1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Picking a 2021 holiday in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Chris2oo5, Apr 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Chris2oo5

Chris2oo5 First Runs

Hi im looking for a bit of advice for a holiday for the last week in january for me and my partner. I will give as much information as i can so maybe you can help.

Myself
    I've done 3 trips to switzerland 1st being for 7 days (where i could only snow plow) 2nd and 3rd for 10 days each could parrell and improved my confidence. finely, me and my current partner went to andorra February 2020 and i didnt struggle smashed all red and blues I'm confident and will attempt any reds(want to try a black next)

My partner
    She had 8 lessons on a dry slope at castletord xscape and a full day lessonn snow plow to parrell. Went to andorra for 7days in February 2020 did really well despite the hissy fits,crying and stubbornness . Skied all the blues fine and even most of the reds in poor conditions
    She will be a very good skier she has the technique but, as we all know its a confidence thing when we first start out. She is still at the level where she doesn't want to go to fast because she thinks she can't stop

Andorra was ok the snow conditions weren't great but it was bout getting my partner ready for bigger things.

Cervina
    This looks a good option as the slopes look really big and wide and i particularly like the idea we can ski into zermatt.

3 valleys france
    val thorens & courchevel

Ski in ski out which sounds fantastic huge area so if its to busy then we can always go else where. Courchevel is obviously more glamorous ( i don't mind paying a bit more for a nicer hotel)

Kitzbuhel or saalbach
    We both fancy these but I'm thinking maybe its a bit to much early for her and dont want to scare my partner.

Grindelwald
    I know the runs here and could guide her down the mountains.

Overall
    Night life isn't imporant to us. We will go half board where ever we go. Have a few beers in the hotel at night after a meal and go out 1s maybe 2s for tea in the evening. What's more important is the skiing, i don't want to put her off with steep narrow slopes i want her to enjoy it

Hopefully thats enough info sorry its a bit of a long read but any advice will help me.
    Thanks

2. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Surely 2021?

3. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

2022 moreso.

4. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    Where's the punchline?

dawooduck likes this.
  5. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Agree

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Cervina.

7. Chris2oo5

Chris2oo5 First Runs

Ha yea typo

8. Chris2oo5

Chris2oo5 First Runs

Any reason particularl reason why ?

9. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Milan looks nice
    Budda budda boom!
    (sorry Doonks)

Normo and Doonks like this.
  10. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It's hard to see travel into the European ski fields where there were some hotspots this season ramping up in a big way this year 20/21
    Even if you went you'd probably have to isolate in some fashion coming home
    21/22 looks like the season the crystal ball clears for any sort of return to normal tourist travel patterns IMO

11. skifree

I liked it & I think you partner will enjoy it & with care Zermatt.

Is Italy, is good.

Food, local wine.

12. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

2022 IMO due Coronas

Cervina is good. Town is ugly
    Cruising runs are better in Cervina than Zermatt
    Cheaper in Cervina
    Zermatt epic village but $$$

Val Thorens is great and I'd rate the highway groomers there are 10/10 and so many kms to ski. Mid price between Cervina and Zermatt

13. Chris2oo5

Chris2oo5 First Runs

Thank u we did consider this closely and still are. The views look stunning

14. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

15. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

My dad's old birth turf... Bolzano.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Chris2oo5

Chris2oo5 First Runs

I understand might not be able to go in 2021 and maybe 2022 but just asking what ur thoughts are?

Swede likes this.
  17. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A search for Cervina comes up with " Cervinia". Is this the ski area mentioned above? Very interested to ski in Europe after all this virus biz settles down (hopefully) and Northern Italy looks to have a lot to offer. On the bus from Trieste to Venice in November, the clouds opened to reveal snow covered Dolomiti and I just thought, I have to go back and ski somewhere up there. One day.

18. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Alpini! :thumbs:

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  19. skifree

Yes.

Below the Matterhorn, across the ridge from Zermatt.

20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This. As I mainly enjoy backcountry skiing these days, I'm not often impressed enough with "resort skiing" to want to go back again. Zermatt and it's Italian neighbour Cervina are so huge and with so much variety, they are definitely a place I want to revisit.

21. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Your partner wont get scared in Saalbach. Lots of open wide easy slopes for novice- intermediates. Lots of comfortable Gondolas (29) and covered chairs. 600+ snow cannons and a plethora of quaint mountain huts (60) to eat in.

LDJ likes this.
  22. skifree

Just lost.

;)

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

My cousin does not ski :-0 but she lives in Switzerland :-o. Yes, I know , what an infidel !.

However 2022 could be a good time to ski in Switzerland. You could fly to Japan , ski there and then fly to Europe and then ski there too. Most plane trips from Ozstriya are interminably long because of the size of the country we have fly out of and the distance to reach the rest of the known world is vast.
    Once you are in Eurasia everything is closer .
    My mind's eye sees 2022 as a good time to do multiple world trips. It remains to be seen what the cost of travelling abroad will be like then. The whole airline industry has almost flatlined. Major carriers will need to put prices up to regain their substantial losses. World tourism overall could have a mid term adjustment after the green light to travel internationally is displayed and the initial price hikes possibly self correct.

24. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Go look up some of the prices in Switzerland, and then do the currency conversion.

You will need to lie down.

25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes I know ;-P. I wish my cousin lived in a cheaper country so I could visit her and ski without having to live in debt for the rest of my blighted days ;-P. Even Japan would do. India is cheaper than the EU and has lifted and BC XC skiing at Auli and Gulmarg. The food is better too. Some of the Stans in central Asia have resort skiing. Iran has good skiing.These places are cheaper to visit too and are more exotic too.
    Anyway sorry to the OP for the thread hijack . The topic is skiing in the EU in 2022. Spain has some great resort and BC /AT skiing options in the Sierra Nevada near Granada.
    I trekked with this firm in Spain in this area. They are top shelf.
    Here is their ski link on the www
    https://www.spanishhighs.co.uk/downhill-skiing-sierra-nevada.html
    https://www.spanishhighs.co.uk/ski-touring-sierra-nevada.php

CarveMan likes this.
  26. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Only reason I have skied in Switzerland is I have friends in Cran-Montana, so accomodation costs are the price of dinner and a couple of bottles of wine. That said, I would pay the fare to go back to Zermatt.

27. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I go to Verbier every time I am in Cham, but I try to limit my spending to a lift ticket only, which isn't too bad in the scheme of things, and absolutely worth it if you go on a good day.

skiflat and Fozzie Bear like this.
  28. David-eTO

David-eTO Early Days

Good day,

generally speaking I am consistently baffled as to why Sestriere and La Via Lattea are consistently not taken into consideration for a trip to Europe.
    However, I would suggest you to have a look at the Via Lattea as an option: Sestriere (and Borgata) are now connected to Pragelato (ropeway) plus Sauze D'Oulx and Sansicario that can be reached from the Col Basset. Cesana is a only a short trip (by bus) away from Sauze or Sestriere.

I went there last in 2019 in January and there were plenty of offers available as after the big Christmas Holiday break, January seems to be a month that does not get much tourist influx at all. I appreciate it was not the best season but nobody was around which is always a plus.

From a runs perspective, if you had the intention to visit all the places mentioned above, it is unlikely that you will ever ride the same slopes twice. All resorts have ski and snowboard schools and the rides range from beginner to expert everywhere.

Accommodations go from luxury to cheap and there are also plenty of options for food.

Turin has a small airport and from there I assume you might have to commute to the train station and from there you can catch a train to Sauze and a bus to Setriere or you if you book your accommodation in Sauze, you can just stop there.

Alternatively, you can take a bus from Turin (the station is beside the Tribunal - Corso Vittorio Emanuele II) to Sestriere but it is quite an odissey as it takes nearly 3 hours!!!!!

if you had questions let me know.

Val Desire likes this.
  29. David-eTO

David-eTO Early Days

Yes it is.
    Probably the ugliest village in Valle D'Aosta but with the international ski-pass you can go to Zermatt.

Courmayeur is a much nicer and picturesque place but much lower than Cervinia so snow-wise Cervinia is better

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

My Cousin has moved to Bern so I am looking at XC skiing near Bern in early 2022.