1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher Chatter 2015 (Trip Plans, Thoughts, Reviews)

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Marty_McSly, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

Here it is opening day and no thread for plans/stoke/general chatter? OK I'll bite.

So we don't clutter up the trip reports thread, here is a chatter thread for plans and general chat.

For starters, I bet Front Valley doesn't look like this come 5pm today:

[​IMG]

2. Marty_McSly

My trip this year will be a bit later than usual. The scout trip is booked for 21/22/23 Aug instead of the first weekend, so I hope the hair dryer stays unplugged!

Have booked in for 6 days from Saturday 15th at the Discovery caravan park near the Alpine Way intersection to round out the trip. Thought I'd try skipping the town traffic this year.

Also might have an opportunity for a quick midweek trip in either the week before the (NSW) June school holidays or mid-July. Depends on weather & snow cover. Hopefully the June one is a goer because it's a longer stay and cheaper than mid-July.

3. Me+3

Me+3 Hard Yards

booked in for annual extra long weekend (4 days skiing) 2nd week in Aug. loving this cold weather.
    2 nights @ LJH & 2 nights @ Guthega.
    perisher have done pretty well to shape up some terrain park for opening weekend.
    if the weather stays cold... I can't see if taking too long for blue cow to open up early starter & terminal quad... and soon enough zali's.

4. RayC

RayC A Local

So far going 21-26 June and 19-24 July. May extend July trip or go again in August.

5. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

Don't have the money to go this year unfortunately. However I do have an entry in the Ski Rider promo competition this year. My name might be lucky enough to come out of the hat :)

6. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Mid July. Fingers crossed I can bag week of the season two years running.

JoeKing likes this.
  7. timonearth

timonearth Hard Yards

I'll be ready anytime from second week of July. Will try to get up just before a dump and hopefully last 4+ weeks. Been living in the caravan since April 13th going around Australia so getting very used to the space. Look forward to riding with some of you this year. :)

8. torks

torks Hard Yards

Silly question time...
    I've got my freedom pass for this year but I can't remember if I got the Ski Tube add on. I've had a look around my account at the shop but I can't see my purchase history anywhere. Is there anywhere that I can see if I have got the ski tube or do I need to call Perisher?

Cheers

9. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Check your c/c statement skitube cost an extra $50?
    Freedom Pass cost $699
    Including skitube was about $749

10. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Ok, I have done so. Below is my email conversation with Perisher. Those who paid $799 last year, should be getting $50 credit (Perisher Money) on their pass:

Hi there,
    I do have one more question :) I've noticed I paid $199 deposit towards the season pass in September, and then was charged additional $600 in May, which makes $799. I believe the season pass is $699, incl Ski Tube $749, so the numbers don't make sense.
    ---------------
    Hi Sara,
    Regarding the price of the season pass, I can see you purchased your Freedom Pass online last year on the 26th of September. This was after the second price rise for the Freedom Passes. Had you purchased your price prior to August 26th you would have been eligible for the cheapest rate. Unfortunately because you waited to but your pass it was slightly more expensive as the initial offer had expired. This would have been outlined online for you at the point of purchase.
    -------------------

Thank you for your info and quick response. Alternatively, I could've waited for this year release rather than purchasing last year in September, and could have saved $100. Nothing to be done now. Lets hope it snows more!
    All the best,

Hi Sara,
    The Freedom Pass that was released again this year was $749, so you would have made a $50 saving. We did not know last year that Vail would be purchasing the resort and that we would be re-releasing the Season Passes.
    For customers such as yourself who have fallen in to this grey area we have loaded $50 of Perisher Money on to your Pass for you to use on the mountain at any of Perisher's outlets. More information regarding Perisher Money can be found online here: http://www.perisher.com.au/tickets-passes/prices/perisher-money
    You should have received an email from Perisher advising that your card had been loaded with $50 Perisher Money about a week ago.
    ---------------------

Check you passes!

Marty_McSly likes this.
  11. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Sara's shout at the MiniSIC :)

12. sara777

Ha ha, my dinner and your beer :cheers:

13. Marty_McSly

All sorted for next week. Booked Monday to Friday nights at The Station. Got my daughter's Freedom Flexi. She's found some groupons for ski hire.

