1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Perisher or Thredbo for third day skiing next week.

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Runamuk, Aug 5, 2019.

?

Third day skiing?

1. Perisher

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Thredbo

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

Tossing up between a third day at Perisher (have booked two already) or Thredbo. We're noobs, but hoping by day three we might be able to ski at Thredbo.

Not meaning to start a war of Perisher v Thredbo, but what do you lot reckon? Would be for wednesday the 14th.

2. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

If you have the flexibility to ski or board both, I would do it! Perisher is probably better set up for beginners (in my opinion!) with areas like Smiggins ideal in this respect. However, after two days there you can certainly try Thredbo where after tootling around Friday Flat you can head up to the Cruiser area (via the infamous Gunbarrel chairlift). I would strongly recommend lessons at both places, though, as they help not only with your confidence and technique, but to get your bearings. Have fun :)

Ted Harper and Runamuk like this.
  3. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

We have two days of lessons booked at Smiggins, might look at lessons for Thredbo too.

4. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo will be skiing top to bottom. If you are confidently skiing the greens, try it out.

Runamuk likes this.
  5. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

The hype is real, perisher is better :thumbs:

nezumi and southpaw like this.
  6. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Thredbo and Perisher are very different experiences and if you have the time, its always fun to be able to do both. If you wanted to stay at Perisher, you could always consider visiting somewhere away from Smiggins, like Blue Cow. Wherever you go, I always swear by lessons. I'm an advanced skier and I always get lessons when I first visit a resort, to both find my bearings and brush up on technique.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  7. Lady Penelope

Don’t listen to him, @Runamuk ! He has an agenda to keep those lovely Thredbo runs all to himself ;)

Sage Oya and Runamuk like this.
  8. Sage Oya

:eek::eek::eek:

:D:D:D

Runamuk likes this.
  9. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Has your mate found the missing ski yet?

10. Sage Oya

Haha no, and we haven’t stopped giving him a hard time about it.

11. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

Yeah from what I've heard Thredbo is a lot better once you can actually ski... I see what he did there...

12. Lady Penelope

Well, that’s a whole other debate! I have a season pass for Perisher but love popping over to Thredbo for a few days each season (the beauty of living in Canberra). I won’t go into the pros and cons of each; suffice to say they are both fantastic in their own way - but different (I love Thredbo for the longer, steeper runs and fantastic treeline/scenery, but Perisher has more terrain, variety (arguable), while the higher elevation generally means more reliable snow cover. Others will no doubt have their own opinions!). You really need to explore both and make up your own mind. As you progress (and hopefully return) you’ll gain a greater appreciation for the merits of both resorts.

Nidecker, Sage Oya and Runamuk like this.
  13. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

A friend who works as an instructor at Falls and Hakuba tells me that Thredbo is her go to in NSW. Definitely keen to see the different scenery. Would village trail be a bit much for day three noobs? Maybe the lesson at Thredbo is a good idea in addition to the two lessons at Smiggins?

14. Sage Oya

Should be ok, though part of the village trail is a narrow cat track below black sallees which can be a bit off putting for some.

Runamuk likes this.
  15. Sage Oya

Could always take the snowgums double up and come back down the supertrail. Doing so avoids having to deal with eagle way which is another narrow steep section not favored with beginners. The supertrail from black sallees down is fairly mellow.

#15 Sage Oya, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Runamuk likes this.
  16. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

The lady is keen on "ringing the bell" like I'm sure every clueless beginner is... So to get up there you take the Kossie express and ski over?

17. Sage Oya

Yes kosi express then the basin T bar and then Karels T bar.

Runamuk likes this.
  18. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

Thanks for that. The Mrs wants to have a late start Wednesday, as we will be at Perisher on the Tuesday night. Me on the other hand, I'm keen to get there early for maximum skiing! Still tossing up a lesson at Thredbo too, probably for the best. I reckon I'll be confident (and stupid enough) on day three, but she might take a little longer (even though she comes from a Norwegian family ha).

Sage Oya likes this.
  19. Sage Oya

Worth the effort to get to the top if the weather is nice as it’s a great spot for a photo.

Maybe try and ride some of the easy t bars at perisher to get acquainted if not already. Shouldn’t be a problem but if you can’t ride the t bar up from the basin your only options to leave the area are going down a black or hiking back up to the top of the kosi express.

20. Sage Oya

Early starts are always preferable imo, enjoy the best of it before the piste gets carved up. Being there midweek though it shouldn’t be too busy so you shouldn’t have too much trouble with a late arrival.

If you go on a weekend though you need to be in the car park by 8am unless you want to park in one of the outlying overflows or worst case out on alpine way.

21. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

See, that's the reason I'd be keen to skip a lesson on that day... but maybe I'm being a bit optimistic/overconfident, and should get that third lesson at Thredbo after the two at Smigs. Better book today though either way!

Sage Oya likes this.
  22. Sage Oya

If you get a lesson though you be using the snowsport lift lines. This means you’ll pretty much ski straight onto lifts, so you might actually get more skiing in with a lesson. I think the first ones start at 9:30am.

Runamuk likes this.
  23. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

And this is why I'm on this forum...

Sage Oya likes this.
  24. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

All booked in for a lesson and lifts for Wednesday week at Thredbo :D

Sage Oya likes this.
  25. Sage Oya

Enjoy! Don’t forget to grab some cinnamon donuts from the stand at Friday flat if you’re partial to sweet things.

Runamuk likes this.
  26. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi @Runamuk I can say I have taken a beginner on the village trail after 1 or 2 days skiing, and it went fine. This was from Gunbarrel, across the traverse road to the Catwalk and Village trail, down Sundowner and back to Friday Flat.

From the very top after ringing the bell should be ok too. A few navigation notes. First there is a "bonus" uphill XC section from the bell at the top of Karels. You really do have to skate or walk all the way up the hill for the easy way down, don't be tempted by the "easier" blue run trail exiting off to the left, it can be difficult.

Secondly, you'll want to take the back road of the Village Trail, behind and to the left of the Basin T-bar top station. This way is a bit hidden, but completely avoids the infamous Eagle Way top section of the Supertrail beneath the Kosci Express.

After going past the top of Snowgums, and coming to the end of the road emerging above the main piste of the Supertrail, you can either find the exit to the Catwalk road on the left (if you prefer the flatter route even if it's narrow) or just go down the main drag (a little steeper but lots more open)

Finally make sure you go to the *left* of the Snowgums lift mid station, and take the easier green run underneath the Snowgums lift. From there you can go left again to Friday Flat, or back right to the "milk run" section of the Supertrail and the village terminal. If you follow the crowds right and down at the Snowgums mid station, you'll have to contend with the steepest (and usually iciest) shot of the Supertrail.

Runamuk and Sage Oya like this.
  27. sbm_

Having said that, I think you've definitely made a terrible choice and please make sure to book all future trips to Perisher. Thredbo sucks! ;)

Runamuk and Sage Oya like this.
  28. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Try both. Decide for yourself which one you like.

Runamuk likes this.
  29. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

OK so if they have enough snow, the ride down from Karels, around behind Kosi Express avoids eagle (evil) way, you should look to ski the cat track all the way down off to the left of the main run, cut left at the bottom down to Friday Flat. This is all clearly marked on the map.

Probably the nicest skiing for a day 3 beginner is actually the Basin.

Could I suggest (as new skiers) you try cheep ass tuesdays sometime at Charlotte Pass. Its a great skiing experience, and genuinely, probably more enjoyable than Thredbo (or Perisher) while you are finding your feet, although Smiggins is pretty good too.

And finally, skiing steep and sketchy runs as a beginner will do you more harm than good. It discourages you from good (being forward on your skis) technique. See this all the time on the mountain, in adults and kids. Drives me crazy when I hear parents say their kid skied a black run. Spend plenty of time on Greens and maybe Blues learning good technique. There are no shortcuts, there are no natural skiers.

Runamuk likes this.
  30. Lady Penelope

Ahem. If I can get back to Perisher for a bit ... Enjoy your lessons. Smiggins, as I said earlier, is an excellent place to start with progression to some gentle blue runs if you feel confident enough. You can also begin on t bars there and have fun on the J bars (pomas). Then jump on the shuttle bus to Perisher. Other good green terrain includes Pretty Valley, Pleasant Valley (at Blue Cow), Happy Valley (lots of valleys), and of course Front Valley (at Perisher itself - rather crowded and a harder green run). Under no circumstances be tempted to ski Goat’s Gully, which is marked on the printed trail map as a green but which is definitely a blue run marked by carnage at the best of times. Mt Perisher is also off limits - harder blue terrain.

Ted Harper and Runamuk like this.
  31. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

Is the bus needed with the snow cover between smigs and perisher? I thought you could ski across?

32. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You certainly _can_ ski across (both directions) BUT the Link T (out of Smiggins) is fairly steep and has a few difficult pitches, as - to a lesser degree - is the Telemark T (to get from the valley between Smiggins and Perisher up into Perisher Front Valley).

Similarly skiing back to Smiggins, the run down past Telemark T (to ski out of Front Valley when skiing back to Smiggins, before crossing the creek and schlepping up to Piper T to ride back to the home trail at Smiggins) may also be a bit tricky for a beginner or otherwise less-confident skier.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  33. sbm_

That's a great suggestion actually. I'll agree, Charlottes is underrated and uncrowded (see, we even forgot it in this thread, going straight to the old T v P)

I dunno about this though. I think if you're falling on every turn, it's a harmful waste of time, but on the other hand, skiing blue groomers will mostly teach you to ski blue groomers! The dark skiing arts like kickturns, sideslipping, stepping stem turns etc still count as technique, and will get you down absolutely anything. And even for your standard turns, a steeper slope will force some technique, you will need to open up to make a turn.

Ultimately (IMO) you should learn technique to facilitate skiing, not ski to facilitate learning technique. The best skier is the one having the most fun - and I mean that both ways: if you're having fun you're skiing well, but on the other hand, if you have mastered all the technical tools at your disposal you can ski without limits and have a LOT of fun.

34. Runamuk

Runamuk Early Days

Thanks everyone for your tips! We ended up at Thredbo on the third day. We had a blast and are even thinking about another trip this season!

Oh yeah, and we totally get it now... Thredbo is terrible, don't ever go there! ;)