1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Perisher Weekend with Kids

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Aussie_With_Kids, May 11, 2014.

1. Aussie_With_Kids

Aussie_With_Kids Hard Yards

Hi,

We skied Thredbo a couple of times last season, have also skied Hotham, this year we'd like to try Perisher. I'm finding it difficult to plan our trip, hoping someone on here can help.

Background info: travelling with hubby and 3 kids (9, 7, 5). We are around level 3/4, older kids are similar. We plan to stay in Jindy arriving on a Friday night and would like to ski Sat, Sun. We will have all of our gear with us.

Questions:
    1. Best way to get on the mountain (drive, ski tube?).
    2. If driving, where to park? Priority is to get the kids to ski school in the morning on time so that we can get to a lesson, which we figure will help us get our bearings (although this may not be necessary?)
    3. Where do we need to be for lessons?
    4. Are there lockers near kids ski school area for storing snow boots etc?

Thanks in advance for any tips, I'm finding the sheer size of Perisher a little overwhelming so any practical advice greatly appreciated!

2. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

To decide between driving all the way and catching the ski tube you need to find out where your lessons will be and compare costs.

If you drive you will park at either Smiggins or the main car park at Perisher. Which one depends on where your lessons are.

If your lessons are at Smiggins you will probably want to drive.

Look at the Perisher website under lessons and hire to see your options.

3. Aussie_With_Kids

Thanks for the quick reply. Smiggins looks like a good option, although it sounds like it's pitched at beginners. Would we be too restricted there (eldest daughter is parallel skiing, just)?

4. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse Ski Pass: Gold

Ok context first, I have four kids aged 7 to 13, and we have skied Perisher every year since 2007. We always stay in Jindy. We ski all day and tend to be a little budget conscious. We do however spend the money on ski school, because unlike fancy accommodation (which we don't see in the daylight) we definitely can see the benefit in lessons for our kids.

So now that you know where I'm coming from, here are my answers:

1. Driving is soooo much better than that bloody tube. Buy the annual national parks pass if you're there for enough days to warrant it. With kids the issue with the skitube is walking with all your gear to the station, getting all your kids onto the train at the busiest time of the morning with gear and when you finally arrive your no closer than all the people in the Carpark. If snow is good parking at Smiggins is good but beware the queue in the morning for the link Tbar if you don't intend to ski Smiggins in the morning. Parking at Guthega is great on a day that you don't have lessons (it's a bit further to drive but the crowd takes a while to ski across). If you get caught with chains it will work out to be as slow as the tube, every other day driving is faster by a large margin.

Pack some drinks and snacks in the car so the kids have an afternoon tea snack on the drive to Jindy.

2. Parking will probably be best at Perisher unless snow is good at Smiggins and your kids lessons are at Smiggins. If you aim to be on mountain for lessons you should get a reasonably good park. We always arrive around 8.30 and have never had to park down the road. Invest in some ski straps to help carry the gear.

3. Lessons for kids are either at Perisher or Smiggins, but don't commit to Smiggins until you know the resorts are interlinked.

4. Lockers are at the Perisher centre and I think in the main building at Smiggs. We've never used them but both would be close to your kids lessons.

Have fun.

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

In a decent season you can ski from Smiggins to Perisher. 2 T bars gets you to Front Valley, which is the base of Perisher. I'm not sure how that works for lessons - there are lessons in Smiggins but they may only be for beginners From the days I spent wrangling a kid Smiggins has the huge advantage that you park a lot closer to the lifts than you do at Perisher. A much shorter walk.

If cost is an issue, with that number of people, driving is much cheaper than the Tube. Entry is per car driving but per person on the Tube. On the other hand you don't have to worry about chains using the Tube.

Have a read of this http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Perisher

6. MarkGC

Oh I just noticed the weekend bit, in that case the skitube is a little bit better as the Carpark is fuller on weekends and there is more traffic. I still would argue that driving wins hands down.

piolet likes this.
  7. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I can't really help with Perisher but can highly recommend this - we put a box with some mandarins, poppers, mini chip packets and some little bits of choccie in the car so that the kids (and us) are not too crankyhungytired for the return drive. It really helps.

We also have a plastic bucket (one of those beach/laundry things) for each family member in the back of the station wagon. Kids get told to drop all their boots/gear/etc in these. Makes for a much easier control of a billion things when everyone is tired.

piolet likes this.
  8. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The locker area is wedged in a little area between the demo ski/board/boot shop and the ticketing area on the lower ground level .If you walk over from the skitube exit area it is right there as you walk into the undercover area.(Look for the toilets sign)They have small lockers suitable for a couple of pairs of adult boots and small backpack. Blue Cow has a similar area on the skitube station.
    If it is all linked Blue Cow may be a better option as less walking is required .You pretty well get of the skitube walk 10 metres and strap on the skis and of you go,The food areas are on the next level above the skitube at Blue Cow.
    Blue Cow is at the top of the mountain and you ski down to the lift loading areas, they also do most of the beginner lessons there, and it has good easy access to Guthega.
    Blue Cow access is via the skitube only, you catch the train to Perisher, get out there on the right hand side doors walk 2 metres and get on the train on the other side of the platform.

#8 WaitAwhile, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Ted Harper likes this.
  9. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Don't worry in the slightest about Smiggin being limiting. It's got plenty to keep you happy for warm up laps in the morning or if the weather closes in and you want to be skiing close to the car to make pack up easier with the kids.

In all the years of Perisher trips I'd never bothered with Smiggin Holes till our last trip there. I was pleasantly surprised. Great beginner & intermediate family location.

Ted Harper and piolet like this.
  10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I'm with Mark.

You have to load all the gear into and out of the car whether you drive or tube, so you may as well drive all the way.

On top of that, you can take more gear with you and leave some in the car for later if needed.

You can even pack lunch if you dont want to pay for mountain food.

Just make sure you leave Jindy early enough so you arent parked half way down the mountain

11. MarkGC

I dont think they run the kids program at Blue Cow though. They have lessons but in the last few years the kids groups were Periher or Smiggs only.

12. WaitAwhile

If the snow cover is really good and you have children that just disappear??? Smiggins is good as they cannot get into much trouble. All the runs go to the same area, It's in a bowl and all the runs are pretty easy.
    Saying that it does suffer in bad seasons and you are a bit trapped once you are there.
    If you want to move around a bit then its either Perisher or Blue Cow.
    Even in late August,early September, cars can be parked on the side of the road down past Smiggins on Weekends, so get there early.

#12 WaitAwhile, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  13. cold wombat

For sure don't get up the hill late if you're driving, especially on a weekend. Parking gets diabolically bad.

14. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Driving to the ski tube from Jindabyne won't save much as you still have to pay for each person on the tube.
    Its 20km from Jindy to the ski tube and only 30km from Jindy to Smiggins - You are still driving almost as much to the tube as you do to Smiggins.

The Smiggins car park is right at the bottom of the slopes. The parking spots closest to the ski slope are less than 30 metres away and the spots furthest from the snow are less than 80 metres away. The closest parking spot at Front Valley to the ski slope is over 200 metres away and the carp park is almost 300 metres wide. At the end of the day when your tired and facing a walk back to the car a short walk is always better.

The building between the carpark and the J bars has a cafe and toilets - nowhere else are toilets that close to the cars.

What I like best about Smiggins is its a bowl that gets progressively more challenging as you move around it from the j bars at the north-east end to the Link t-bar at the south-west end. We love Smiggins almost as much as the double blue runs on Mt P & Blue Cow. There have been times we have spent the whole day there just switching from one end to the other trying different lines almost every run.
    When its windy, Smiggins is more sheltered than the rest of the resort.

Smiggins is generally less crowded on the slopes at the start and the end of the day and its great to ski up to lift close at 5pm.
    Usually we start the day there, then if the link trails are open use the Link T-bar ski across to the Interceptor Chair then from the top of Interceptor down Pleasant Valley. You can the take the Brumby T to the top of Blue Cow, or ski down Roller Coaster to the Ridge Quad - which is what we always do.

If the link trails aren't open there is a free shuttle bus that picks up & drops off just in front of the Smiggins hotel and goes right to the door of the ski tube terminal - Perisher to Blue Cow is included in your mountain pass. This is the best way to get back to Smiggins - especially in the afternoon when you are tired.

We only park at Front Valley if Smiggins is closed. Even then I think it might be better to park at Smiggins and use the shuttle bus.

Ted Harper likes this.
  15. cold wombat

This. Nothing is cheap at Perisher. Especially with a family.

16. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing is cheap at Aussie snow resorts period.
    Packed lunches would have to be one of the easiest and mist effective ways to reduce costs

17. blutek

blutek One of Us

When leaving Jindy on a Saturday morning - there will be heavy traffic.
    Chains may be required from Wilsons Valley (if not AWD/4WD).
    Carparks will fill, & cars will be parked on the access road & occassionaly back in the chain bay at Prussian Creek (with shuttle bus service). School holiday parking will be worst.
    Last season, kids ski school was at Smigs.
    But worth the effort.

18. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Saturday morning. You leave jindy by 7.20am.No exception

piolet likes this.
  19. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Pfft......... By 7:20, I'm half way through my big breakfast in the Perisher Centre.

On busy weekends. Every additional minute after 7:15am that you leave Jindy. Will cost you 10 on the mountain.

Drive up. Get there early. You'll get Rockstar parking beside Perisher Centre. Sort yourselves out, well before lifts and lessons opening.

20. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Young kids astro....

21. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

In tents.

22. Aussie_With_Kids

Thanks so much everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it. I had no idea that traffic/parking was so bad, and the reality is that we are unlikely to be out the door at 7.20. I think it might be time to look at on-mountain accommodation...

JoeKing likes this.
  23. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Be prepared for big bikkies price wise..
    with kids... something like the "manor" at Perisher is really good.
    Virtually on the slopes, decent food , dinners etc.

24. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

assuming you can afford the extra, then on-mouintain is a godsend when you have kids.

It really does add two to three hours per day of enjoyment time to your overall schedule

25. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah and no...depends on the time of year-season.
    Bank Holiday in August, after a dump , for sure, other times... not so much

For the record, re smiggs etc.
    Sometimes it takes as long to get from smiggs to Perisher around 2 kays at most (due to traffic) as it does from JIndabyne to Smiigs..

26. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

I know it's not Perisher but ...Charlotte Pass is great with younger kids. Relatively uncrowded,Safe, a big bowl pretty much all finish back at same place . We did a few years there a while back. Fun beginner and intermediate groomers with a bit of side country off the lifts. (BC heaven for the more specifically equipped). Awesome opportunities on a powder day. Bit more effort to get there but once the oversnow leaves Mt P behind you're in your own world. Biggest downfall tho is very limited snowmaking if it's not a good year. Big plus used to be no mobile phone service ...

27. blutek

blutek One of Us

There is lodge accomodation at Perisher & Smigs.
    Cheapest commercial place would be the Ski Rider at Wilsons Valley. It runs it's own bus.

28. Donza

Donza Pool Room

stay at ski rider.... should just stay at JIndy IMO

Astro66 likes this.
  29. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

30. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

Sponnars Chalet is only a few Km from Perisher/Smiggins (less time to the slopes), facilities are, a large heated indoor swimming pool, games room and Bar, large ensuite rooms, and free return bus to Perisher. On the occasions I have been there the food was also excellent. Its generally about the same price as good Jindy accommodation. I have stayed at Ski rider as well, but for younger families I would rate Sponnars as far better and more kid friendly. It also has a great family social atmosphere in the evenings. Its elevation is about 1500m so is often above snow line in August (always use to be).
    If you are looking at going peak season or July school hols then you may have difficulty finding what you want as these times are the busiest and get booked out quickly.
    For a young Family I would only be using ski tube if staying for 5 days or more on snow at Perisher or C/Pass.
    If you have the coin I could recommend Perisher Manor, its at a great location, has fine food, but may not suit a young family as its quite a posh Hotel and has more of an ambience than an atmosphere if you get my drift.
    Ironically I recommend you try lunch at the manor, it has an excellent and very affordable menu, where you eat in warm, dry, quiet and comfortable surrounds and looked after by attentive staff, all for about the same price as a burger, chips and coke in the Perisher centre or next door at the pub.

31. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

The Smiggins Hotel & some of the other Smiggins lodges have on site parking.
    Most of them are a little cheaper than the ones in Perisher valley and all are close to the ski slopes

32. Nowada

Nowada Addicted

If you stay in Smiggins make sure you book a car space with your lodge at time of booking as they are limited. The main car park is 'NO PARKING' overnight, overflow parking is at Sponnars. If the linking lifts to Perisher are not operating there is always the free bus. Smiggins is great for beginners, but if you got bored with Merrits while at Thredbo you will need to get over to Perisher. The best "intermediate"runs at Smiggs and linking lifts to Perisher are from T bars, this may not be a problem for you but you may need to know this with young kids.
    Snowy gums is my pick of the Smiggins lodges, but Smiggins hotel is great for kids as it is usually ski in/out by mid July to late August.

33. Chrispy

Chrispy Hard Yards

Hi guys, does anybody know if advance bookings are required for the Perisher all day kids ski school during Qld September school holidays.

We are a family with three boys 8, 10 & 12 years old are planning our second snow holiday. We will be travelling down from Brisbane for the first week of the Qld school holidays 22 - 26 September, last year we stayed the week prior to the September school holidays and simply booked the kids into ski school on the "day" without issue.

I have read elsewhere in this forum that the kids all day ski school can book out on occasion.

My questions:
    • Is it critical to pre book the ski school during the September Qld school holidays?
    • Would we be safe to wait and confirm weather conditions and book maybe 7-8 days prior to our dates?

34. WaitAwhile

My sister came down to Perisher with 2 ten year olds and 3 of their friends for the first week of the NSW holidays in Sept and tried to book a instructor last minute,none available and no spots available in group lessons.

35. WaitAwhile

Apparently thousands of school kids from Qld come down on those dates,all booked with lessons.

36. Chrispy

Chrispy Hard Yards

Hmmmm, sounds like I should have taken advantage of the recent 72 hour sale and pre booked then, taking pot luck on the weather..........

Thank you for the info.