Just hope there's still snow on the ground...

See you next week @Normo

Normo, DidSurfNowSki and Astro66 like this.
  14. Marty_McSly

Next week starting to look good for snowfall. Much optimism in the weather prediction thread for early-mid next week. The interschools could be a hassle though. Not a lot of area to have a racecourse roped off.

Hopefully there are enough staff on hand to get grooming happening quickly. If a certain prediction of upwards of 70cm is borne out there should be terrain opening from Wednesday on.

15. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

So whose heading down next weekend 11/12th

@sara777 you in?

16. sara777

Maybe (work & personal circumstances dependent), and maybe the 31st after miniSIC, and then hopefully 15-16 August, and then again miniSIC :) see how it all pans out, as we talked today :cheers:

Ozgirl likes this.
  17. DidSurfNowSki

11th for a day trip.

Ozgirl likes this.
  18. ryan_

ryan_ Addicted

Heading down for mid week escape 13-17th.. leaving 38 week pregnant wife in Sydney.. leave pass has been signed

skifree likes this.
  19. Ozgirl

Wow!

She is awesome....

sara777 likes this.
  20. ryan_

ryan_ Addicted

Totally! I guess I should leave my phone turned on tho just in case..

Ozgirl likes this.
  21. Ozgirl

Hopefully when she moves to weekly appt you will have more of an idea of if she is going to go early or not!

She is very cool and you are lucky - I would like to think I would be the same BUT maybe not from 35 weeks on!

22. ryan_

ryan_ Addicted

CS booked in.. First one was bang on schedule and hopefully number 2 can hang in there too! Fingers crossed. and legs.

Ozgirl likes this.
  23. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Need some advice please..daughter has lost freedom card and is going skiing tomorrow. What forms of ID will she need to take with her and will she be able to sort this out at Bullocks Flat?
    I have checked website but it doesn't mention much except that it costs $4 for a replacement card.

24. Marty_McSly

They should have a photo of her on file, given that she had the plastic card already. They would have photographed her when issuing the original card.

IIRC they have a ticket office at Bullocks Flat. I think my son got his freedom card there a couple if years ago. If so, they should be able to sort it out there.

OTOH it wouldn't hurt to call the Perisher customer service people first to be sure.

25. Seafm

It shouldn't be a problem apart from paying $4. I went two years ago and didn't think I would again so the lift pass went in the bin. I got hooked and returned last year, they just simply asked for the $4 to replace it. As long as you can prove who you are and probably supply an email address which they should have on record it will be fine.

Last year's pass is still in my wallet today just in case the itch starts to become really bad;)

26. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Cheers Marty and Seafm...that makes sense to me and puts my mind at ease considering I won't be there. i suppose they can put me on the phone to the customer service person if there is any confusion. Cheers!

27. skichic

skichic A Local

I've done it just using a credit card or debit card. Anything really with her name on it.

28. cold wombat

One week and I'll be there.

:D

Seafm and skifree like this.
  29. Seafm

The predictions being made over in the weather forum suggest you have probably fluked it again:cheers:

cold wombat likes this.
  30. ryan_

ryan_ Addicted

I have arranged some POW for my Monday arrival. Kids - you need to be back in schools next week. Everyone else, Thredbo will be heaps better than Perisher next week, suggest you go there.

31. DidSurfNowSki

OK, need some help here.

Ideally I want to ski Perisher on Saturday. I must be back in Canberra on Sunday morning. Saturday looks marginal weather wise, ie wind / snow and generally unpleasant driving conditions.

Questions for those who have experienced these conditions before (srs):

How bad can the weather conditions get on the Monaro and through Cooma onto the skitube?
    How much additional time do I need to allow to make the trip?
    Will an extra layer of clothes to what I normally ski in be enough on the slopes?

32. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Can get real bad.. moreso sunday I would think

33. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Snow before the Tube is rare, but happens once or twice most seasons. The last hill before the tube is where it is most likely to be a problem and you may need chains to get over it. If that happens there will be traffic carnage from Jindabyne.

I have seen snow as far north as Goulburn, but that is very, very rare. Probably not enough to warrant chains, but it could happen. Blowing snow can affect visibility. Take it steady.

34. Ozgirl

@DidSurfNowSki

I reorganised my life to cancel this weekend and move to next weekend. - which will mean two weekends a row.

The miserable weather this weekend (with probably no gain - ie no new terain opening) is reason enough to cancel.

It not the weather that is the concern... its the numpty drivers in front of you. And IMO the numpties are the ones who go the skitube on these days.

I see more carnage on the Alpine way than i ever do going to Perisher.

But in saying that - snow on either road can easily double your travelling time.

But the question is why are you desperate to go this Saturday?

sara777 likes this.
  35. DidSurfNowSki

Life is short, I want to ski.
    I get 2 non-skiing anchors attached on Sunday for a week.

If it's safer fitting chains and driving up I'm happy to do so.

36. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

Looking for a bit of advice. Over on the weather forums, they are obviously going bananas about the next system with predictions ranging from 50 to 70 to 100 cm of snow. We are heading down to Guthega on Sunday.

How much snow would have to fall to make Guthega operational and how long would it take them to set it up to open?

I remember a few years ago in a similar situation (no snow then lots) they opened a lift at Guthega without opening the access trails from the rest of the resort. Us Guthegans had the place to ourselves for a day or so. It was a lot of fun.

37. Ozgirl

AH right - yeah forgot about the anchors.

Since i get the luxury to (mostly) go when i want i am very much a fair weather skier!

38. skichic

skichic A Local

Places to be aware of : first hill at the turnoff to skitube, and then Ivo's hill just past the distillery - both up and down.
    The slight hill between Eucumbene Rd and the equestrian centre and then Varney's range into Berridale (heading north). The hill between 4 mile and Cooma can get icy.

Drive safely and watch out for numpties.

Ozgirl likes this.
  39. Ozgirl

A couple of other thoughts.

Regarding extra time you should be fine driving through jindy around 7am (not much later) the road clearer's would have been through by then. And not too many other on the road.

Also just checked mountainwatch and it seems the lowest point for the snowline for the storms in between 6 - 9am Sunday morning, which is when the road between kind and cooma would possibly affected.

I would consider going home Saturday night!

40. DidSurfNowSki

Yeah, will give the tent a miss Saturday night and try my luck with the deer and roos driving home.

41. Ozgirl

Not sure if serious or not!

42. DidSurfNowSki

Quite a few deer out Guthega way of late. Roos are a given at any time and my tent can't handle wind of any sort ;)

43. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

So with the incoming joy, looking at taking either Monday (more likely) or Tuesday off to hit the slopes.
    Last year was my first (x2) trips to Perisher and year before Thredbo. Base was very good by then and managed to go all over the resort. Realistically, is anything that's not open now likely to be ride-able by then? Is tube access likely to be required between Perisher and Blue Cow?

44. skichic

skichic A Local

Given that there is nothing there, I reckon it's going to take them some time to get access trails etc up and running.

Ozgirl likes this.
  45. Ozgirl

Yep wasn't sure which one you genuinely thought were the lessor of two evils!

46. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

It takes a lot of snow to build the trail to Bluecow from Perisher and there isn't anything there at the moment.

Ozgirl likes this.
  47. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Predictions solid enough for me to commit to next Fri/Sat/Sun. Might even take the new Brahmas out for a spin.

48. cold wombat

I would be very surprised if Guthega had anything open. If we'd already had something of a base it might have made a bit of a difference. Blue Cow will be more of a priority.

49. DidSurfNowSki

50. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Guthega won't open until next week.

At the first hint of snow on the road the police and RMS will have have a chains and closures party.

Chill out people, come back next week when unknowns are known and the frothers have ski groomed the shrubbery.

If there was a base to ski on I would sing a different tune .... alas it's all grass n rock

Self preservation people, it's only early July.

Ted Harper and sara777 like this.