Places to Stay near Vic Resorts

bamboozled

First Runs
Apr 8, 2010
Blacktown, NSW
Hi,
I am planning my first Vic. Ski trip this year (im from Sydney).

Plan is to head down in my uni winter break (July or early august), for 3-5 Days skiing. I plan not to pay for my accomodation by staying at campsites. (I have equipment to camp in snowy conditions - did this last year on a 4 day thredbo trip camping at Ngarigo).

I want to visit Buller, Hotham AND Falls in the trip. I have found the following sites for c Hut or Boggy Creek Hut
Near Falls Ck: Mountain Ck. amping:

Near Mt. Buller: Fry's Flat, Sheepyard Flat
Near Mt. Hotham: JB PlainHut.

Has anyone been to these sites, know whether they are above/below the snowline or know any sites closer to the resorts?

Cheers,
David.

bamboozled

First Runs
Apr 8, 2010
Blacktown, NSW
something went wrong in that last post, heres the camping sites i found on net so far:

Near Falls Ck: Mountain Ck. Hut

Near Mt. Buller: Fry's Flat, SHeepyard Flat

Near Mt. Hotham: JB Plain Hut or Boggy Ck Hut

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Mountain Creek is a long way below the snowline - it's only about 600m. (there are also 2 caravan parks in Mt Beauty / Tawonga that give you access to hot shwers and drying rooms for a modest fee)

will take 45-60 mins to get to falls from mountain creek, assuming traffic and conditions are ok

you can camp in the national park beyond falls creek but there is no car access

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
I've camped down at Bogong village a few times when skiing at Falls.
For Buller I've camped at the base near the toll gate plenty of times. Can you still do that?
JB Plain Hut area is good for Hotham and is close to the Dinner Plain pub for dinner.

sfo

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2009
anywhere there's snow
I've never seen any tents at the Buller toll gate, but the All Tommorrow's Party organisers (or someone) wanted $70 for a bed in a tent during their festival. (Not surprisingly, the event never went ahead). Nor have I seen 'no camping' signs, but maybe there's signs there. at least there's clean loos, fire places and tables/chairs.

Frys and sheepyard are on a long corrugated slippery road which means hiring 4wd and a long slow drive uphill. You'd be better to camp somewhere (below the snowline). If the toll area isn't available, camp along Carters Lane - there's a few rough camp spots some with (or had) very rough huts -, or camp on the very wide 'nature strip' on Buttercup Lane next to the fast flowing creek.

PM Bogong for ideas.

Have you thought about staying at the univerity clubs like Melbourne, Monash or USC? Or Youth Hostel Association lodge at Buller maybe?

bamboozled

First Runs
Apr 8, 2010
Blacktown, NSW
yeh had a look aroundat some of the clubs, monash has a fairly affordable package for Buller.
We like camping out though. Ive got a 4x4 so dirt roads shouldnt pose a problem, wouldnt mind doing some offraod driving whilst down there.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Mirimbah at the base of Mt Buller is a designated camp ground when I last checked. Showers there for you too. We have camped there in summer (on the RHS on the way to Buller)and its quite popular. Lots of cars parked there in winter though.

Wouldn't bother with Mountain Creek. Miles away from Falls creek. Better off camping at Big Hill (turn off at Cranki Charlie), Bogong Villge (you would have to hide)or Howman's Gap (cold)

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
Yeah in Bogong village we never actually set up a tent, we just slept under the pergola where the bbq is. First light pack away the sleeping bags and fry up a good brekkie before heading up. They used to have a teepee there in winter as well that we slept in one night. It wasn't very water proof!

bamboozled

First Runs
Apr 8, 2010
Blacktown, NSW
Go Native said:
Yeah in Bogong village we never actually set up a tent, we just slept under the pergola where the bbq is. First light pack away the sleeping bags and fry up a good brekkie before heading up. They used to have a teepee there in winter as well that we slept in one night. It wasn't very water proof!

Haha, sounds fun. Although hopefully we can try not to look like a bunch of homeless people lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass