Perisher - Lodge Memberships

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Turnak at Guthega
I was going to suggest Australian Ski Club at Guthega too. I was a member there for over 30 years and just sold my share over summer to a family that I hope uses and enjoys it as much as we did! Self-catering, bedrooms with private bathrooms, lovely big lounge area, glassed-in balcony with an amazing view over the dam to Tate East Ridge and Twynam, rooms have allocated jobs to keep the lodge running without paid staff, etc. Can’t remember the current winter rate for shareholders offhand but let me guess at $40pppn - of that order anyway.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
If you only stay for one night, maybe?

The 4 night stay is $1,130 for a family of 4, or $282.50/night.

The week stay is $1,800, or ~$258 per night.

Yeah, it's pretty good value at 4 and 7 days. Unfortunately with work I was looking at the rate for two or three nights.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
So are your whole family members? And how available is membership and rooms once a member? looks good but very small so I'm guessing it's not easy to get in to.
No I'm not a member. I was interested but landed elsewhere. Small lodge but probably has a small membership to go with it. Club seemed well run by experienced members. They have just completely renovated the whole building, so technically good for next 30 yrs. The club does have some debt however as a consequence which I think the members are on the hook for. But debt is normal. Need to rebuild lodges every 30 to 40 yrs I reckon, so this needs to be reflected in the cost base. Has a $25 K buy in from memory.

One of the lodges I noted at CP last year had a membership available sign in window. But building was near end of life I'd say, so beware of this situation.

$50 K for a share in a semi fancy Thredbo lodge I saw in real estate window at Thredbo. Was also considering a share in High Noon at Thredbo too, was for sale for $25k which apparently was "over the odds" at the time, but hard to value these things. Lodges with expensive buy ins usually have resellable shares, so the money isn't lost, just locked up in a semi-illiquid asset.

But it is Guthega, so early and late season skiing means driving over to Front Valley. Just be aware.

Thredbo Valley Farm was about $18 K for membership share from memory. But easy access to both Perisher and Thredbo.

Lodge membership is the way to go, but can be hard to get into. But persistence pays. But lot's of families plonk tens of thousands on caravans/4WDs/overseas holidays etc so just needs to be viewed as a cost of doing skiing.

Most places have a fairly sensible balance of membership pool versus fees versus availability. But it will be a shared facility with obvious peaks in demand.

Reactions: GobrinIce

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Basically the way I'd look at lodge membership is that you are buying into a less rapacious pricing structure than the commercial market.

Charlotte Pass does have some good value, but is a little restrictive in terms of access. But is only 2hrs from Perisher via a set of touring skis, just remember that.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks very much @Sir Surfalot and @teleroo for the information and recommendation. I've made enquiries to both lodges. Thredbo valley farm looks good but it's a 40 minute drive to Perisher so probably wouldn't be close enough for us.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Oh, and don't discount a Thredbo lodge. 15 mins down the road to the ski tube plus a nicer place to visit in summer.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Dude TVF is opposite the skitube
Yeah, I saw that but a lot of the interest in getting a lodge membership is that my youngest daughter finds it a hassle to get out the door. So the prospect of getting into a car, driving to the skitube, packing onto the skitube, walking from there to the slopes would be really annoying for her. I know that sounds pretty basic, but I can just see it leading to heaps of grumpiness. And while it avoids the parking problems, it doesn't get us up the mountain faster. I also like the idea of being able to go back and forth between the lodge and the slopes, which again makes the skitube a bit more of a hassle. But you're right that the location and the lodge itself looks really good.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'd be keen to hear of other places.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
If you have a young one who is difficult to get out of the place in the morning, and who is attending ski school / lessons, then I'd suggest that a lodge in Guthega might not be the best. Trying to make it across from Guthega to FV in time for the start of lessons would be... difficult, and driving would be 30 mins plus the walk down to the overnight parking from the lodge.

Reactions: GobrinIce and tot

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
If you have a young one who is difficult to get out of the place in the morning, and who is attending ski school / lessons, then I'd suggest that a lodge in Guthega might not be the best. Trying to make it across from Guthega to FV in time for the start of lessons would be... difficult, and driving would be 30 mins plus the walk down to the overnight parking from the lodge.

No lessons and like to avoid front valley as much as possible so would be keen just to start at Guthega when it's open, or the less convenient drive to Perisher when it's not. Either way, the opportunity to just be near snow on the mountain would make it special.

Reactions: nezumi

SkiMountaineer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2012
Newcastle NSW
Hi all, Is there a no-frills unrenovated, self-catered, family-friendly lodge anywhere on Perisher? I'm not necessarily looking for immediate membership but thought it might be worthwhile if I could put my name down on a waiting list. Most the lodges suggested here are too pricey, would hope my family of 4 would be able to stay somewhere for under $300 a night. Is that impossible? Only need a room with a double bed and a bunk, with perhaps the tiniest of windows and a communal area with a fire. Large upfront joining fee is fine.

I have a vision of this sort of place in my mind, with families driving up in their 90s station wagon in their old handmade woolens and old sloppy furnishings and a dinky shared bathroom with a worn out pack of uno under the coffee table and working bees with cups of tea and arnotts all sorts biscuits in the summer. But the common style seems to be sleekly renovated lodges with high fees, long membership agreements, the latest audi 4wds and puffy jackets and schmick gear and phones where lodgers compliment the french chef on their entrees.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
In winter you will be hard-pressed to find a lodge uncatered. Rock Creek would be at over $800/night uncatered and BYO pretty much everything. You could get away with $400/night for a family of 4 as a shareholder in off-peak times at most clubs but it is fully catered (lunch excepted). You would probably have an ensuite these days, but there are working bees in summer with instant coffee/tea and assorted biscuits/cakes. We have ridden ourselves of our 1960s era furnishings and upgraded some things in the last 10 years. But everybody is pretty down-to-earth and rolls up their sleeves. There is no way you will find an unrenovated place as everyone has had to come up to the latest fire standards.

Reactions: GobrinIce

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
In winter you will be hard-pressed to find a lodge uncatered. Rock Creek would be at over $800/night uncatered and BYO pretty much everything. You could get away with $400/night for a family of 4 as a shareholder in off-peak times at most clubs but it is fully catered (lunch excepted). You would probably have an ensuite these days, but there are working bees in summer with instant coffee/tea and assorted biscuits/cakes. We have ridden ourselves of our 1960s era furnishings and upgraded some things in the last 10 years. But everybody is pretty down-to-earth and rolls up their sleeves. There is no way you will find an unrenovated place as everyone has had to come up to the latest fire standards.
Those $$ you are quoting are pretty high for a non-catered club lodge IMO. Next year I'd expect a bed at a non catered club lodge at peak season to be $90 to $150 per night. $35 to $60 per night off peak. That is after factoring in what I know to be a big increase in insurance premiums to cover bushfire. Catering probably doubles or triples these costs.

Reactions: nezumi

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
By the way, how is this project going @GobrinIce ?
Hey Teleroo, didn't have much luck. I did a search through Hans oversnow price list and google maps to find ski clubs and got a couple replies from a few that seemed affordable, but they generally want new members from old member referrals and most have reasonable waiting lists, and then only had limited opportunity to book once a member anyway. So none really seemed to work out as a convenient and affordable lodge option for a family, which wasn't unexpected. I think secretaries and presidents of clubs are also already busy dealing with member issues and covid etc, so don't have much time for new enquiries who don't know members when there's already waiting lists. I didn't bother contacting many because prices advertised on website were too high. But that's alright because I enjoy the berridale/dalgety experience anyway.

Reactions: teleroo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass