Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
and they've flipped a view from the Porcupine, of Bullock's Flat.

view from porcupine flipped.jpg

Image courtesy of John Spencer/DPIE

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
About 2% of the affected population will bother doing that.
Which will be a disadvantage to those who comment based on so little info compared to what's out there. If they are serious about making comment and having a say on the local they should make an effort.

Reactions: crackson

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Which will be a disadvantage to those who comment based on so little info compared to what's out there. If they are serious about making comment and having a say on the local they should make an effort.
Aspirations are good. Sadly, the average human in Australia does not care a fig.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Hang on. Parking and toilets and kiosk at the bottom of ridge?
from that old Plan.

13.4.6 Facilities at the base of the Ridge Chairlift
To improve the amenity at the base of the Ridge Chairlift for recreational skiers, competition skiers and spectators, it is proposed to provide a kiosk with toilets. This may be upgraded to a restaurant if the Link Road to this point is opened to vehicle access in winter.
Being at the lowest point in the resort, it would be necessary to pump sewage back to North Perisher via the Blue Cow Road.

Electricity is already on site and water could be supplied from Blue Cow. The provision of new services to the site is likely to be integrated with the provision of snowmaking down the Roller Coaster Run in Precinct 7, although other options may be available.

To improve the safety of the milling area near the base station, it is proposed to cover a section of the creek that runs parallel to Roller Coaster. This may be designed to enable the creek to be partly exposed during summer, as has been done with some other bridges in the resort (Refs. 29, 30).

In the future, it may be desirable also to provide limited parking in this area, but this depends on decisions with respect to the Smiggin Holes ñ Guthega Link Road (see Section 14.4.3).

Because of the limited area available, any parking is unlikely to be available for general visitor use, but may be used, for example, to provide outdoor broadcast facilities associated with major competition events and for drop-off and pick up shuttle services.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Upgrading the bottom of Ridge made sense. The viewpoint of the bump runs on the lower Ridge was anticipated to generate TV coverage, sponsors, international competitors and the like. A nice semi bowl arrangement, bit like the Summit bump runs into the Falls Creek bowl. Bumps were the thing, twenty years ago. :)

Reactions: Ozgirl

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
from that old Plan.

13.4.6 Facilities at the base of the Ridge Chairlift
To improve the amenity at the base of the Ridge Chairlift for recreational skiers, competition skiers and spectators, it is proposed to provide a kiosk with toilets. This may be upgraded to a restaurant if the Link Road to this point is opened to vehicle access in winter.
Being at the lowest point in the resort, it would be necessary to pump sewage back to North Perisher via the Blue Cow Road.

Electricity is already on site and water could be supplied from Blue Cow. The provision of new services to the site is likely to be integrated with the provision of snowmaking down the Roller Coaster Run in Precinct 7, although other options may be available.

To improve the safety of the milling area near the base station, it is proposed to cover a section of the creek that runs parallel to Roller Coaster. This may be designed to enable the creek to be partly exposed during summer, as has been done with some other bridges in the resort (Refs. 29, 30).

In the future, it may be desirable also to provide limited parking in this area, but this depends on decisions with respect to the Smiggin Holes ñ Guthega Link Road (see Section 14.4.3).

Because of the limited area available, any parking is unlikely to be available for general visitor use, but may be used, for example, to provide outdoor broadcast facilities associated with major competition events and for drop-off and pick up shuttle services.
So 20 years later- that's govt bureaucracy for you. If $3 to 400 k can be spent on Kiandra Courthouse (which then burned down) then why not upgrade Link Rd to all seasons and put in a viewing/parking spot to watch the skiers in winter and flowers in summer. Might need a bit of an upgrade to Smiggs carpark to keep parkers safe from thru traffic etc

Reactions: Jacko4650 and easty

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
So 20 years later- that's govt bureaucracy for you. If $3 to 400 k can be spent on Kiandra Courthouse (which then burned down) then why not upgrade Link Rd to all seasons and put in a viewing/parking spot to watch the skiers in winter and flowers in summer. Might need a bit of an upgrade to Smiggs carpark to keep parkers safe from thru traffic etc
It would be a minimum of $2.5 million to seal the road before anything else was added.

