News Pick My Project Mt Baw Baw

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by BawBawPmp, Aug 12, 2018.

1. BawBawPmp

BawBawPmp First Runs

Working with Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort, two projects have been approved for voting in the Premiers Pick My Project Community Funding Grants. To secure these grants we need your votes!

If successful in voting, the two projects will see a year round adventure playground built in the resort plus green season skate park and tennis court to occupy part of the day carpark.

All facilities would be fee free for ongoing use.

Voting starts tomorrow morning from 9 am and closes September 17.

A Facebook site has been setup to help us promote our cause for votes and communicate throughout the process. Please support us and like us on Facebook and vote for our projects, details on how to do this will be published on the Facebook site.

https://fb.me/pmpmtbawbaw

bawbawskier77, Snowy Joey and Bogong like this.
  2. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski.....
    Ski Pass: Gold

Yes! Will people make the extra effort to add thinner air to their non competitive tennis and adventure playgrounding ?
    Of course !
    And add a monorail to make it extra irressistibull.
    Gumbyer Park might have to close.

3. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm?

4. djam

djam One of Us

The tennis court at Buller really doesn't get a lot of use, nice to have, but not a draw card.

IMO any activity needs to be close to food, to make it even close to a good idea. At least
    it might break even, which is a win based on the current situation (huge losses).

5. BawBawPmp

BawBawPmp First Runs

That’s all good but what’s the point of having food if there is nothing to do?

The program being run by the Premiers department/project has guidelines and restrictions about what can and can’t be done.

This is an opportunity to provide some new facilities with passive no usage cost to the public to the resort. Hope we can get enough votes/support to get us over the line.

6. djam

djam One of Us

Sorry, I thought the idea was to put in stuff for something to do ? My point was to put is close to a
    food outlet, which is high on the list of what people look for when visiting the Alpine resorts.

There is no, no cost option, if people come, there will be costs to the resort, toilets and other services
    cost money. The court at Buller needs cleaning and maintenance, the fence and net is put up and pulled
    down each year.

7. BawBawPmp

BawBawPmp First Runs

The issues currently is the location of the food outlets are too small for anything meaningful. The playground design is not locked in and may end up being 2-3 elements in the resort so near the food area is viable for this part.

The tennis court is very much a nice have, a playground is more important. The PMP team suggest/recommended combining the skate park with the playground so if you only vote for one of the two projects that would be my preference as that delivers more to the resort.

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Possibly a bit late for the voting here.

I vote for RM to investigate ways as to how they can better run (or even just run per Se) existing snowguns (the real below -2C deg jobbies on towers).

Fwiw: haven't seen any report of their use this year. Ironically BB has had heaps of nights with temps below -2C (so that's one - tired excuse negated) but the good natural snow almost prevents the need.

I guess the real point here is AFAK, the ice machine has worked effectively this year but doesn't really cover enough runs or whole (long) runs - happy to be corrected.

BB need to work on this as seasons get leaner. As it is I believe BB are wasting their traditional snowmaking facilities on this great little mtn.

Bogong likes this.
  9. Bpoos

Bpoos First Runs

10. Bpoos

Bpoos First Runs

Is there enough water allocation to run both?

11. crackson

crackson A Local

I can run any snowmaking system at maximum. It's easy.

I'm expensive though.

12. Bpoos

Bpoos First Runs

What are you - a cloud! (giggles uncontrollably at own joke)

crackson likes this.
  13. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I think The theory ciculating Bb Village was that the slushie uses all the allowance.

But I thought BB normally had heaps water - in most years its lying on all the runs!!

Its a shame though - i believe the guns spread snow further & higher up summit - in most years that what they need??

Would love to know the longer term strategy for SM. Unlike the bigs, theres rarely a master plan or Comms pack at the end/start of season.

Just glossy brochures n fluff for ‘snourists’

14. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here

It's not a matter of allocation
    They have a 1000000l (or thereabouts) storage tank which fils during the day, and that is available for one night's snowmaking
    The traditional guns used to empty it on a good night

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Bpoos

Bpoos First Runs

Ohhhh, so maybe a better idea for 'pick my project' would be another water tank or 2 so that they can actually use all of their snowmakers at the same time instead of having the ones that make 'real' snow sitting there unused on a cold night?

snowgum and Charlie like this.
  16. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. So have identified weakest link in SM chain.

Being greedy, I’d still like to top to bottom SM on summit and say champagne. Now that really would need a second or maybe third tank??

...Its great having 1-2m cover in a small area but if this snow cant easily be transported to thin areas on outer & upper runs, the ice machine could be become somewhat redundant later in the season. (As great as its been!)

Bpoos likes this.
  17. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I think they have done really well with the slushie machine....we were up at the start of the month and there was some thin cover on the bottom of champagne on the Saturday. All day the slushie machine built a pile on the cut through from slalom and that night it was spread on the patch, Sunday morning it was peachy.

I would also say that this year is the most I have seen 100% lifts on most weekends since school holidays and probably the most I have seen Maltese and painted run in the past 5 maybe even 10 years. So the management must be doing something right!

From those I have spoke to on mountain water storage is not so much the issue. It’s how much they are allowed to pull out of the creek/system.

18. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Howdy BBS77, have to agree the ol gal’ was skinning nicely Mid July /end of school hols snd if anything the offivial ski report did a disservice by undereporting cover.

Have to agree, mostly on reports here, the slushie has been very good. The ability to fix a thin / bare area is huge bonus - esp on a key blue run like Champagne. And can stay open.

I cant help wondering about the ‘old SM system’ though. If there’s never any water allocated then its effectively redundant.

Perhaps its time for management to approach DELWP over summer and state their case. Village sustainability and so on?

(Sucking eggs as I type!)

19. Bpoos

Bpoos First Runs

Do you think its fair to give nature a fair whack of the credit for this season too?!! Have they been putting any snow onto the Maltese?

20. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here

When they pull their allowance out of the creek/system, they still need somewhere to store the water until the conditions are right for traditional snowmaking

21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Maybe that's why it takes so long to improve infrastructure at Bawbs. Few can agree as to what the 'real' problems are, which makes it a tad difficult to propose solutions. Or request funding.

Clearly - even in a climate constrained environment, snow cover is central to BB's success.

The Plowking likes this.
  22. BawBawPmp

BawBawPmp First Runs

Today is the last day to vote in the Pick My Project Grants. We would appreciated any support you can give and hopefully we get enough votes for our community projects to be funded.

If you have not voted already, please do so and see our Facebook page for information.