Advice needed Perisher to Blue Cow

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by gunlomboy, Jul 5, 2018.

1. gunlomboy

gunlomboy First Runs

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding skiing from Perisher to Blue Cow and back. We are a family of four, all fairly reasonable skiers, able to manage moderate blue runs. We have skied at Perisher a few times but have mainly stayed on the slopes around Pretty Valley and Pleasant Valley, but would like to stretch our legs a bit this year and try Blue Cow (but I don't want to get stranded with two kids!)

My questions are:

1. If we head off down the Rollercoaster from the bottom of Pleasant Valley, how do we get back to Perisher, or at least back to the bottom of the Pleasant Valley chair. I assume we ride up on the Ridge Quad Chair, then ski down See Forever .... is that right?

2. Are the blue runs at Blue Cow nice and wide? Not too challenging? Our kids need width for their turns! Are there any blue runs we should avoid?

3. I assume we can ride the lifts at Blue Cow on a Perisher pass?

Many thanks.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

From the top of Pleasant Valley Chair hang a left. It is a very moderately graded cat track back to Pretty Valley. Scariest bit is dodging beginners.

3. gunlomboy

gunlomboy First Runs

Thanks. What about from Blue Cow (the top of the Ridge Quad) back to Perisher?

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Get to the top of Pleasant Valley from wherever you are in Blue Cow. Follow earlier instructions. Or ride the Tube.

10 minutes looking at a trail map might be a good plan.

Ted Harper likes this.
  5. J_busworth

J_busworth Hard Yards

The Blue Runs over at Blue Cow typically are quite wide and not too difficult. Excellerator and Zails can be quite steep and icy at times so best avoid if you want to keep to easy blues. Side Saddle and Roller Coaster are both nice, wide and not too challenging.

You theoretically can get back from the top of Ridge right down to Pleasant Valley, however if is a bit complicated. You need to ski down Side Saddle, past the bottom of Terminal Quad and cut through the trees. If Terminal Quad is open, ride up that and ski down one of the runs next to Brumby T-Bar, much easier that way.

You certainly can use your Perisher lift pass at Blue Cow.

6. B-Dub

B-Dub Hard Yards

From bottom of Rollercoaster, go up the Ridge Quad - its only blue runs from there but Side Saddle is your best bet down to Terminal Quad (its easier than Zali's). From the top of Terminal Quad you can follow Amaroo back down to bottom of Pleasant Valley. then like Legs Akimbo said turn left from the top of Pleasant Valley and follow the signs back to Perisher.

If all else fails jump on the ski tube from Blue Cow terminal back to perisher - its free.

Snowfi and SnowRabbit like this.
  7. gunlomboy

gunlomboy First Runs

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I didn't know that the Skitube was free from Blue Cow to Perisher!

8. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

It's also generally quicker... and doesn't close at 5:00pm.

9. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Depending on your family’s ability, the lower part of Rollercoaster and Excellerator are more challenging (harder blue runs). Sidesaddle is easier than Zalis (both runs exit from the top of the Ridge chair), but at the moment due to limited cover this run is quite narrow. The blue run next to the Brumby T Bar (Cold Shoulder) isn’t too difficult and has some nice jumps and bumps for the kids. If you can, head to Guthega (from the top of Early Starter Double Chair by Blue Cow terminal, ski down and head left at the signs). The blue runs over there are lovely, wide, and cruisy while the scenery is spectacular on a good day. Just not a place to be when there’s high wind and/or a blizzard. Easy 5 minute cruise between Blue Cow and Guthega.

IAB and Ted Harper like this.