1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for first ski trip to NZ

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by mannyk, Apr 2, 2019.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Congrats on the upcoming big birthday, and on choosing to spend it with your adult children. I disagree with your wife (despite not knowing you or your kids) - something something skiing something something hard to clash when you’re busy having fun. :thumbs:

It’s your first trip - why not one ski day in each, weather depending.

We were intermediates when we first visited NZ and my fave of all 4 was Treble Cone, absolutely hated Coronet Peak, loved Remarkables and felt Cardrona was too much hype and crowds for not such a stellar experience. If it was a different day those views may have been different also.

Definitely get a 4wd and chains and be prepared to use them (don’t wear Jandals for the drive PB :rolleyes:).

If you’re looking for off snow activities see if the Via Ferrata is open (not sure if it is in Winter) - that was loads of fun.

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I think NW is peasant personally. They're all peasant compared to supermarkets in Australia.
    Its embarrassing how much food in is NZ.
    I usually get fruit and vege from a fruit store ... Not a supermarket.

Though this is based on shopping in Marlborough and Wanaka.

3. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks LMB, the comment about time with my boys was tounge in cheek. Were a close family but we are humane...lol Thanks for the tips.

4. mannyk

Unfortunately wheels don't roll too fast here and we miss the specials. Received a quote today.
    Accom 5 nights - 4 day lift pass(not super pass) for 3, $2300.
    MIssed it... bugger.
    My thoughts so far. Fly into QT from GC, hire SUV, stay Wanaka. Take it from there at this stage. I will research a bit more.
    All this info will be passed on to the boys.
    One boy has a serious fear of flying, so that will be interesting.

Froff Life and LMB like this.
  5. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Have backup things to do if cloud is hanging up the top, lost two days at Cardrona on that account.

6. Donzah

Have alook at book a bach and airbnb

mannyk likes this.
  7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

My bestie has a paralysing fear of flying.
    Just having anti-anxiety meds on hand can be enough to calm her sufficiently to not even need to take them. But if she doesn’t at least take them with her the panic spirals out of control quickly. Had to de-plane once. Not good. Grab a script, then if it goes south you’re prepared.

mannyk likes this.
  8. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Was the quote for Pinewoods Lodge or Reavers Lodge accom?

9. mannyk

NZSki Limited
    Season start: 07 Jun 2019 Queenstown Season Finish: 13 Oct 2019 Queenstown 1 X EARLYBIRD: 4 Days Queenstown Lift Pass 3 x Adults Once clients exchange their voucher they will receive a mypass card from NZSki. There is a NZ$5 non-refundable fee paid direct for this card. Mypass is non-transferable and non-refundable The mypass card is embedded with radio frequency technology so there is no data stored on the actual card itself and therefore no security risk to the guest if the card is lost or stolen. If families insist on having a lesson together, (kids & adults) a Private lesson is the only option available to them and it is not recommended to group them together as the lesson will be catered more towards the children but can be booked direct as it is non commissionable product. EARLYBIRD LIFT PASS SPECIAL Provides full mountain lift access at applicable ski areas Book by 05 April 2019 Travel Period - All season (All days purchased must be used within 12 days of the first day pass used). Payment Full payment for this special is required by 05 April 2019 Lift Pass Conditions - Passes are NOT Queenstown Superpass and cannot be exchanged off mountain. Passes are not consecutive but all days must be used within 12 days of the first day pass used. Earlybird passes are non-transferrable and non-refundable. Queenstown passes will be valid at Mt Hutt if travelling between regions IMPORTANT NOTE: All ski products are non refundable. Valid for 2019 Ski Season Only
    ACCOMMODATION
    Room type: King Studio 3 PAX
    Ezibed-ANZCRO
    In: 21 Jul 2019 Out: 26 Jul 2019 - 5 Nights
    Bella Vista Queenstown, Queenstown
    IMPORTANT NOTE: This quote is valid only at the time given. The price quoted is dynamic and is therefore subject to change at any time and without notice.

10. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I don’t really buy this Red. Pak n Save Frankton had produce equally as good as New World and the seafood counter was heaps better (as it is at my local one in Mt Albert now). It’s true that New World has more of the high tone brands though. Countdown is low grade shit full stop.

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I sense this thread is digressing more than I envisaged.

So what the hell:
    Talking supermarkets, does anyone know if Arrowtown is any closer to a full on supermarket? As opposed to the handy but small gen store near the pub?

Have to say I love staying at Arrowtown, but a few basic services would really assist in its tourism potential, namely:

Proper petrol station;
    Proper scale supermarket;
    And a ski, clothing & chain hire - yes I know Q & W have them plus all Mtns do but who wants to stuff around on mtn or drive just to hire skis.

As A gets bigger, I reckon these gaps need filling.

As it is I buy petrol elsewhere, I bring my own Tele skis & boots & I buy up big at Frankton or W, while staying at A we did small top ups at the gen store.

On the plus side, Frankton is only 20 mins while on the 'back road' (Ie Coronet access) Q is only ~ 30 mins - a tad less to the supermarket.

12. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

It is literally the foodstuffs business model eh.

13. Donzah

NZ needs Aldi

14. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Coming, apparently

15. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

There is a 4Square super market in arrowtown, its just not in the "cbd" of the town. https://goo.gl/maps/y7zSLMha44r
    Arrowtown has a "proper" petrol station. Its sells petrol. No one in NZ uses cash and not all petrol stations need shops..
    Arrowtown doesnt want to get bigger. Perhaps you have missed all the bumper stickers that say " I Love Arrowtown THE WAY IT IS" Thats the general tone of a town full of OAP's in a part of the country that generally fears change...

Zimbooo and snowgum like this.
  16. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

you’re going to feel like youve been shafted no matter which one you go to!

17. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

So, if you had booked this yourself going direct to the resort for the lift tickets and direct to Bella Vista for the accom before April 5 this would have been the cost.
    3 x $299NZ (earlybird price) = $897NZ
    5 nights at Bella Vista Queenstown = $938NZ (taken from their website).
    TOTAL = $1835NZ
    TOTAL -= $1750AUS
    The quote of $2300 wasn't a good deal!!!
    P.S. Bella Vista is a standard motel near Pinewood Lodge and Reavers Lodge. About a 5-10 minute flat walk into town. No views from that location, but for a boys short stay it would be OK.
    If you jump up to about $220NZ per night, you can get 1 bedroom apartments (that sleep 3) with full kitchens and views over the town and mountains. Have a look on airbnb as well........some good deals on there.

18. snowgum

Cheers for the info. Staying W thus year but will suss out store on a day visit - handy to know for next time!!

Must admit we like AT pretty small too. Central Qt too teany boppy for us oldies to stay!

Petrol in town v handy though is that the old garage on lhs as you enter town from QT?

19. mannyk

Thanks Mate for the info.

20. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Supermarket also sells dads pie AKA Fairlie Bakehouse Pies. which makes it worth a visit
    Petrol is on the right hand side of the main roundabout after you come from QT. across the road from the garage. Self service, Card only. It does the job though!

snowgum and ScottGN like this.
  21. snowgum

Cheers for the info - will pop in to check out the pies - will definitely stop at Provisions on the main drag - their sticky buns go down easily with coffee before a ski or a chill out day.

22. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

After doing QT and skiing QT a couple years back and then staying in Wanaka to ski Cardrona and TC, this year we're staying in QT and doing Cardrona for three days and Coronet/Rem for one each. We rented a Fiat Punto previously and never had a problem zipping around the roads and getting up and down the mountains. Although we are renting a 4WD this season, some of the comments on this thread are starting to make me question my sanity with regards to driving times and state of the roads.

I'm guessing it's like anything, it depends on the time and the weather, and it seems I've just been fortunate in the past. And thanks for the tips on supermarkets. Who would have thought this forum would be such a deep well of varied information. :thumbs:

23. snowgum

A 4wd takes much of the work & worry out of the equation - as a holiday should be.

As for snowy roads & chain use, it can vary so much year to year & week to week.

But I can testify that early Sept can be quite sunny & ‘warm’ in a good week. With Some lovely corn snow that’s not nearly as slushy as Aussie corn in the arvo.

24. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Im following this as ill be taking 13yo over and never skiied nz. We say in aus mid july on is reliable....whats treble cone etc reliable from to book ahead? Cheers

25. craighelo

craighelo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes, same for TC Mid July at the earliest.

mr likes this.