NSW/ACT Persistent Easterly Trough followed by inland trough March 17-24, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Somewhere between 50,000ML/day to 100,000ML/day flowing into Burrendong and about the same into Burrinjuck.

Moree has over 200,000ML/day approaching from Gravesend. Most of that is coming out of the Horton River which comes out of the northern slopes of Kaputar. Gwydir fans out into multiple annabranches around Moree.

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Not a cloud in the sky....
CD24779A-639A-44C0-8521-98ACA18F788C.jpeg

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
I'm not entirely sure when this event started for us but if you use the dates for this thread we ended up with 601mm in total. The Heaviest was on the Sunday when we recorded 221mm.

At one point it rained for 96hours straight and across the 6 days there was probably only 3-4 hours on the Friday where it didn't rain. Incredible.

After last February I remember thinking "geez it'll be a long time before we see something like that again" in fact i thought id be lucky to see it again in my lifetime but just 12 months later we somehow surpassed the Feb 20 event by about 20mm. Total rainfall for the month to date is 668mm. An astonishing amount of rainfall.

The sun is finally out here, not a single cloud in the sky. A couple of people from work who are currently cut off by flood waters will be glad to see that no doubt.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
DOes anyone know what happened to the visible true colour satellite image in weatherzone layers? Its no longer an option at my end. Was thinking some of the flooding will be visible this morning.

Take that back. Got it now.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
I'm not entirely sure when this event started for us but if you use the dates for this thread we ended up with 601mm in total. The Heaviest was on the Sunday when we recorded 221mm.

At one point it rained for 96hours straight and across the 6 days there was probably only 3-4 hours on the Friday where it didn't rain. Incredible.

After last February I remember thinking "geez it'll be a long time before we see something like that again" in fact i thought id be lucky to see it again in my lifetime but just 12 months later we somehow surpassed the Feb 20 event by about 20mm. Total rainfall for the month to date is 668mm. An astonishing amount of rainfall.

The sun is finally out here, not a single cloud in the sky. A couple of people from work who are currently cut off by flood waters will be glad to see that no doubt.
After a wet summer too
Last feb was after dry as hell burner

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Don't think I've ever seen the satellite so green, would be a massive contrast to see satellite from Jan 2020 and now. Interesting to see the pool of muddy water near Windsor.

I was looking back through photos and this time last year was very green on the coast.

Jan/Feb not so much.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
So much water lying around between Walgett, Goonawindi, Narrabri and up to the GDR. Hard to know what it all does from there but you'd have to think lots of it will end up in the Barwon / Darling. Prior to the last couple of days rain there was already some flood water coming out of the QLD side.

Barwon starting to respond at Goondawindi and there's plenty coming in behind from Dumaresq and Severn and Macintyre areas as well as from the QLD side.

Also some minor to moderate flows commencing along the Namoi, Castlereeagh and Macquarie so likley to be some through flow from those systems also.

Yogurt_FreeZone

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro
Sydney - Not very good res. There be big brown smears at every river mouth along the coast.

I asked the lifeguards down at Wanda Beach (North Cronulla) this morning, if they had seen any debris in the water, and they pointed out to sea, where you could see a kms long stretch of brown in the water, far out in Bate (Cronulla Beaches) Bay, that was coming from the Port Hacking outflow to the South.
(Too feint to see very well from my photos, but easily seen with the naked eye).

Yogurt_FreeZone

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro
Lifeguards watching out for debris this morning at a beach called Wanda.

I think the bloke climbing the ladder is asking the other bloke whether he wants sauce on his sausage roll.

Good to see that not only are they COVIDsafe, but that they were reminding surfers that there was high pollution from storm water and to shower after surf.

What a fantastic blue sky this morning!

+ spot the paddle boarder

upload_2021-3-24_12-0-39.png

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens
Port Stephens Council calling it a 1 in 500 year event for the council area, Im a bit dubious but it did break a 60 year old rain record for Williamtown.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
A few stats relating to cloudiness in Sydney (specifically Sydney Airport):
  • Six of the last ten days (to the 23rd) have have had zero sunshine (average per month is about 2, maybe a little higher in March).
  • There was zero sunshine for four consecutive days - March 20-23. That is quite unusual in Sydney.
  • The preceding four days had sunny breaks adding up to 2.7 hours
  • Average daily sunshine for the 8 days March 16-23: 20 minutes.
Not quite “All Summer in a Day” but pretty gloomy, especially when combined with what sometimes seemed like endless rain. Not quite sure where it fits on the “Ice Cream Vendor Alert” scale.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
There be lots of water lying around on the black soil plains of Moree and beyond.

Gwydir Water 24March2021.jpg
It was already soaked after some decent rainfall when I travelled through that area at the end of Feb. There were farm crops that extended as far as the eye could see; perhaps 5-10klms, showing the incredible accuracy and practicality of satellite based levelling on farm equipment these days. Most cropping areas had water on them, yet the difference with the middle and the edges was measured in centimetres - runoff was exactly where it should have been; at the edges with the flow of water super slow (ie: little erosion) due to the incredible levelling.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
A blast from the past with apologies to CCR--
It was down in Pallamallawa
About 80 clicks from Warialda
In them old cotton fields back home
Oh, when them cotton bolls get rotten
You can't pick very much cotton
In them old cotton fields back home. LOL
Nasal twang from Fogarty was distinctive.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Steer clear of the water at Palmy @Ted Harper
Yeah, it was just gross yesterday - the colour in the photos I posted in this thread don’t do justice to just how yuck it was/is.

A surfing friend of mine who lives on Stokes Pt (inside Pittwater, across from Careel Bay) messaged me a little while ago and says she has never seen the water in her bay anywhere near as brown as it currently is.

I am thinking of a surf tomorrow morning (early, before it gets crowded) at Mona Vale. It is likely to have the least bad water quality - the further from the Hawkesbury the better (as long as no lagoon nearby also).

Reactions: Trail Blazer

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Yeah, it was just gross yesterday - the colour in the photos I posted in this thread don’t do justice to just how yuck it was/is.

A surfing friend of mine who lives on Stokes Pt (inside Pittwater, across from Careel Bay) messaged me a little while ago and says she has never seen the water in her bay anywhere near as brown as it currently is.

I am thinking of a surf tomorrow morning (early, before it gets crowded) at Mona Vale. It is likely to have the least bad water quality - the further from the Hawkesbury the better (as long as no lagoon nearby also).
Remember that Avalon has no stormwater drain. Worth checking on the way.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Jul 13, 2019
51067224818_a8089efbf3_b.jpg

51067914711_02554129d6_o.png

upload_2021-3-24_16-19-54.png

upload_2021-3-24_16-24-13.png

upload_2021-3-24_16-19-26.png

upload_2021-3-24_16-21-7.png

upload_2021-3-24_16-20-52.png

50998747085_2ef94a901c_b.jpg

Above is an assortment of images above including some of what's happened here locally in SE QLD and in the broader region in recent days.
It almost feels weird to finally have some blue skies and sunshine emerge today after so many days of dark overcast drenching days. A number of rivers in southern QLD and eastern NSW still in flood obviously.

And here’s just a selection of the higher rainfall amounts recorded within the week up to 9am today in NSW/SE QLD:

NSW:
1061mm – Bellwood (Nambucca Heads).
943mm – Comboyne Public School.
889.4mm – Yarras (Mt Seaview).
781mm – Mooral Creek (The Den).
747mm - Killabakh

SE QLD:
592.2mm – Mt Tamborine (Fern St).
581mm – Mt Tamborine (alert gauge).
573mm – Lower Springbrook.
538mm – Springbrook Rd.
520mm – Clearview.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Fatality being reported in the NW Sydney. Bugger

Some serious questions going to be raised about this one, absolutely tragic. Not your typical bogan tries to drive through flooded river story. From what I can ascertain from SMH and ABC stories :

Circumstances were the man was driving a rental car in an unfamiliar area
Road was flooded, but not shown as flooded on any website, live traffic, google maps etc, so nav would have taken him there
Road closure barriers were present, but flooded and out of view. No other warning tape, cones, signs etc. Authorities were warned the previous day by locals about the potential danger of this
Man unfortunately drives into water, in the dark.
He then rang 000 and was on the phone in contact with them for 45m trapped in the car, whilst it was washed away, before contact was lost

Very sad situation:(

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Some serious questions going to be raised about this one, absolutely tragic. Not your typical bogan tries to drive through flooded river story

Road was flooded, but not shown as flooded on any website, live traffic, google maps etc, so nav would have taken him there
Road closure barriers were present, but flooded and out of view. No other warning tape, cones, signs etc. Authorities were warned the previous day by locals about the potential danger of this
He then rang 000 and was on the phone in contact with them for 45m trapped in the car, whilst it was washed away, before contact was lost

Police speculating the car’s electronics were shorted out in the flood waters and he was unable to exit the car!
On the phone to 000 for over 40 minutes until contact was lost!
Joisus.....!

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Some serious questions going to be raised about this one, absolutely tragic. Not your typical bogan tries to drive through flooded river story. From what I can ascertain from SMH and ABC stories :

Police speculating the car’s electronics were shorted out in the flood waters and he was unable to exit the car!
On the phone to 000 for over 40 minutes until contact was lost!
Joisus.....!
Blardy hell
Thats very sad and tragic

Reactions: Steve777 and Donza

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico

This bit in the ABC stories sounds odd. Where was this workplace that had him in that area, and how was he still meant to be attending a first day in that area under current conditions. Sad

“He was a Pakistani national on his way to his first day at work at a large multinational company. ”

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore

Very sad indeed - looks like multiple failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums