1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Perisher or Thredbo

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by salibap15, Feb 9, 2020.

1. salibap15

salibap15 First Runs

Hi all, I have only ever been skiing in Victoria or overseas so am wondering which way to go this winter Thredbo or Perisher? I'll be skiing with my daughter who is an intermediate skier. Interested in perspectives on this. Thanks in advance.

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher, plan to ski Monday to Friday.

Kimski, MarkV, DidSurfNowSki and 3 others like this.
  3. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Oh the great debate returns, there have been many threads about this over the years, but any chance to rehash it won't be missed.

Firstly when are you thinking of going and what do you like in terms of skiing? Do you want to stay on the hill or in Jindabyne? And where do ski in Vic?

nezumi, SMSkier and skifree like this.
  4. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Both - doing ridiculous dance now.

5. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

do you normally stay on the mountain? is that important to you? does your daughter need to be able to go back to accom while you do some extra runs? how is she (and you) on t-bars? what's prompted the decision to ski in nsw instead?

7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

8. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

perisher is better, go to perisher.

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I love thredbo. Go to Perisher

#9 gareth_oau, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  10. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Depends what ski suits and helmets.

Thredbo for village.

Perisher for more intermediate terrain.

Perisher is basically Merritts area at Thredbo, only much bigger.

zac150, Sbooker and LaNeige like this.
  11. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

If you’ve never skied either, do both on your trip and decide.
    Very easy to do if staying in Jindy but also very doable if staying in either Perisher or Thredbo as daytrips.
    As a vague rule of contentious thumb.
    Thredbo has more steeper, longer runs but is smaller and has a real village.
    Perisher is huge with shorter, more moderate runs and a sprawling feel to it.
    Both are good.

LMB, zac150, MarkV and 11 others like this.
  12. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Trying to be serious and non partisan for a moment. Which resort depends on what your preferences are. For instance a quick and rough run down of the big resorts in Victoria might be:
    • Falls Creek. The most reliable snow, great for intermediates, but with enough black runs to keep experts happy, especially in good snow when The Maze is open. Compact village with skiable streets. All lodges are ski in, ski out
    • Hotham. Heaven for experts, fairly good for intermediates, not great for beginners. Village split in two with 1 km gap between the halves. The access road can be quite "character building" in bad conditions.
    • Mt Buller. Close to Melbourne and the best all round mountain in Australia when there's good snow. But snow is often not great and when it is, the crowds can get pretty big. Better than average village layout.
    So, transferring that sort of quick and rough summary to the big resorts in NSW:
    • Thredbo. Very long runs, but can get slushy at the bottom. A fair bit of traversing between runs. Fairly good for all standards of skier. Compact village on a hillside, so it's a bit like Falls Creek but with a central shopping area and cleared roads. You have to walk up or down a hill to get to lifts from most lodges.
    • Perisher. Lots of short and medium runs and pretty good for intermediates, but with a good selection of black runs as well. If you prefer surface lifts to chairs, this is the place for you, although they have plenty of chairlifts too. Dispersed over a big area, so unlike other resorts, new people may get a bit lost. Terrible village layout.
    All the info you've given us about your preferences is that you're a Victorian and your daughter prefers intermediate runs. Based on that, I'd say that Perisher might be slightly better for you, although it as an extra hour's drive than Thredbo if you are coming from Victoria via Corryong.

zac150, Jonathan_P, K_Bird and 6 others like this.
  13. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Your preferred day at these two is very weather dependent. SOme days its definitely better to be at one or the other. Depends so much on cover, what the surface is like, visibilty, wind etc..

nfip and SMSkier like this.
  14. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Go to Thredbo. Put your skis in the lift queue the night before. Infact ...... take several pairs and place them at the base of every lift, blocking access to everyone else. Ensures you're first to ski every lift.

BTW ...... Dont worry about anyone moving your skis. It a Thredbo tradition to punch anyone in the mouth, if they touch your skis. I've been punched several times. It's a highlight of the trip to be Punched in the Mouth by a Thredbo Local who's skis are blocking the lift entry. Just love it.

Have a great time. :thumbs:

15. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

I'm someone who loves and skis both Thredbo and Perisher. I love them both for very different reasons and I 100% believe that they are both better mountains than each other, on different days. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Thredbo:
    • Very long runs, most of which are suitable for a good intermediate skier
    • Highly varied terrain in well structured areas, which are easy to move between - Merrits, Central Spur, The Basin, Crackenback, Friday Flat etc.
    • Good proper village, with nice shops and restaurants and a good atmosphere
    • More non skiing options if the snow isn't good
    • Gets slushy and tracked out at the bottom of the mountain, more often than not
    Perisher
    • Tons and tons of short to medium runs good for intermediates
    • Four different resorts with different offerings - Perisher, Blue Cow, Guthega and Smiggins
    • More surface lifts, better in the wind
    • More variety in the terrain
    • Terrible village layout (there isn't a proper village) and food options
    • Very spread out, very easy to get lost, lots of traversing
    Both of them are very different resorts. If you want a proper village and long runs - Thredbo is the go. If you are staying off snow in Jindy and want a different mountain to ski each day - pick Perisher.

Everyone here is happy to answer any more specific questions.

zac150, Jacko4650, Jonathan_P and 3 others like this.
  16. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo for Doughnuts
    Perisher for coffee

17. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

But the doughnuts will be cold by the time you get coffee.

18. gareth_oau

Thredbo provides a lot more apres options if you need a rest day or the weather is shit. In fact, I'd suggest Perisher provides zero

skull and J_busworth like this.
  19. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Ahem, skitube for doughnuts.

Ted Harper, nezumi and currawong like this.
  20. crackson

The Fukarwe Ski Club use perisher on zero vis days.

All day you hear people shouting 'We're the Fukarwe'.

zac150, Lady Penelope and Adricat like this.
  21. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Lodge membership has it's advantages.

Ted Harper and nfip like this.
  22. gareth_oau

ah a swimming pool, squash courts, gym and climbing wall as well eh?

23. chicski

As predicted....

zac150, nfip, aazz and 3 others like this.
  24. cold wombat

If I'm there, I'm there to ski.

nfip likes this.
  25. gareth_oau

But dont the lifts close at 4?

26. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

What time of season and how long are you going to be there?

27. chicski

Maybe at Thredbo

nfip likes this.
  28. cold wombat

Not all. The V8 is normally the last to close. If they can't keep that open it will be Mitchell. North Perisher peeps use it to get back to their ski-in ski-out lodges.

Membership has it's privileges.

;)

nfip and skifree like this.
  29. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Really, where does this reputation come from? Is it really any worse than any other Aus resort, especially Perisher, with the Guthega access and Pleasant Valley/Pretty Valley cross country adventures? I guess the one that people would do the most are the Gunbarrel-Merrits access and the Catwalk - and this year there'll be the gondola providing a fast option to avoid them.

Fwiw I vote to stay in Jindabyne and ski both, and why not a day trip to Charlotte Pass while you're at it. I'd lean towards Perisher for the majority of days.

zac150 likes this.
  30. Bogong

Yeah, you're probably right about a lot of traversing in Perisher. It's just that I was trying to write 2 or 3 line short and snappy summaries of the 'experience' of each resort so that people would read them. If I went into detail and wrote hundreds of words, few people would bother.

But both resorts have a lot more traversing between runs than anywhere in Victoria, the only place the original poster has skied. So from a Mexican perspective, they would notice the traverses at both Thredbo and Perisher.

#30 Bogong, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    currawong likes this.
  31. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Till you get to know them.

re closing times. Perisher starts shutting the further lifts about 15 minutes earlier than they used to :(
    I can't recall the exact times, but am annoyed by Eyre closing earlier than it did.

The V-8 though is 5pm. (on night skiing nights it opens up again a bit later - after they've done a quick groom)

Bogong likes this.
  32. Bogong

I'm actually surprised that I got away with those short summaries of the pros and cons of Australia's five big ski resorts. I though far more people would disagree with them.

33. SnowBound

SnowBound One of Us

I'm actually surprised this whole thread has been as behaved as it has...

zac150, J_busworth, nezumi and 3 others like this.
  34. crackson

Perisher car park is 10k's from perisher.

You know it's true.

Cattle train.

zac150 likes this.
  35. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There are some considered comments here from @J_busworth and @Bogong.

More of a consideration will be the amount of snow that has fallen by the time you get to ski here (NSW).

If its a marginal season then "generally" you would ski Perisher, they just have way better snowmaking infrastructure at a way better altitude that Thredbo.
    Thredbo snowmaking is more about extending the runs to a lower (warmer) altitude, rather than creating quality skiable runs. The snowmaking areas at Thredbo are often rock hard with death cookies in the morning and slushy hard work in the afternoons.

The good skiing at Thredbo is at a similar altitude as Perisher, hence similar length runs to Perisher. eg: Basin Antons Sponars etc.

Something else to consider is that Perisher is something like 4 X the skiable land area than Thredbo, and that includes much of Thredbo that opens at best rarely, and only mid season when there is good snow. People often forget / fail to understand this when they say there is lots of traversing at Perisher. There is not really, its just a BIG place relative to other Aussie resorts.

All that said, on those days when Thredbo is good, its bloody awesome, probably rivals Hotham.

edit: didn't see "skiing with daughter" hmmm possibly would lean toward Perisher, for the variety?

36. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Later closing times has caught me out skiing back to Guthega when Interceptor stopped at 3:45 (I swear it used to run as late as 4:15, or at least 4). Eyre and Mt P Double are now 4 instead of 4:15, International and Mt P triple are now 3:30 instead of 3:45. I still think the worst change was moving Pleasant Valley to 4 and Brumby to 4:15. Those should really go back to 4:15 and 4:30.

The traversing isn't too bad at either. At Thredbo the biggest issues are "The Traverse" between the top of the Gunbarrell and either Central Spur or Merritts or Eagle "Evil" Way at the top of the Kosciuszko Express. At Perisher the trails that link the four resorts (in particular from the top of Perisher Quad to Blue Cow and return) are long traverses, but can be easily avoided if one knows how.

Both resorts are great and I'm sure OP will enjoy whichever one they pick.

37. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

Wow i didnt ski perisher last year - leichhardt closing at 330 and the triple closing at 3pm (the double says 4pm, but probably on demand as usual).

38. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've always wondered why the traverse reputation. There is really not much need for it. The Merritts-Gunbarrell-Village Trail cat track to Supertrail is a long awkward set up but you don't actually need to do it. Take Ballroom into Dream Run (ok ok up until this years snowmaking not always a great choice :p) down to Gunbarrell and then ski the Central Spur t's to get across - a nice mix of intermediate cruising that anybody who can do Cruiser can do. The only traverse then is the Village trail cat track, which actually does not involve any traversing or pushing as it's grade is set pretty well/consistent as long as you take the first hump with some speed - or you could just take Conrod Straight off Sponars to avoid that. I suppose exiting GCB involves a bigger traverse than anything at Perisher but that is a positive for harder to access advanced/off piste terrain. I think the reason people end up traversing Thredbo is they pick and choose the terrain they want to ski and take the long traverses to link them up and ignore all the terrain in between. I've watched multiple times in action with people I've skied complaining about Thredbo's traverses and then we all just traverse right on past a bunch of lifts to get to the run of choice on the other side of the hill. Yo Yo!

Also agree on the stay in Jindy and try them all out philosophy!

39. BlueHue

It's actually a pretty good summary, despite my disagreeance on the need to for a 'fair bit of traversing' at Thredbo!

40. sbm_

@BlueHue I think the Merritts Gondola will be great for avoiding some of the worst cat track chokes.

For a beginner, from Friday Flat -> ride Gunbarrel -> traverse to Merritts -> ski Merritts -> download on Gondola to Friday Flat.

To get from one side of the mountain to the other, the gondola mid station will actually be handy I think. Instead of skiing the traverse across central spur and the Catwalk, instead ski High Noon and download on the gondola to Valley Terminal. To go the other way, just get on the Gondola and ride it as far as you want.

BlueHue likes this.
  41. BlueHue

Yes definitely, could change the way the mountain is skied for many looking at it like that.

42. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

how is is different to the old merritts chair?

43. sbm_

Firstly, it's a much faster detachable lift. Secondly, the new mid-station is in a more accessible spot. It looks like you'll be able to get to it from the top of the Friday Flat chair as well as from High Noon.

skull likes this.
  44. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

In other words, if you know Thredbo you can avoid traverses.

Insert Perisher. Rinse and repeat

zac150, Dippo, kaegee and 2 others like this.
  45. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, the midstation will be more used than the old one.

Also it gets from VT to Merritts at warp speed, 6mins.

BlueHue likes this.
  46. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Don’t rely on the app and lift times currently displayed, particularly Leichhardt. I think that reflects times at the end of last season’s extended period.

Typically, in Winter Leichhardt is a 4:30 closure. If not, and without the rope tow running, a lot of folks have limited egress from Mt P in the case of Leichhardt not running.

Plus the triple does not normally close at 3:00 pm.

Unless there are sneaky changes for the upcoming season.......

cornice11 likes this.
  47. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

there are very few T-bars left in vic. I think that can be a shock for Vic skiers heading to nsw for the first time

Bogong likes this.
  48. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If one is going to play at Perisher they need to drive up and not take the tube. It’s so frustrating getting stuck in Perisher traffic on my way to Thredbo.

49. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You're not really traversing at Perisher. Its more akin to multiple fall lines and long sweeping cat tracks.
    More often at Perisher you're going somewhere.

50. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

They should get to Baw Baw for some practice before heading north.

Bogong likes this.