1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Planning a trip to Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Arnaud, Oct 13, 2016.

1. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Also consider Mt Buller which is relatively easy to access from Melbourne airport.
    In NSW consider Perisher as well. You can drive to the skitube and catch that up.
    If you need to put chains on to get to the skitube or Thredbo you are very lucky - as in you will have some great snow!
    Think about staying in lodge rther than skef contained accommodtion. Might be more choice within your budget.

Japan - Consider Akakura Kanko, Madarao or Yuzawa though April is pushing it for Madarao. 2 hours on the shinkansen from Tokyo for both Madarao and Yuzawa.. From this season onwards Madarao will have an English language ski school. Costs in Japan are way less than Aus. Lift tickets are about half depending on resort and exchange rates. Accommodation for 2 adults 1 child should be under S300 per night. Self contained accommodation is hard to find. But lodges are nice cause you have company. You can leave booking accommodation till quite late as it is pretty quiet by April.

Arnaud likes this.
  2. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

book through www.europcar.com.au and they will allow you up to Thredbo.

Youre right, snow cover is extra

For 9 days hire its $950 including chain rental and snow cover for a Camry, so around $100/day

#52 gareth_oau, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Arnaud likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

On another different note you can only make accommodation bookings for 2 or 5 days, or combinations of those.

And you can only arrive on a Friday for a 2 or 7 day booking or on a Sunday for a 5 or 7 day booking, so closest for 10 days is actually a 2 + 7 day, arriving on the Friday

Arnaud likes this.
  4. skichanger

?? totally confused by this. Some places may have those sort of restrictions but many don't. The club I am in abolished that sort of restriction 20 years ago.

5. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I hear ya. And likewise we sometimes forget to read the original post too. :)

Arnaud, I've skiied with a 4 year old too and I think if you can afford to stay 'on snow', such as at Thredbo or Perisher, you'll have a much less stressful time getting your son into the ski class.

Something to keep in mind is that Thredbo has more of an 'alpine village' feel (i.e. is nicer for times when your wife and son may want a break from skiing for example), and is at a lower village elevation than Perisher.

This means that when it does snow you can usually still walk around in the village at Thredbo more easily because it does not become snowbound as often, whereas at Perisher the village is higher so once it snows heavily, walking around is harder.

For skiers, the top elevations of the ski lifts at both resorts are fairly similar.

For skiing I usually ski at Perisher but I do like Thredbo too.

For your requirements I would recommend Thredbo.

Arnaud and Astro66 like this.
  6. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Singapore-Canberra direct would be a far better option than Singapore-Sydney-Cooma. Transferring through Sydney requires going across one of the airport to the other from the International Terminal to the Domestic terminals and you would probably need to take your bags with you. The minimum connection time would be at least 90 minutes, which is around the same time it takes to drive from Canberra Airport to Cooma Airport, plus the flying time from Sydney to Cooma is over an hour.

The terminal transfer in Sydney is a huge pain in the butt, I have done it many times and hate doing it. The disincentive is so large that even though I am a member of Qantas Frequent Flyer just short of Lifetime Gold I will use Singapore Airlines for flights to Europe because I can go direct from Canberra.

Arnaud likes this.
  7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Did not use them once this season, though that was timing on one occasion.

8. GlenH

Here are some tips on how to get to Thredbo without a car:

https://www.thredbo.com.au/village-life/about-thredbo/getting-here/

and similarly for Perisher:

https://www.perisher.com.au/plan-your-trip/new-to-perisher/getting-here

Not all information may be right up to date.

Many of the services actually apply to both places, because they would run by road from Jindabyne to Thredbo, stopping at the Bullocks Flat SkiTube station where you can take the train to Perisher.

Note the trains have luggage limitations on some trips in the peak season (e.g. uphill in the morning, downhill in the afternoon).

You'll see the scheduled services from Canberra normally leave in the morning and return in the afternoon, so if this does not suit your flight you would need to either overnight in Canberra or pay more for a private transfer.

Arnaud likes this.
  9. gareth_oau

Sorry if you are so easily confused. LOL.

As a non-member of a club, booking commercially available properties we see this just about everywher we've booked in the past

10. Arnaud

Arnaud First Runs

Mainly Alpes in France/Switzerland.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Some direct flights from Sydney to Hotham Airport which is situated 20km from Hotham Village and a hop skip and jump from Dinner Plan which is the alternative accomodation on the Hotham Massive..
    these direct flights are listed as 80min journeys.....any driving from this airport is particulary easy with very moderate hills and corners...Bears would be most surprized if Dinner Plain did not provide a vehicle to pick up folk arriving at the airport for a booked holiday....maybe worth chasing up details by contacting Hotham Resort and Dinner Plains to get factual information...

the Snowy Mts can be accessed by air into Cooma Airport but u still got a much longer tedious drive than that mentioned from Hotham Airport...:cool:

12. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

I had a quick look at "Murray's" and "Greyhound" and their winter timetables/prices seem to have been removed (as winter is now over). However, "Snoexpress" still has their details up on their site.
    They run buses on Fridays and Sundays (to align with accommodation change overs).
    Cost = $170 per adult return. $130 per child return. So much cheaper than hiring a car.
    They leave Canberra airport at 9am and 12 noon., and then depart Thredbo at 1pm and 4pm also on Friday and Sunday.
    http://www.snoexpress.com.au/Default.aspx
    If you want to compare these prices and timetables you'll have to send the other two an email.
    https://www.murrays.com.au/default.aspx
    http://www.greyhound.com.au/

P.S. As I mentioned yesterday, if you can change your holiday to August it would allow more time for snow accumulation and a possible better time for you (as the experienced skier in the family).

#62 Zimboo, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. GlenH

Basically Murrays operate a daily service designed to suit Canberra day skiers, so as I recall it departs Canberra at about 05:00 (5am) and returns from Thredbo at about 16:00 (4pm). It runs in the peak season, July and August, though I'm not sure how far either side of those months.

I think they also run a midnight departure from Sydney once a week which allows you to travel 'overnight' and arrive next morning. (The time I took my then 4yo daughter on that kind of coach trip, she stayed awake all night looking for wildlife under the moonlight, then fell sound asleep in the Perisher shopping arcade at 3pm! :))

Greyhound runs daily from Sydney Central Station and Sydney International Airport, departing early morning, picking up in Canberra City late morning, arriving Thredbo early afternoon. They return from Thredbo mid afternoon, arriving Canberra City early evening and Sydney International Airport and Sydney Central Station late evening. They operate from approx late June until early / mid September. They used to stop at Canberra Airport on request, not sure if they still do.

Both services stop at Bullocks Flat SkiTube Station where you can take the swiss-designed rack-railway through the tunnel to Perisher. It is a fun experience if you have never been on one (you can sit up the front next to the driver, and the line is so steep that if you face the wrong way you may slide off the seat!) but it is quite expensive.

Hope that helps.

14. skichanger

For many of the clubs you do not need to be a member to book. That also went out the window about 20 years ago.

15. GlenH

It was my impression that having to book only 'a weekend' or 'a mid week' was still a requirement at many commercial (non-club) accommodation places, especially in peak season, almost certainly in school holidays and particularly 'on snow'.

It seems to be a peculiar Australian / New South Wales thing, reflecting that the accommodation is only there for skiers and that's how they avoid odd empty nights that they cannot sell.

When we go to New Zealand we check in and out whenever we feel like it, but the accommodation there is in towns below the snowmen where people visit for more than just skiing, though in winter mostly for skiing.

16. gareth_oau

I suspect the friday/sunday changeover regime is so that cleaners are only required for 2 days a week.

Skichanger, do thwse clubs do the cleaning or do you so that youself?

17. skichanger

I cn only tlk bout the club I am in, Schuss. When we joined, over 20 years ago, you cleaned. But times have changed and now they get in cleaners. There are some chores, well there are meant to be but it depends on the manager. When there are chores they re not onerous for example sweep and clean the kitchen and dining room floor after dinner.

