Perisher Day Trip with kids

dammit

Hard Yards
Jun 21, 2005
Sydney, NSW
I am contemplating coming to Perisher for a day trip during this weekend.

I am staying with the kids at Thredbo (please don't crucify me for mentioning it! I know there is a lot of heated politics :(). I really want the kids to experience some snow and Thredbo isn't looking promising.

If I did a day trip driving from Thredbo to Perisher, it appears to be about 1 hours drive? I need snow chains to get there (from my research). Can I just park in the Perisher day parking and the toboggan slope/ski tube area is pretty much right there? Not keen on Ski Tube because I have 4 kids who have humongous amount of stuff to cart!

Is there any fees with parking, entering Perisher, etc (other than the NPWS car fee)?

Is there likely sufficient snow to have a play and possibly a toboggan? I'm thinking there's a much better chance here than Dead Horse Gap or having to go up scenic chair lift at Thredbo etc.

Thanks in advance (from a snow newbie).

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Politics is all for fun, not serious.

No fees apart from park entry. Usual tobogganing area not yet open (all manmade so far). Someone else will have to comment on what tobogganing opportunities are currently available @ Perisher.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
No fees to park.
Take chains. Make sure you know how to fit them.
The only snow is on the man-made areas under the lifts, which will be full of skiers. I don't see Perisher letting you toboggan on that snow. I would call them. They have allowed it in previous years.

You will be able to make snowmen to your hearts content.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I am contemplating coming to Perisher for a day trip during this weekend.

I am staying with the kids at Thredbo (please don't crucify me for mentioning it! I know there is a lot of heated politics :(). I really want the kids to experience some snow and Thredbo isn't looking promising.

If I did a day trip driving from Thredbo to Perisher, it appears to be about 1 hours drive? I need snow chains to get there (from my research). Can I just park in the Perisher day parking and the toboggan slope/ski tube area is pretty much right there? Not keen on Ski Tube because I have 4 kids who have humongous amount of stuff to cart!

Is there any fees with parking, entering Perisher, etc (other than the NPWS car fee)?

Is there likely sufficient snow to have a play and possibly a toboggan? I'm thinking there's a much better chance here than Dead Horse Gap or having to go up scenic chair lift at Thredbo etc.

Thanks in advance (from a snow newbie).
If you have AWD/4WD you probably won't need chains, 2WD yes, mandatory. About 40 minutes I'd say, unless the roads are horrendous. Parks entry is already paid if you're staying at Thredbo. Carparking should be fine, right now there's no snow on the toboggan slope, who knows what the weather will bring. But they may be spots just off the road on the way to Perisher. If there's snow up there, there's likely to also be snow at DHG. You may be able to drive further up the road past Perisher and find some spots, I don't know if the road will close this weekend. There will be enough snow to play in at the bottom of front valley.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass