News Perisher invests $4.2 M in new chair & snowmaking

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Richard, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

Press Release

PERISHER SKI RESORT INVESTING $4.2 MILLION IN NEW CHAIRLIFT AND SNOWMAKING
    • The new quad chairlift will increase lift capacity by 75% in one of Perisher’s most popular areas, for the 2019 season.
    • Additional snow-making brings investment to over $25 million in recent years and bolsters already preeminent early season experience.
    • Vail Resorts is also investing CAD$66 million at Whistler Blackcomb for new lift infrastructure and on the heels of US$50 million in improvements in 2015, Park City Mountain will also see a significant investment into on-mountain dining and family experiences.
    • The Epic Australia Pass, extending year-round access at a price un-matched, is on sale now at www.epicaustraliapass.com.au for the 2018 Perisher season and 2018-2019 North American season.
    PERISHER, New South Wales – Dec.8, 2017 - Perisher, Australia’s favourite ski resort, today announced it will be replacing Leichhardt T- Bar with a new quad chairlift to be ready for the 2019 winter. The investment includes a significant snowmaking project bringing the total cost to $4.2 million with the work planned for the 2018/2019 summer.

“News of the new quad chairlift is very exciting as it services a favourite area for many of Perisher’s loyal guests,” said Peter Brulisauer, chief operating officer of Perisher. “The new lift will access fantastic beginner, intermediate and advanced runs as well as the famous Leichhardt Terrain Park providing something for every level of skier and snowboarder.”

By replacing Leichhardt T-bar and Home Rope Tow the new quad chairlift will increase lifting capacity in the area by a huge 75%, giving guests more time to ski and board popular runs including The Cleft, Powder Ridge, Snowy Trails and the Leichhardt Terrain Park.

“Replacing the Leichhardt T-Bar with a quad chairlift is a huge improvement. The area provides some of the best tree skiing in the resort and will be a favourite during the winter storms giving access to great powder skiing amongst the shelter of the tree lined terrain on Powder Ridge,” said Andrew Kennedy, mountain manager of Perisher.

The replacement of the steep, advanced only Leichhardt T-bar with a chairlift will allow it to be used by children and beginners providing another option to the nearby Happy Valley T-bar. The new chairlift will have the same conveyor load system as the Freedom Quad Chairlift in Guthega, making the loading process easy for all guests.

Beginner skiers and boarders will be impressed when enjoying Snowy Trails, one of Perisher’s most popular beginner runs with snowmaking installed from the base of Happy Valley T-Bar right through to the load of the new quad chairlift.

Peter Brulisauer added: “The new snowmaking linking Happy Valley to the base of the new chairlift will provide Perisher skiers with another lift and run to enjoy under snowmaking only conditions and will ensure we can open terrain in this part of the resort earlier providing great conditions across the entire winter for our guests.”

This major investment to improve the guest experience at Perisher follows the installation of the Freedom Quad Chairlift in the Guthega area of the resort in 2014 and over $25 million in snowmaking improvements.

Vail Resorts will also invest US$52 million (CAD$66 million) at Whistler Blackcomb, the largest ski resort in North America, including the world’s first three-gondola inter-connect.

The largest single investment in the resort’s history will include a new 10-passenger gondola, new six-passenger high-speed lift and new four-passenger high-speed lift.
    The investment will also include an expansion of the resort’s world-renowned mountain bike park with the addition of 13 miles of new biking trails.

On the heels of US$50 million in lift infrastructure and on-mountain dining improvements in 2015, Park City Mountain in Utah, the largest ski resort in the United States, will further its focus on premier family experiences, mountain dining excellence and guest service through a new learning area for beginners, children and families; a transformative renovation to the iconic Mid-Mountain Lodge; and an expansion of the popular, mountaintop bistro Cloud Dine with an additional 200 seats.

2018 Epic Australia Pass – The best value season pass at a price unmatched!
    The Epic Australia Pass is the best value season pass for Australians! With your Epic Australia Pass you will enjoy:
    • Unlimited, unrestricted access to Perisher for the 2018 season.
    • Unlimited access to Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin in Colorado; Park City in Utah; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood in the Lake Tahoe region of California; from November 2018 - April 2019 (holiday restrictions apply).
    • 10 days combined between Whistler Blackcomb, Vail, Beaver Creek and/or Stowe during the 2018/2019 season, from November 2018 - April 2019 (holiday restrictions apply). The days do not have to be used consecutively.
    Guests can lock in the Epic Australia Pass for only $819 for Adults, $462 for students (up to year 12) and $588 for seniors (65 years and over). The Epic Australia Pass pays for itself in under 5 days*. Now's the time to lock in your 2018 Epic Australia Pass with only $49 upfront and the balance on 1 May 2018. For more information head to http://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au

For more information, visit http://www.perisher.com.au/perisher-news/media-room/latest-press-releases

Attached Files:

2. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Bye bye Leichardt. Wonder if it will go high enough to cut out Happy Valley if you want to head to Mid?

3. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Only a year's notice.....

4. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

No.
    Not on the DA...
    Pity

5. SMSkier

SMSkier Dedicated Member

Depends on how they go with the Parks! Differing views on what will be acceptable. I’m voting for your version!!

6. SMSkier

SMSkier Dedicated Member

Also wondering if there has been some positive movement in regards to the head lease. Did not expect a lot of investment till such time as that was sorted. Here’s hoping!

7. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Shame to see the rope tow go, that's my favourite get out of CV card. As the freedom chair proved, there will still be queues. Build it and they will come.

8. scullee

scullee Old And Crusty

Im not sure how many people really want to ride that area, I see it more as being an access back from Mt P. The chair itself is too short for runs other than the park.

Im sure it will have a crazy line from about 2:30 but it will move people better than the T ever did. Wind hold may be an issue though, I just hope its low enough

9. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Dedicated Member

With the improvements they made to the park this year, I couldn't count how many times I tried the escape route past Happy Valley T only to find long line ups at Leichhardt T with predominantly boarders, alot of which wanted single rides. The annoying Happy & Leichhardt bottleneck kept me away from Mt P on many a day so I think this new chair will help spread crowds more evenly across the resort left of front valley.

10. SMSkier

SMSkier Dedicated Member

I reckon a lot of beginner or intermediate users will do the loop. Especially when HV is busy.

The current Leichhardt TBar can be very challenging for skiers of that standard. The new chair will definitely give them options.

The other benefit is that it will remove the “one at a time” users who unnecessarily add to the lift line.

11. scullee

scullee Old And Crusty

If you can't ride double, don't ride the T, simple as that

Slalom likes this.
  12. Xwing

Xwing Well-Known Member

On every other day when it is not mid week with great conditions (what....15%-25% of season), Perisher is just too crowded. This will only serve to make this area become more so. It can just get too full...for the sake of the buck. I have this:

13. Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Will this make 'Goats Gully' even crazier in peak season? Anything to help the happy valley queue is a win though.

14. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I don't think it will change goats

15. Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Can't access GG and therefore FV from the top of this?

16. asammut_au

asammut_au Active Member

Not the rope tow too! What do you all think will happen in regards to mt P on high wind days? If happy valley, Olympic and the new chair are closed then wouldn't that mean there is no access back from Mt P? I know it's possible to get back by traversing under Olympic but would perisher see that as a viable option? Just feels like we lost an entire slab of the resort on windy days and not just the Leichhardt area.

17. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

HV closed?
    If HV is closed.. Mt P sure as hell will be.

nfip and piolet like this.
  18. asammut_au

asammut_au Active Member

Happy valley usually closes well before Eyre, Sun valley and international on a really windy day. I've skied many days on Eyre and international when only Leichhardt is open for access back to front valley and even some when only the rope tow was open for return access

19. scullee

scullee Old And Crusty

You can get to goats from the current top of the T, why would this be any different?

20. asammut_au

asammut_au Active Member

I'm also guessing that on the more common type of windy days where the new chair is closed and happy valley still open that happy valley will be even worse then it is now due to two less alternatives :-(

21. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

anyone know in more detail about the lift infrastructure at WB???? As in where/what/when???

22. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sorry ignore, there is info over in the WB 17/18 thread

23. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

The NSW Department of Planning makes the call, not the Park or the Office of Environment and Heritage. If Perisher wanted the new chair to go higher they could do it with much less impact than the Bondage Chair had when it was installed.

24. Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Noted - thanks. Looks like I just outed myself as a Thredbo skier.

piolet likes this.
  25. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier

I don't remember a chair of that name, sounds like it could be fun though.

26. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Bullwheel trips guaranteed

27. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

I refuse to utter the name of the new Guthega Chair

ecowain likes this.
  28. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

What new guthega chair...?. Tell me more

29. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

My father still calls it the "Proposed Quad", since it was on the trail maps under that name (I think I posted an old trail map showing it a couple of years ago) when he and I used to ski Guthega together in the 80's. I would have loved to see it officially given that name :)

sbm, Marty_McSly and Telemark Phat like this.
  30. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

a three year old chair at Perisher is virtually brand new. How long ago now was interceptor installed?

31. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I wonder what this new chair will be called?

Re the DA. I can't see any provision for a carpet?

32. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

How much on it being named the EPIC Quad Chair?

piolet likes this.
  33. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

OK.......I've had a little think about this one and I'm mostly in favour of it.
    I have concerns that, if it has the same upload conveyor as the Guthega chair, it will have similar loading problems as have been experienced at Guthega. Slowdowns in windy conditions are also likely...........
    But, that said, the current T has become very crowded most days and is very dangerous late in the day when it is gouged up and frozen solid. Lots of falls off the T happening there and, boy, do people come down that track at speed when they do, skittling all below them!
    The chair will handle bigger numbers much more efficiently.
    Wind hold shouldn't be an issue if the new lift doesn't extend much higher than the current T. Slowdowns, yes, but it would have to be fierce winds to close it completely ( in which case, everything else will be closed too). Much more protected than Happy......
    They will have to push back a bit towards mid-station, just to fit a decent offload in, so it might be possible for riders to walk up to mid via the new lift if HV is backed up. Easier than it is currently at least.
    The challenge for Perisher in coming years will be how to provide a good experience for the growing numbers of people being attracted to the resort, as well as keeping the existing customer base happy.
    Without new terrain becoming available, they have to use what is available better, moving people around more efficiently, improving lift line strategies and pushing people into areas that have previously been less frequented.
    I'm probably reaching a stage of life where chairs are going to be more desirable than T's anyway :D.
    As for the name.........Leichhardt Quad does it for me.

So.....I'm a positive.........and Happy to Share :thumbs:

34. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It always made perfect sense to me.
    I've got feeling with more grooming and snow making in the area it will be used as a riding zone more often.
    I wonder if the old T will be recycled?

W0nkey D0nkey and Normo like this.
  35. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Could replace the Mt P double with it! :)

36. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Re the lift alignment. Have not looked at current DA, but this from 2002 is interesting. The heavy dashed orange line.

Current DA. On the same alignment as the current Leichardt T.

#36 VSG, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  37. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Spent many a day lapping the Leichhardt T-Bar when the weather was absolutely atrocious; ie the chairs were on wind hold, the top of Mt P socked in which also took out Eyre and International. The tow rope was also an excellent escape back to Front Valley on crowded days.

On bluebird days this chair should work well.

On windy days, you might need skins to get across to Sun Valley, Eyre and International.

On atrocious days, I guess Center Valley will be even busier.

38. bluess57

bluess57 Active Member

Personally I hate those conveyor load/carpets

39. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sorry to be harsh but urban infill lifts dont impress me.

40. DidSurfNowSki

Season Pass Gold

Does Perisher have any other choice at the moment ? A CP link isn't possible and extending the resort out to Paralyzer or over the Guthega dam wall would inflame the masses.

41. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

All of Perishers expansion options are within the black boundary in this Map. That black line defines the area that the Alpine State Environmental Planning Policy effects. Perisher will not be allowed to expand beyond the area of the Alpine SEPP.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  42. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

New lift straight up the guts of Devils Playground .

43. DidSurfNowSki

Season Pass Gold

That face catches the sun rather badly...

Donzah likes this.
  44. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Ride able snow.... 15 days

45. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

So does Sun Valley but we have lotsa fun there .

46. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

4-5 snow cannons would fix that.

47. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Need another T at Guthega from quad chair load to bottom of Cow T.

W0nkey D0nkey and asammut_au like this.
  48. asammut_au

asammut_au Active Member

If given the choice of upgrading happy valley or Leichhardt t bars to a chairlift, isn't happy the better option? Still solves reducing the queues coming back from Mt P while also allowing people to get back to mid station instead of front valley easier, gives the beginners and snow boarders a nice chair lift option but still leaves a nice protected t Bar for high wind days.

49. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

It' always good to get new lifts but terrain concentration is not terrain expansion.

Pretty Valley to the top between Quad top and Copperhead road start would be a better spend .... IMHO

Principal Douglas likes this.
  50. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

It's the wind direction that is the problem with Happy Valley. It generally hits the T sideways, which would mean that any chair installed there would likely be put on hold, even in moderate wind conditions. 'Tis a problem.

51. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Wind

Happy Valley goes on wind hold more often than Leichhardt.

52. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

We seem to have a few repeated posts @Richard

53. asammut_au

asammut_au Active Member

I guess having no option in higher winds is seen as less important then having a sucky option in lower winds

54. asammut_au

asammut_au Active Member

My concern is that will change now and we will loose Mt P on a lot more days

55. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Getting to Mt P can, on the odd occasion, be a challenge. Getting back? There's always the road!*

*Can be tough on the bases when not covered in snow! :)

56. Normo

Normo Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think the really exciting part of the development is the extension of snowmaking deep into centre valley.
    Dare we hope for "high temp" snowmaking?
    Perisher have a done a remarkable job getting Front Valley operational early in the last few seasons (according to some who were there, salivating at the gates:)).
    It will be a massive step forward to have both Front and Centre Valleys open early in June in the years ahead.
    Be still, my beating heart! :D

57. Bato

Bato Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Are Perisher looking to get the Guinness world record for most fixed grips in one resort ;)
    But seriously, fixed grip here makes sense because its so short, however, they have a load carpet so they can run the chair faster and easier to load, It wont be easier to load for beginners who will be using this chair a lot, It will more likely enter the records for worlds slowest and most stopped chair.