1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher Volunteer Ski Patrol

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Outlooker, May 28, 2007.

1. Outlooker

Outlooker Addicted

Perisher Volunteer Ski Patrol are always looking for new members and in 2007 will be running four ski tests over the season for new applicants.

Details on the criterea, format and dates of the tests can be found on our website.

Perisher Volunteer Ski Patrol

For details on other Australian patrols please go to the Australian Ski Patrol Association website on: ASPA

#1 Outlooker, May 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

tempting, although I don't think so as I doubt I could handle the first aid part of it. One of your members told me too many war stories a few years back [​IMG]

#2 D-eye, May 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. TB

TB First Runs

Curious-Read the criteria and would say I could manage that (hate hate hate crud but)- how "good" a skier do you really need to be-is it really competitive? I consider myself an OK skier (this means I do OK but see people that ski certain areas better than me every day-more angulation required!!!)

If I did this I would treat this as a learning opportunity-there is no way Im going to be selected at instructor school-ever. Am I kidding myself

4. Outlooker

Outlooker Addicted

TB - Skiing ability is an important requirement as you not only need to access all areas of the mountain safely but you may also need to sled patients down some difficult terrain. If you are in PB it may be an idea to speak to one of the volunteer patrollers and get them to have a quick accessment of how you ski.

5. skicouple

skicouple Hard Yards

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age limit?
    We have a daughter who would love to do this, she is only 16 tho.

6. jt-ski

jt-ski One of Us

She can join patrol at 16 as a junior patroller. Can't do much though until she is 18 by way of solo-patrolling.

She can get trained up though and punch through her traineeship when she turns 18. Its a big commitment to undertake in a HSC year mind you.

7. skicouple

skicouple Hard Yards

Thanks jt-ski,

Can she do it on a part time basis or is it on a roster only.

8. Jamoe

Jamoe First Runs

provided that I pass the test and get through the induction, what sort of time commitments will I have to make? being Sydney based, being a volunteer could be cost-prohibitive!

9. jt-ski

jt-ski One of Us

skicouple - the perisher volly's work on a point system. You need to acrue 20 points per season. A day is worth so many points. Ie sat/sun =1 point, mon/friday = 2 points, tues/wed/thurs = 3 points. There is no set roster, though I'm sure they like to know when your turning up.

Regarding time commitments, I'll be honest, the time commitment is large and it is hard work. There is a lot to learn in becoming a patroller, but it can also be very rewarding. Allow around two seasons averaging about 10 - 15 days a season to get your traineeship done. You can do it in one season but you'll be spending a lot of time down there and may find a few stumbling blocks in your progress. Be prepared to not get a lot of skiing in this time as the focus will be on medical and sled training, although you do get to ski a fair bit.

The best way to go about it is to spend a full week down there patrolling and training, then a few weekends later in the season. The resort is a different place mid-week as opposed to weekends. Try find a nice senior patroller who is happy to take you as their trainee. Then spend the day with them and they'll give you a good mix of skiing and training and will also impart some war stories to let you know what your in for.
    Don't pay attention to the politics and some of the ego's and come in with an open mind ready to learn.

Its an awesome experience and the best job in the world bar none.

10. aquafelix

aquafelix First Runs

Volley patrol is good fun and very rewarding

11. fizzymax

fizzymax First Runs

I'm tempted - If I was living down there I'd be in like a shot.

12. skiman22

skiman22 First Runs

sound s tempting

13. Thunda

Thunda First Runs

Have done a lot of First Aid training and would love to do it myself, but I just wouldn't get enough time off work. And then there are family commitments.