Reactions: skifree

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
It would be a minimum of $2.5 million to seal the road before anything else was added.
That's only 6 courthouses. LOL. FWIW a back of the envelope calculation used to be $1 million per km for a 4 lane highway - but maybe that was when stamps were 50 cents. Link is about 5 km so 2021 cost is $0.5 mill /km but it should only be two lane. Hey may as well do the rest of Guthega Rd too.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
And for what benefit?
So I won't have to get dirt on my nice fourby as I swan around in it with its push button everything. Oh, there's some ice, I shall just press this button and maintain full traction -not. Also see 5.27 pm post above.

Xwing

One of Us
Jun 22, 2016
Vail as primarily a real estate company, have lost significant money due to covid and so this idea may well be further off than ever...may.

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
I've got terrain printouts, somewhere, that include new proposed lift and amenity infrastructure as part of Perisher's Master Plan...circa 2001. The ones that excited me the most was a proposed t-bar from Pleasant V. back up to Interceptor and a lift off the back of Blue Cow, allowing access to the other side of Blue Cow, toward Guthega.
Hmmmm.....now where are they, I wonder?
The pygmy possums canned them :p

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Should have been an 8 (IMO - I suspect it would be better in wind
Interesting to see Whistler/Vail replacing a 6 with a 8 on Crystal and the red quad with a 6. I think there are only 3 -4 8's in North America

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW
Interesting to see Whistler/Vail replacing a 6 with a 8 on Crystal and the red quad with a 6. I think there are only 3 -4 8's in North America
Aren't they replacing creek side 6 gondola with an 8 gondola. Red is going to a 6? Don't think they are building an 8 chair at whistler. They are at park city though.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Aren't they replacing creek side 6 gondola with an 8 gondola. Red is going to a 6? Don't think they are building an 8 chair at whistler. They are at park city though.
You are indeed correct.. Spending money there

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Is Perisher / Smiggins missing the boat with burgeoning MTB and summer activities in the region ? There are alot of commercial and club lodges that have done it tough in the last 2 years . im wondering if the perisher chamber of commerce and vail and governments could come together on this and help fill them up . The road to CP is really busy in summer season too surely the area could open up . Id love to enjoy a frothy with family and friends with lunch or evening dinner at the man or the smiggs pub out on the balcony on a lovely summer and autumn day and im sure im not the only one. Yes i know its all been done before and it was a dismal failure but times have most certainly changed

• Love
Reactions: Dropbear

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@kiter Perisher could become a summer hub but first it requires a village. Pretty much the only major ski resort in Australia without one. Bit of a planning oversight due to lack of planning.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Is Perisher / Smiggins missing the boat with burgeoning MTB and summer activities in the region ? There are alot of commercial and club lodges that have done it tough in the last 2 years . im wondering if the perisher chamber of commerce and vail and governments could come together on this and help fill them up . The road to CP is really busy in summer season too surely the area could open up . Id love to enjoy a frothy with family and friends with lunch or evening dinner at the man or the smiggs pub out on the balcony on a lovely summer and autumn day and im sure im not the only one. Yes i know its all been done before and it was a dismal failure but times have most certainly changed
This was discussed in the other thread. The consensus was that Perisher needs a central village and accomodation developed.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Operators like making heaps for 3 months and chilling on the coast for 9.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Or was it environmental concerns? Is the poo farm up to year round operations? Does the NPWS and or the Snowy Shire have restrictions on development up there in Perisher Valley? Land use restrictions?

Reality. Perisher is a shyte hole. If it wasn't for skiing, no one would go there. Even the blowflies avoid the place and go to Thredbo or Charlotte Pass instead.

Reactions: Chookfooter

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Unkind. Very .

you need some cheering up, grumpy bear...

Not grumpy at all. Have spent a bit of time in the area in summer over the years and the only thing appealing about Perisher in summer is when Eyre Cafe is open.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Key points to remember:

1) Concept Plan for village was approved including NPWS tick of approval many years ago
2) Leasing arrangements complicated and stopped progress (by all reports)
3) Sounds like Vail can't be bothered figuring out 2
4) Just like Vail can't be bothered with mtn biking.
5) Snowies Iconic Trail and the much loved Porcupine Rocks viewing platform concept will bring a little more life to summer in Perisher (to those lodges that could be bothered opening) but still no one will bother to build a village.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass