Perisher To Guthega

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Hey guys, how do I go about skiing from perisher to guthega and how long will it take me?
Several options, depending on the time of day (and the amount of snow and lifts operating). Assume mid-season and everything open. Assuming you are starting in Front Valley and want to end up at the bottom of Freedom Chair in Guthega

First thing in the morning, up the V8, over the back of Front Valley and down past the bottom of Pretty Valley and around to Interceptor. Up Interceptor then down past the bottom of Pleasant Valley and up Brumby T (or optionally down Rollercoaster and up the Ridge but obviously that adds a lot of time). From the top of Brumby, go straight ahead past the train station and Blue Cow beginner area then beneath the Early Starter chair (the turn is well signposted) and across the desert and down past the bottom of Mother-in-Law run at Guthega and follow the poles down to the bottom of the Freedom chair (or maintain speed to cross the meadows at Guthega and around to the bottom of Blue Calf T).

Later in the day, start with taking the main Perisher quad to the top, off to the right, around the track to the top of Pleasant Valley, then go left down to Guthega via Pleasant View - again you will end up at the bottom of Freedom chair (just this time approaching from the other side of the creek).

how long it takes depends on how quickly you ski ;)

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Top of quad, go right & follow the only trail until you cross under another quad, keep going to the trail next to the fence, turn right, then take first left. You’ll end up at bottom of Guthega quad, which might be signposted Freedom chair.

40 minutes first trip, each one after will be well quicker.

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
:p:)

upload_2021-5-10_7-32-4.png

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
I love that "cross country" tour from front valley to guthega. There are so many ways to get over there, my preferred tour from Front Valley is:
Quad to Mid-station
Drop into Pretty Valley via Snake Trails
Out the bottom Pretty Valley towards Interceptor Quad
Top of Interceptor into Pleasant Valley via Link3 (straight ahead from offload)
Pleasant Valley Quad to top
Pleasant View trail all the way to Freedom Quad in Guthega

This is a cruisy green run route and takes about 45 mins depending on queues

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Top of Mt P..... then out of bounds to the saddle, over to Little Paralyser, then up to Paralyser trig. Ski down the ridge line towards the river but swing right and down to the back of The Burning Log. If you have not gotten stuck in the creek then skin up to the lift. :out:

Or as the others have pointed out, follow the signs. It’s straight forward. Time of day and when you would be doing it are just as important. Guthega can be a lift queue trap when it’s busy.

Enjoy. It’s fun :thumbs:.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Guthega is a fantastic place to visit as part of the cross country Alpine skiing.

Then you'll leave.

No chips

The Inn is not serving lunch to the public I hear.
Cafe re-opening in the ski centre tho.
Oh. and the Burning Bog if you dare !
2. Guthega updates Perisher Vail has provided two additional pieces of advice specific to Guthega: 1. We will not be offering ski or snowboard rental from the Guthega Mountain Centre this season and will review whether it is offered in future seasons due to extremely low patronage in prior years. We would appreciate if Guthega accommodation premises could advise their guests to obtain ski and snowboard rental prior to arriving in Guthega. 2. We are working towards reopening the Café in the Guthega Mountain Centre for the 2021 season to improve access to F&B and toilets in Guthega with the Guthega Alpine Inn no longer open to outside guests for lunch

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Top of Mt P..... then out of bounds to the saddle, over to Little Paralyser, then up to Paralyser trig. Ski down the ridge line towards the river but swing right and down to the back of The Burning Log. If you have not gotten stuck in the creek then skin up to the lift. :out:

Or as the others have pointed out, follow the signs. It’s straight forward. Time of day and when you would be doing it are just as important. Guthega can be a lift queue trap when it’s busy.

:emoji_arrow_up:

Is why I concluded my directions with an appropriate level of difficulty disclaimer LOL

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country

or down to Illawong, across the suspension bridge.
head up the east ridge......

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
LInk-T Bar
Smiggins Escape to top of Piper
Turn right at top of Piper, down to Interceptor
Interceptor Quad

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
LInk-T Bar
Interceptor Quad

You can make interceptor from Smiggins .
No need to use Piper.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
My fave way to get to Guthega is Quad to top of P.
High traverse.
Then across the top of Pleasant to View.
Hopefully there is enough snow to groom multiple runs.
I find that high traverse is always an ice skating trail, scares the willies out me.

PowWow

Addicted
Aug 26, 2010
Several options, depending on the time of day (and the amount of snow and lifts operating). Assume mid-season and everything open. Assuming you are starting in Front Valley and want to end up at the bottom of Freedom Chair in Guthega

First thing in the morning, up the V8, over the back of Front Valley and down past the bottom of Pretty Valley and around to Interceptor. Up Interceptor then down past the bottom of Pleasant Valley and up Brumby T (or optionally down Rollercoaster and up the Ridge but obviously that adds a lot of time). From the top of Brumby, go straight ahead past the train station and Blue Cow beginner area then beneath the Early Starter chair (the turn is well signposted) and across the desert and down past the bottom of Mother-in-Law run at Guthega and follow the poles down to the bottom of the Freedom chair (or maintain speed to cross the meadows at Guthega and around to the bottom of Blue Calf T).

Later in the day, start with taking the main Perisher quad to the top, off to the right, around the track to the top of Pleasant Valley, then go left down to Guthega via Pleasant View - again you will end up at the bottom of Freedom chair (just this time approaching from the other side of the creek).

how long it takes depends on how quickly you ski ;)
Only do the quad way if you're desperate!

Reactions: NightSky

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Only do the quad way if you're desperate!
I pretty much never go the quad way - actually I pretty much never catch the quad unless I can see there is nobody in the queue maze at all - and I generally am going straight from Smiggins to Guthega.

So my route for that (again given the proviso of reasonable snow cover, everything open, nothing in wind hold):

* Up the Duplex
* Hike to the top of the hill (to the left of the Duplex) and clip into my bindings when I get to the first tree
* Skate around the track that the groomer uses to get to the top of the Duplex (and check the snow conditions at Blue Cow) to cross the unload area of the Link T - at speed, to avoid poling/skating.
* Continue around the track to cross under near the top of Piper T.
* Go right and tuck to carry warp speed to the bottom of Interceptor (again to avoid any poling/skating/side-stepping).
* Up Interceptor
* Down the steep trail to the right and bomb through to Brumby T.
* Up Brumby, straight ahead under Terminal Quad, across the beginner area and take the track under Early Starter across the desert towards Guthega.
* After the bottom of the Screw, keep right to use the old “middle traverse” (rather than taking the low traverse or the new track they groom that runs you below the bottom of Karl’s) past where the old (yes I’m a long time Guthega person) “powder valley rope tow” bottom concrete block was to the middle of the Meadows (well above the load for the Freedom chair). Carry “adequate” speed ;)
* Across the meadows and down around towards Blue Calf. Assuming you have “adequate” speed, turn right off the track (up the steep hill) just before the last tree on your right before you get in sight of Burning Log and launch up that steep slope.
* Across the Calf T above the load - and above all the people who followed the actual trail around the last bit - and into the queue line for the Calf.

Doesn’t take very long ;)

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
if not by tube, then...up v8, down into the chute, pass pretty valley load area, head to interceptor, up interceptor, down (blue or green run...can't remember names) into pleasant valley, up brumby, skate towards BC terminal, chuck a right, down to guthega turnoff (on left), tuck for as long as you can last...keep going....keep going......nearly there.....and you're at bottom of freedom.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
But....why OP?? what's there that has caught your fancy so much that you ask weeks before season opening??

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
LInk-T Bar
Interceptor Quad

There is a way with only two lifts but it requires the creek below ridge to be covered (if Devil's Playground is open it's doable).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass