Ridge chair. At the top head left to Kamtikaze (steep), then Yarandoo (bumps) back to Ridge chair. A few laps of this is fun.
    Usually leave Guthega alone - nice snow but long queues - but good for an early lunch if you can be bothered with the long traverse.
    So ski down Zalis then head back over the hill to Olympic - slowest lift on the planet but good steep bumpy skiing (when it is open).
    A few laps and over to Eyre - nice near the Tee and way out wide (skiers right).
    Then back to Mt P and ski Towers a bit, especially the area between International and the Mt P double - usually holds up really well late in the day.
    All nice runs but slow lifts so remember to head back to Smigs in time for last lift up Piper.
    Have fun

9. TB

TB First Runs

Thanks hoppy-what Im looking for. I agree re the snow thing about Perisher-sort of-High noon was carp last WE which is why I avoid it, dream Run was the usual bad dream but...when its good, blah,blah. (ps SuperT, surrounds and boundary was VG)

Back to PB..... I get up early these days-first on the mountain sort of stuff. Interesting that noone wants to hit Mt P first-any reason why not??

10. melis

melis First Runs

tb, re your question about not hitting mt p first. i think you need to read your original post. you say you are too lazy for long hikes, and you want the "ultimate perisher see it all experience". everyone who has replied have provided an excellent itinerary for you and your mexican mate that addresses your original question. by all means, lob up to perisher car park and park miles away from the lifts, head straight up to mt p and ski there all day. yeah you might get great snow and impress your friend with the black diamond runs, but are you really seeing all that perisher has to offer? take the good advice about starting at smigs. some of the runs and views off the link bar are spectacular first up. the run home that way is easy for spaghetti legs and shows you a breathtaking view of the road in. good luck, have fun.

11. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

Far out - everyone stop saying 'start at smiggins' - we all know the best thing to do is to get the tube and hit Front Valley for at least a good couple of hours in the morning!

(edit - spelling)

12. FatBob

FatBob Hard Yards

A couple of Hours on Front Valley, no thanks

I would rather start at Smiggs.

IMOP the suggestion of 1 warm up run then first tracks on Interceptor is a good one.

Else try for first tracks on Mount P. Quad Chair then traverse down to the Double chair (or is it the triple)

These two options allow you to make a call on the day depending on weather conditions. Sometimes Mt P can suck if the weather is coming in from that direction.

13. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    Just head over to Mount Perisher first if you want, but I would get off the top of the Quad then ski down to base of Mt P for a warm up....mid station is yuk. They are only blue runs so get in there and get the early good conditions....don't poach mine though....that way, your buddies will get a lasting first impression and a taste of some of PBs best. Alternatively, head over to Guthega early for some nice runs, then head back over to Mt P...Guthega early can be sweet and you get a real good view etc of the main range and makes for a sure purdy sight...impression.

14. Oyster

Oyster First Runs

Fatbob, I suggest that cwpski is correct.

Everyone (else) go to front valley for a couple of hours!!! [​IMG]

#14 Oyster, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  15. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

Exactly - and if you are bored with Front Valley after a few hours I don't think you will like the rest of PB. Better head to Thredbo.

#15 cwpski, Jul 6, 2007
  16. freddy

freddy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

yep, either that or smigs for the day, that is a nice outing.

--

#16 freddy, Jul 6, 2007
  17. hoppy

hoppy Hard Yards

I want to go - NOW! and try my own suggestions. Just had a look at the cams - best snow I have seen down there for years. Was at Therdbo last w/end and it was a bit thin up top and heavy down low - should be great now.
    No particular reason not to ski Mt P first, just the bother of having to get there early through the PB car park and ticket office (note to self: buy tickets in Jindy on the way through). Sun Valley (under Olympic) is anothet good area early - some good terrain and usually only occupied by serious skiers early on