1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher kids development programs

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by BlueHue, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Looking at options for next years season passes. I prefer Thredbo, although not above skiing the other side - I started out at the old Blue Cow-Guthega and love going back. My wife is Perisher. We alternate season pass resort each year and for 2020 we are back to Perisher. Before pulling the pin I am just trying to get a feel for the kids Sunday development program and cost. They've had a great time this year at Thredbo and improved more than expected.

Does anyone have any experience with the Perisher kids seasonal programs, have an idea on cost (no details on website I can find - not surprising given its 8-9 months away) and general advice? Just trying to put my mind at ease that the kids will not be let down after this year (I'm sure the won' t)and also trying to plot out cheapest course to maximum skiing for entire family - tough gig with so many different passes available these days.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My kids did ok. Cost used to be around $700 but that’s going back a while.

3. garbanzo

garbanzo First Runs

Our 6yo was in the junior dev squad at Perisher this season and our 4yo was in the mini mites. The early bird pricing worked out roughly around $80/day for 11 Sundays through the season per child, which includes lunch. Unfortunately there seemed to be too many kids (8 I think) in the 6yo's group and the skill level within the group was just too varied. He didn't seem to have a great time so we shadowed the class to see what was going on. I really felt for the instructor let alone the kids - by the time a couple of kids fall off the t-bar, lift queues (albeit with the priority line) and standing around, there is not a lot of skiing being done. You can track the lifts taken on the Perisher app. The upshot was our 6yo was bored/unengaged and actually seemed to regress compared to when we skied with him at the start of the season. Ultimately he wasn't enjoying it so a couple of weeks ago we pulled him out, skied with him in the morning and hired an instructor for a 2 hour afternoon private lesson from Blue Cow ($245 and you can have 5 in the class I think). My wife and I tagged along and were relieved to see he had such a great time going off the side through the trees and bumps. The next Sunday we did the same with our 4yo joining and both boys had a ball. There were not many people around Blue Cow in the afternoons so no lift queues and plenty of skiing - especially for little legs. It was funny reading the end of season report from the junior dev squad compared to seeing our him ski with the instructor and us. A school friend of our 6yo did the Thredbo version - apparently had 4 in her class and developed well through the season. In fairness our 4yo really enjoyed the mini mites but would be going into the junior dev squad next year. We get the EPIC pass so Perisher makes sense for us in the SH winter. However, we are unlikely to go back to the junior dev squad next year and instead will book an instructor for a block of lessons (also helps if you want to avoid skiing in the July school holidays). Clearly the experience is specific to the particular group but it's our experience nonetheless.

4. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Thanks. So sounds like it was just the number if kids in class that made for less than ideal outcome. Ours were in Thredbo's equivalent this year, had a blast and developed well. From memory one had 4 and one had 6 kids in class.

As it turns out, we might be sticking with Thredbo again to make use of 365 passes over summer since we live local now.