PM's Heads up of changes coming

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
OK the old "Private Messages" or now "Conversations" are changing.

To import from UBB we had to open up "unlimited PM's" or risk crashing the migration as people exceeded their quota and throwing errors. However that is about to change. Next week (last week of November) I will be putting a quota on how many conversations you can have. This will lock out anyone that exceeds that and I ASSUME that you will then just have to delete excess ones before continuing. It is a slim possibility that the system will do something weird and just delete excess ones in which case you would have no say in it.

So sort your PM's out. Standard users will be limited to 20 conversations. There will be options introduced to increase this but more details to follow on that later. So I suggest you reduce your conversations to less than 20 prior to next week for when I turn that on.

You can select one or all on a page and choose "leave conversation".

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Can you merge conversations? Mine were split up in the migration.

No. I warned of that a few weeks before the migration that it was a limitation of the migration. There is technical reason for this but basically it was because we had to go through quite a convoluted process to go from UBB to Xenforo - there is no straight migration path. One of those steps resulted in cutting them into individual posts and there was no way around that.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
So is a "conversation" a topic or a single message?

Looking at my PM's, there were 64 "conversations", each of which were single PM's. I'd have thought that a "conversation" would be a topic or thread rather than a single message. 20 messages seems way too restrictive as it's not hard to exchange 20 messages with someone on a topic.

I guess this is what TP means by merging conversations?

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
A conversation is a topic, a string of interactions with someone else. So 20 separate conversations with different people.

No they can't be merged, believe me I tried.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I went and deleted all my PMs prior to the change, but they've all reappeared. So I'm going to have to do it a second time.

Most likely because the person or persons involved in the PM's from the other end did not delete theirs.

Hence,.... When the new system rebooted,..... you were seen as a "participant" in those PM's,.... Hence why they re-appeared.

I had 52 pages of those,..... & pre new software,..... I had reduced my PM count to zero.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
i have 1500 conversations. there is no bulk delete, you can bulk select, but not do anything with them afterwards. Im not going to go through them all one at a time, if the software deletes them fine. if it forces me to delete all of them one by one i will give up.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I'm in the same boat.

I cleaned mine up before the upgrade, but now I have 50+ pages of stuff that go back 4+ years.

how do I go about deleting all of these in bulk?

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
there were many i wanted to keep but the room was not there. especially when the change over split multipost threads into many many threads.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass