Phone APPS

ausbob

Addicted
Feb 9, 2004
brisbane
Hi all,
I am looking at downloading a ski tracker type App for my phone. Can anyone reccommend one they have tried. I have an Android phone.
Cheers

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
What features do you want?

Google tracks works fine.

I use strava but it is more for running and cycling but can do skiing as well.

There are resort specific ones as well.

ausbob

Addicted
Feb 9, 2004
brisbane
To be honest I don't really know what I am looking for, I downloaded Rossignol's ski pursuit and it looks good, but I am off to Niseko next week and thought I would see what people are using.
They all seem to track speed, elevation and GPS coordinates, I just wondered if some are better than others.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
http://www.appsmenow.com/app_page/13035-SKI_TRACKS_-_GPS_TRACK_RECORDER

At least 5 people I skied with in Europe had this and the results looked good. Everyone was really happy with it. Doesn't require data or phone signal for Tracking - some apps do, which is bad for roaming data costs.

Available for iPhone. Apparently the Android version isn't as complete for functionality and stability.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
ausbob said:
Hi all,
I am looking at downloading a ski tracker type App for my phone. Can anyone recommend one they have tried. I have an Android phone.
Cheers

gps logger.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mendhak.gpslogger&hl=en

Description
A lightweight, battery efficient GPS Logger. The purpose of this app is to log your GPS coordinates at specified intervals to a file on your SD card. This app runs in the background so that you can on a long walk, hike, flight ride or photo session or even go buy some milk and have this running as long as possible. Once you're back at your computer, you can then use the files to geotag photos, upload to travel sites, view in Google Earth and so on.

It just takes a logpoint for the interval you set it too. Can spilt logfile into separate days which is useful.

A good no-nonsense quiet logger. Can start automaticly on boot. Doesn't need anything but the GPS on.

Doesn't suffer from app-developer "Hi Mum!" syndrome like nearly all GPS apps seem to.

Has a little icon in the status bar to show you when it's taking marks.

Just set it up, and forget about it.

thumbsup.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
ausbob said:
To be honest I don't really know what I am looking for, I downloaded Rossignol's ski pursuit and it looks good, but I am off to Niseko next week and thought I would see what people are using.
They all seem to track speed, elevation and GPS coordinates, I just wondered if some are better than others.

What I like about the current version of gps logger is it stores the hdop value in the log. This data gives you an idea of how good the accuracy of the mark was when it was read.

And we expect a trip report from you.

smile.gif

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
It logs a gps location every interval or distance that you preset (provided your phone can receive the GPS signal)

Yes, it does track elevation and speed:

<trkpt lat="36.8875910599157" lon="138.17044670542307"><ele>832.5408959005402</ele><course>274.49396</course><speed>3.0512366</speed><hdop>0.8</hdop><src>gps</src><sat>17</sat><time>2013-01-26T04:33:50Z</time></trkpt>

This is a typical line from a logfile. It contains all the data for just one trackpoint. It is in GPX format and feeds directly into my track editor on the PC. You can tell it to log to KML format also (for Google programs). And it's trivial to convert them afterwards anyway.

You can see it shows the lat and long co'ods, the elevation, course, speed, hdop, number of satellites, and the UTC time of the position.

Even if the 'speed' field wasn't in there, you could still derive rough speed when you have two track points a few seconds apart from each other.

There is no map feature in the software so what you do with the output data generated is entirely up to you.

The worry is if you were to use some weird tracking app that mangles the data and keeps it stored in an obscure format, you might not be able use the data later with any other mapping app- just be warned.

Hope that helps!

Any further questions, fire away. There are quite a few GPS addicts on here who'll help if you need more technical info.

craighelo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras
I have been using alpine replay. seems pretty good, has website with stats and competitions if that way inclined. Even tracked my Heli Skiing, obviously didn't know the ski field but has all the stats and plots on google maps. Best of all is free
www.alpinereplay.com

WhitePowder

Early Days
May 5, 2022
Resurrecting this old thread.

Any updates and recommendations on a ski run GPS logger app that can actually last a whole ski day’s use without draining an iPhone? Thanks!

Reactions: Jacko4650

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Resurrecting this old thread.

Any updates and recommendations on a ski run GPS logger app that can actually last a whole ski day’s use without draining an iPhone? Thanks!
I recently ran strava on my iphone for a 5 hour day. My battery indicator didn't move. Annoyingly I have an iphone 12 mini, which doesn't show battery percentage, just a bar, so hard to knownhow much it used. The phone was in my pocket all day, didn't use it for anything else. Tracked everything well, and stats matched up with Perisher dashboard stats. Automatically detected the activity as alpine skiing

I am a premium strava user (as I bike ride), but pretty sure the difference between free and premium is in the analysis features post event, not the data collection.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Ski tracks is my go to (notwithstanding the lack of snow activity past 2 years).

Bear in mind YMMV based on health of your phones battery, and how much you use it during the day. It can be very worthwhile having a small power brick to give the phone a little top up during a break

WhitePowder

Early Days
May 5, 2022
Thanks for the comments. I have Strava but the annoying thing with some of these services is that they don’t allow export of those data in GPX. But if Strava only consumes minimal battery juice (very different to its early days), then I’d think other apps should also be similar. I’ll test some of these apps and see.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Thanks for the comments. I have Strava but the annoying thing with some of these services is that they don’t allow export of those data in GPX. But if Strava only consumes minimal battery juice (very different to its early days), then I’d think other apps should also be similar. I’ll test some of these apps and see.
Strava allows you to export in .gpx

Reactions: WhitePowder
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass