1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Perisher Issues Uphill Access Safety Alert

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by SkiMountaineer, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Listen mate. When I was going past on the Quad. There was a group of cross country skiers yesterday, at the bottom of Centre Valley. Their tracks showed they had trekked in from near the Quad Chair. They were clearly just learning and they were well away from downhillers. So I have shown some people want to try cross country in the safety of inbound.

This is disallowed now. And I have seen Perisher enforce the Toboggan Rule when it was "Put in Writing". So they will have to enforce this rule, now it's in writing, or they would expose themselves to litigation if something went wrong.

And funny enough, my next run on the Quad, they were gone. Undoubtedly moved on.

The question was asked. "Why choose to skin uphill at the resort? ". I have answered it. Just because you don't think it's a good reason. Doesn't mean it's wrong. And I'm clearly not the only one to have it.

It is now outlawed. Hence the thread. Hence the discussion.

The origins of recreational skiing are people going uphill unlifted. It should be encouraged, not banned in daylight hours at resorts that are in a National Park.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  2. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

this.
    my experience also.
    (think they can generally spot potential "issue" like dogs balls)

SkiMountaineer and Telemark Phat like this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

What's wrong with the xc loops for beginning xc?
    If there isn't enough snow to go off the alpine groomers then maybe it isn't the time to learn xc.

In abysmal snow years, falls creek lift co have allowed elite xc training on wombats ramble before lifts open. The rest of the xc community know that they have to wait for natural snow.

Ozgirl likes this.
  4. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Tobogganing is completely different to cross country or skinning.

There is a reason they are moved on.

Lost of cross country people use summer road for example. I would be surprised if staff moved everyone on.

Suspect the 'in writing' is covering their arse.

It's very interesting that they allow it out of hours.. Much more dangerous IMO.

5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Looks political - keeping stakeholders happy with-ought doing v much. And yes trying to avoid a nasty or even fatal prang.

Its funny because my impression from > 30 years skiing both xc/bc & lifts is that very very few dheads & idiots are warned off on the slopes, esp, near the big ‘slow’ signs at pinch points and load stations. Have even seen it amongst fallen skiers, with & without first aid present.

Admittedly my experience applies more to Hotham & NZ in the last decade but certainly applicable to other hills in Oz - even Baw baw where theres also a very numpty factor.

So after all my rambling, I think it would be great if there is some consistency in the OHS stakes, rather than just picking on ‘non-paying’ xc skiers.

Just hope paying telemarkers aren’t next? Then
    Boarders can start getting worried. ( /;-/(

Ozgirl and Astro66 like this.
  6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Moved on, or discovering that where they were skiing was not the smartest spot? Who knows?

As for your batty national park argument I suggest you broaden your horizons. There are lots of spots just outside resort boundaries that are much more pleasant than a resort for a couple of ks of pottering about.

Ozgirl likes this.
  7. Ozgirl

Yes, re your last point, i did wonder... and what if the skinners have a lift pass? what then?

Vail are very big on OHS, i have seen a lot of changes within my role at the resort. Suspect this is just crossing the T and dotting the I's so to speak.

Remember when snowboarding first came out? we were all horrified when they walked up the hill extra. When i was a kid i was taught not to ever walk up the run. to take the longest route to get a ski left up the hill after a crash. Or better yet wait for someone on ski's to bring it to you.

Snowboarding changed that.

8. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So David Milford is there a clause that says 'forget this policy when the lifts breakdown or it gets to windy'.

nfip, skifree and Ozgirl like this.
  9. Ozgirl

I would think that was a given.

As i previously stated this is really about abuse and giving the resort power to kick those abusing it off the hill.

The reality is be respectful and i doubt you would be punished.

nfip, skifree and Telemark Phat like this.
  10. SkiMountaineer

SkiMountaineer One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I regularly skin up before sunrise. I stay clear of the groomers and wear a headlamp so they can see me. I usually stop for a break in the trees if it's coming down/up where I'm skinning. Groomer usually gives me a wave. Ski patrol have seen me standing on top of Mt P just after sunrise and have done nothing but give me a friendly wave. When I ski back down for brekky I am usually off-piste, but if I'm forced to ski on-piste I ski down the fresh groomed run and avoid the groomer. Only once in the last 8 years have I seen the groomer on the winch, and that was in the lower part of Eyre.

Gimp, Untele-whippet, nfip and 2 others like this.
  11. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

“That’s a paddlin’ “

skifree likes this.
  12. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It's called the common sense card.
    If your in the resort and you getting your arse from A to B it's pretty straight forward.
    Many times I've skinned and traversed to get from one place to another , using lifts as a leg up in inclement weather but chairs on wind hold .... (as we all have / do) .
    Often too I've hitched a ride on Mtn Ops skidoo. :)
    Pretty much great crew, as is all the gang on the hill that makes the place tick.:thumbs:

Ozgirl likes this.
  13. GlennDruery

GlennDruery First Runs

A unilateral policy decision made by faceless corporate executives based in Vale CO does not usurp a NSW national parks plan of management.
    David Milfords proclamation banning people accessing our Parks is irrelevant and meaningless.
    I will continue to skin uphill in Perisher!

cornice11 and Belly like this.
  14. Ozgirl

And has he stopped you as yet??

pull your head in a bit. it will be okay! :thumbs:

15. Kanangra

Kanangra Early Days

Settle down people. The memo is arse-covering so that if something happens as a result of this activity, they have a backstop in the event of legal action.

I skinned up front valley the last two mornings at 8am, passed a bunch of patrollers and lift staff and nobody is concerned. Memo or no memo, doing so in a heavily trafficked area while the lifts are running would be potentially dangerous for both the uphiller and the downhillers. Common sense prevails.

BTW I know Dave Milford well and he’s a good sensible guy. But further up the chain, don’t get between a Vail boss and a dollar.

SkiMountaineer and Ozgirl like this.