18. gareth_oau

its as much to do with providing and changing bed linen

We stayed in a lodge and had to bring our own sheets and towels - not great when you are travelling on a plane

19. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Skis/boards rolled up in towels and sheets, inside lightweight bag. Lot cheaper than douchbags. LOL

20. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Poor Arnaud must be totally confused by now! I agree that Singapore-Canberra is the easiest flight option. Car hire or bus from Canberra (2 hour easy drive to Jindabyne then 20 minutes to either Thredbo or Perisher). Book your accommodation in advance. I'm a Perisher skier too but love the look and feel of Thredbo. Arnaud, your family may enjoy variable snow (there will be SOME) and also potential sightings of wombats, kangaroos, echidnas, and quite possibly some beautiful bluebird days. Enjoy!

21. skichanger

Again ?? Our club lodges have always provided linen. Towels you did have to provide but that changed a while ago as well. It is interesting the misconceptions about club lodges. They are really varied. Some of them are very exclusive and upmarket. Some are very ordinary. There is a whole range between these extremes..

Telemark Phat likes this.
  22. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Gareth's experience would mostly have been in self contained apartments in the last 10 plus years I suspect. Having such a large family it's easier.

I also have limited experience in club lodges (some, not lots) - it's good to hear the different options.

23. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon Thredbo is a great place for the first-timers. It's been a few years since we had our kids in ski school, but they always loved Thredboland. You can put them in on a day-by-day basis and they used to (and probably still do) charge less for consecutive days - so if your kid goes in on monday they pay the single day rate, if they go in tuesday as well then you only pay the difference between 1 and 2 days, and so on. Just don't take a rest day!

If you're forking out for international airfares I wouldn't skimp on accommodation. Slogging it up and back from Jindabyne every day with multiple sets of skis/boards on the roof detracts a bit from the experience. By the time you get back to the car at the end of the day, strap the skis on the roof, take the boots off and are ready to drive the half hour back down the mountain I'm back in the lodge with a beer. If a decent dump of snow happens along you could also get stuck on the road in (or out) - we once spent 2 1/2 hours sitting in the car waiting for an accident to be cleared before we could get past.

You can get relatively cheap accommodation in some of the club lodges. They're mostly self-catered and usually pretty friendly and comfortable. They'll be a fair bit cheaper than a self-contained self-catered place. My lodge (Currawong) can rent you linen and towels but I can't speak for other places.

To reiterate what some others have said, the first 2 weeks of July can be marginal for snow and you're possibly going to be counting heavily on manmade for cover. It's also school holidays so it'll be busy.

I'd do it the simple way and get the bus from Canberra airport. The supermarket at Thredbo has everything you'll need (at resort prices) and you won't have to cope with a 2 1/2 hour drive after a long flight.

24. GlenH

This is all great advice.

Just one thing? Do you need to book in advance in school holidays?

I remember when my daughter was very young (18 months) the Perisher child minding was booked out when we just turned up unannounced on one of our trips and we were a bit stuck.

25. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We've never had to book for Thredboland. We made the rule that the kids had to go in the first day and could decide after that whether to go in again or ski with us. There were always complaints on the monday morning, they'd ask to go back on tuesday and by friday it was always "No you're having a day to ski with us and show us what you learned!"

26. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Notably, many skiers fly from Brisbane to Albury or Darwin & Perth to Abury Via Melbourne. From there they get a connection to Falls Creek - choice of hire car, coach or limo transfer (if keen, you can get a helicopter too).

The kids snowclub at Falls is great. Located near the top of the Falls Express Chairlift - accommodation is readily available whether you're after hotel like QT or apartments or club lodges.

You won't need a car.

@Arnaud - Other tips - take out travel insurance particular to skiing. This should also include car hire excess waiver (so you don't pay the car hire company extra $$$)

LMB likes this.
  27. GlenH

For @Arnaud it may also depend what else they'd like to do in Australia either side of the skiing trip.