1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Playground Chair mid station hut

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Echo Base, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

While reminiscing about the now retired Playground chair, I did spot ah building that I had forgotten about: The small hut and deck to the north of the current mid station.Is this the original mid station?
    If so, those trees down hill of it have grown quite well over the years and they must have moved some towers at some point (which I doubt). I don't recall seeing this building for some time, and going by a few helmet cam videos on youtube, it looks to have gone about 2015 ish.
    Does anyone know the origin and/or fate of this structure?

(google street view circa 2014)

Bogong likes this.
  2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Playground was opened for the 1969 ski season when it went all the way down to Swindlers Creek. It was shortened in 1993 to allow its base area to be used by the Village /Audi quad chair.

No idea about the hut near the mid station, but someone has written a brief history of the lift at https://www.australianmountains.com/#Playground

It says...
    ... When the Sun Run T-bar was built in 1979, Playground’s mid station was removed as the new T-bar duplicated the upper section of Playground. After Sun Run T-bar was replaced by the much longer Road Runner quad chair in 1995, an improvised mid station made from snow was utilised for a year or two before a proper mid station was rebuilt around 1996 or 1997...

Echo Base likes this.
  3. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

That hut was built recently as a coffee location. I think in about 2003 or 04 I had coffee there on the deck.
    Like a couple of other food facilities on the hill, I believe this location was leased and then left un-used.

Echo Base and Bogong like this.
  4. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

That makes sense, and with it not being used in the last ten years or so, It's no surprise it was removed.