1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher for a blue noob (kinda)

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by peter_vod69, Jun 15, 2014.

1. peter_vod69

peter_vod69 Hard Yards

Hi all,

Long time lurker here, decided to bite the bullet and sign up. I'm after some advice on runs to seek out at Perisher this year, and to give some background, I learned how to ski blue runs on the Captains side of Cardrona, and then last year got some confidence up skiing on runs like World Cup, Meadows, up around Karels and off Antons at Thredbo.

So where should I be heading at Perisher?

Cheers!

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Centre Valley. Blue Cow (except Rock Garden). Guthega. Perisher is an intermediate heaven. You can pretty much go anywhere . Rather than places to go, there are a few places to avoid.

Snow Blowey, piolet and nfip like this.
  3. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

IMO avoid Smiggins, Pleasant Valley at Blue cow, Pretty Valley and Front Valley at Perisher. You will love Guthega, Mt. Perisher and Blue Cow Mtn.

4. Karen97

Karen97 One of Us

Ski the whole mountain! You will like some areas more than others. I don't mind Smigs, Pretty Valley, Pleasant Valley etc, I can always find interesting lines somewhere.

Normo and WaitAwhile like this.
  5. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Totally agree, but there are a couple of exceptions IMO. If you are up there in a gale and you still want to ski, Smiggins has good fun skiing in the trees and you avoid the huge queues in Front Valley. Pleasant Valley is a great run to retreat to once your legs turn to jelly and you can't link your turns. Avoid Front Valley unless you enjoy playing frogger with snowboarders.
    Like Karen says, ski as much of the mountain as you can.

#5 DidSurfNowSki, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Normo likes this.
  6. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If your feeling adventurous and are confidant on blues, do a run or two up and down the quad, then move on as it can get quite busy in the mornings, then just make a decision to go skiers left or right from the top. Skiers left is normally my favourite when everything is open. I like to ski every lift at least twice(no traversing across to Blue Cow as that's cheating),down into Pretty Valley then do a few runs around interceptor, and North Perisher, then from the top of Interceptor drop into Pleasant Valley,then onto the Brumby bar for a few lines. From there you can either go to the Blue Cow Terminal Area (and a coffee) or head down upper and lower rollercoaster(another great run) to the base of the ridge(beware of long lift lines at certain times) do a few runs up and down the Ridge Area and from the top of that lift you can go skiers left and do a couple of nice short runs up and down the Summit and then back up to the Blue Cow Terminal for Lunch and then on to Guthega.Its a great way to spend a day when the sun is shining.
    The great thing about Perisher is its sheer size and even on busy days you can still find quiet areas .
    Enjoy.

#6 WaitAwhile, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  7. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

I forgot to mention on windy or snowy days try centre valley T-bar runs or go over to Interceptor and North Perisher, depending on the wind direction.

8. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

After learning to ski & board at perisher in the 90's, and going there almost every year since, there are only 2 places we avoid.
    Pleasant Valley & Pretty valley. They are great for beginners but absolutely THE MOST boring runs in the resort.
    We ride everywhere else - even Front Valley is more entertaining than those 2 places, just not for very long.
    Mt Perisher, Blue Cow,Guthega (just avoid the beginners area immediately below the terminal building) , Centre valley, North Perisher and Smiggins.
    Smiggins has reasonable variety in a relatively small area and is the only place to be when the wind is blowing from any directions other than south east. You can take so many different lines they make it feel like you are doing different runs. But it is short and doesn't have a lot of challenging terrain. Sometimes it's good to start the day there for first runs, and always a refinish off the day with easy relaxing runs

Mt perisher probably offeres the greatest variety of challenging terrain for intermediates with Eyre, International, Towers and Sun Valley.

So far the only places we haven't tried are Double Trouble, Devils Playground, Rock Garden, Olympic and Parachute.

9. Dylan

Dylan Hard Yards

Slightly disagree with Pretty Valley. I'll avoid riding the chair at all costs, but there's some nice drops through the trees mostly skiers left along the ridge, not quite into Interceptor territory. From memory, anyway.

sara777 and Normo like this.
  10. Karen97

Karen97 One of Us

^^^^ This!

11. peter_vod69

peter_vod69 Hard Yards

Thanks for all the info folks! Looks like I've got some planning to do.

12. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Seek and ye shall find.

13. peter_vod69

peter_vod69 Hard Yards

OK so I'm off to Perisher very very early tomorrow morning, and had one last question. Olympic, how hard is it compared to say, Antons or Sponars? Bearing in mind I'm fine on T-Bars, the run itself looks fairly wide.

14. nfip

T bar is fine , the run itself it's a reasonable steep grade , fair bit steeper than Antons and Sponars.
    Biggest thing up there is usually the bumps that get cut out right at the start of the run.
    Can avoid with bit of a traverse back to the dog leg then shoot down from there.

15. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Skiing Olympic is ..... IMO not worth the effort is the polite version. Most people ski it so they can say they have skied it. You are better off traversing around from the top of the quad.

Jamesc likes this.
  16. nfip

Can't agree soz.
    I have had a lot of fun off the top of the T over the years you don't get to from the quad.
    Granted you do have to pick your days.