Perisher Master Plan

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I've got terrain printouts, somewhere, that include new proposed lift and amenity infrastructure as part of Perisher's Master Plan...circa 2001. The ones that excited me the most was a proposed t-bar from Pleasant V. back up to Interceptor and a lift off the back of Blue Cow, allowing access to the other side of Blue Cow, toward Guthega.
Hmmmm.....now where are they, I wonder?

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
The ones that excited me the most was a proposed t-bar from Pleasant V. back up to Interceptor and a lift off the back of Blue Cow, allowing access to the other side of Blue Cow, toward Guthega.
Hmmmm.....now where are they, I wonder?
I have the PDFs saved somewhere - haven’t seen the files for years but I know I put them somewhere safe.

The proposed Blue Cow changes were the ones I was keenest on. Relocating the bottom of the Terminal quad (to where the big black snow gun is on Rollercoaster wheee it crosses the summer road) and generally realigning it so it was far less wind-affected seemed a great idea and any lifting to get back into Perisher when Pleasant Valley isn’t operating - T-bar up to near the top of Interceptor (heck I’d take a rope tow or a trebuchet) - would be something I’d still like to see sooner rather than later. And of course Smiggins snowmaking - at least the first phase from the chair across to J-bar Land.

Sadly not holding my breath though.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I have the PDFs saved somewhere - haven’t seen the files for years but I know I put them somewhere safe.

...... any lifting to get back into Perisher when Pleasant Valley isn’t operating - T-bar up to near the top of Interceptor (heck I’d take a rope tow or a trebuchet) - would be something I’d still like to see sooner rather than later......

Sadly not holding my breath though.
I have hiked on many occasions from BC terminal back up to the top of Pleasant Chair, when it's shut. It's often a better option than catching the tube back. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes. With a fierce wind blowing it makes for a tough slog, but once up there the ski back down through Copperhead Road can be something else.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
My favourite part of the old plan was for a chair from the bottom of guthega, up to pleasant valley, sort of between pleasant view and double trouble. That would be an absolute game changer, as you wouldn't need to go back to Blue Cow to return to Perisher, so would reduce a lot of congestion. Also would open up the pleasant view and double trouble areas for repeat skiing, and both are great areas

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Oh its dead in the water.
Some elements of it have happened though...
*some.
Guessing some more elements will happen yet. Mt P 6 pack proposal pretty much in line with master plan, something similar to Pretty Valley you'd think will eventually happen given how antiquated the chair is. I think Telemark was earmarked for capacity upgrade of some kind - could see this happening as well given queues there now as people return to Front Valley in the afternoon. I'd like to think something will happen with Terminal one day.

Reactions: Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
So what's the hold up? Is it Vail or NPWS?
I'm guessing bucks, which is Vail. You might have noticed the odd development here and there. Mountain bike trails. Chairlifts. Stuff like that. To an observant bystander that suggests that NPWS does not oppose development provided that appropriate environmental safeguards exist. NPWS has been a convenient scapegoat for the resorts' inaction for decades.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
Parks were happy with the plan.

Packer never intended to fund it. It was all vapour designed to help sell the resort.
This.
To do everything in the original plan was always going to be more money than the resort was worth - especially given the very limited Australian market and season.
But it showed potential buyers there was a fair scope for future development and expansion so it wouldn't look a "dead-end".

Personally their next big project after the Mt P six should be to upgrade snowmaking at Smiggins. and build the reservoir on the crest behind the Back Wood Run and Capt Cook J bar. This would have a larger impact on the resort as a whole than most of the other projects.

Reactions: crackson

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 20.23.49.jpg

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Perisher deserve a head lease.
Please God, no.

That gives them unreal power over club lodges. But it is happening anyway (as I understand it). The long term impact I expect will be that non commercial club lodges will be squeezed off the mountain.

Reactions: cornice11

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
What I found most annoying was listening to Perisher media talk about the new village on snowfm for 5yrs straight, when they knew it was a lie. Every snow report and every media opportunity to talk it up was a lie. The amount of punters that then talked about how awesome it would be and better than thredbo was huge.

Parks even doubled entry prices to fund what they had to contribute. Parks were furious when they found out about the hoax and built the Thredbo Valley Trail with the extra cash.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
What I found most annoying was listening to Perisher media talk about the new village on snowfm for 5yrs straight, when they knew it was a lie. Every snow report and every media opportunity to talk it up was a lie. The amount of punters that then talked about how awesome it would be and better than thredbo was huge.

Parks even doubled entry prices to fund what they had to contribute. Parks were furious when they found out about the hoax and built the Thredbo Valley Trail with the extra cash.
Da fcuk are you talking about willis?
It was a pipe dream in 2001.
It was written off by 2004.
Snow FM?
Literally no one talked about the development then.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
A head lease with conditions to protect current establishments and supervised by the new NSW RMB and Planning NSW will be better than you think.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Da fcuk are you talking about willis?
It was a pipe dream in 2001.
It was written off by 2004.
Snow FM?
Literally no one talked about the development then.
You need to get out more. Their media dept talked shit about the plan constantly.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
You need to get out more. Their media dept talked shit about the plan constantly.
I'm out ...and about.
Alot
The amount the masterplan was discussed at the time on this forum should be relevant.
It wasn't

Not till way later.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
A head lease with conditions to protect current establishments and supervised by the new NSW RMB and Planning NSW will be better than you think.
Like that will work. Get the wedge in then keep wriggling it.

Club lodges go against the interests of Perisher. That will never change. Protections be damned.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Come to thredbo. It's not flat and has carparks. And a village. And a head lease. And media don't hoax you.

Reactions: snowgum

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a